Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Quote from: Orior on June 07, 2020, 02:44:05 PM
Do you spray cleaner oil over your chain and gears before your cycle or after your cycle or both?

Dunno who that question is too but absolutely not. Disk brakes on my bike so will be spraying nothing. But yes you do need to keep your chain and cassette clean on a regular basis, summer time is obviously better as there is generally not as much dirt on the roads. Winter runs would need cleaning more regular
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Orior

On my first bike, I had a small piece of rubber tube which dangled on the axle of each wheel.

Have to say it worked a treat.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Orior on June 07, 2020, 02:44:05 PM
Do you spray cleaner oil over your chain and gears before your cycle or after your cycle or both?
Every few cycles is fine.
Unless you're doing serious kms in poor weather

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

trueblue1234

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

illdecide

Quote from: laoislad on June 16, 2020, 10:29:39 AM
Close call!!  :o
https://youtu.be/SVmLNWoEcp4

Thats just crazy...looks like a guy who seen the Garda sign ahead and thought..."I'm too far from home here I better turn and go back before they question me" If there had been a car coming the other side of the road he was dead...Can't believe that.

JoG2

3 of us almost wiped out last Thursday on the back roads of Inishowen around 7.30am. Toyota Rav literally brushed against us going about 70. Put the fear of god in us. 1st incident like that in about 40 lockdown morning cycles

JimStynes

Quote from: JoG2 on June 16, 2020, 10:45:05 AM
3 of us almost wiped out last Thursday on the back roads of Inishowen around 7.30am. Toyota Rav literally brushed against us going about 70. Put the fear of god in us. 1st incident like that in about 40 lockdown morning cycles

Happened me 3 times and after the 3rd time I didn't get on the bike for a long time. It's such a dangerous sport at times.

Orior

Quote from: illdecide on June 16, 2020, 10:41:29 AM
Quote from: laoislad on June 16, 2020, 10:29:39 AM
Close call!!  :o
https://youtu.be/SVmLNWoEcp4

Thats just crazy...looks like a guy who seen the Garda sign ahead and thought..."I'm too far from home here I better turn and go back before they question me" If there had been a car coming the other side of the road he was dead...Can't believe that.

That Garda sign was far too small, and the cyclist saw it before the driver. And the cyclist probably had his headphones in and music playing.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

illdecide

Booked a cheeky cycling week in Spain for middle of October...Whats the odds of it happening? Would love something to focus on for the year as it's been tough but TBH if it doesn't happen i'll not get too down about it

grounded

Quote from: JimStynes on June 16, 2020, 10:53:13 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on June 16, 2020, 10:45:05 AM

Happened me 3 times and after the 3rd time I didn't get on the bike for a long time. It's such a dangerous sport at times.

Yep, having a camera (facing behind) is a necessity and report actions like that. If drivers realised that there was a strong likelihood that they could be recorded by any cyclist then bad behaviour might be improved.

majestic

Got a chunky cycle to work certificate coming soon, what I want to know is, whats the best piece of cycling kit you own? My use will mainly be cycle to work from carryduff into belfast. I'm thinking winter boots, and a good jacket are top of the list.

GJL

Quote from: majestic on July 07, 2020, 09:12:24 AM
Got a chunky cycle to work certificate coming soon, what I want to know is, whats the best piece of cycling kit you own? My use will mainly be cycle to work from carryduff into belfast. I'm thinking winter boots, and a good jacket are top of the list.

Lots of high vis clothing and good quality front and rear lights if you're going to be on the road especially in rush hour traffic.

bennydorano

Get 2 or 3 different blinky lights on the back. Planet x have a good selection for a few pound a go. I've lights on the go all year round.

maddog

Quote from: bennydorano on July 07, 2020, 11:26:30 AM
Get 2 or 3 different blinky lights on the back. Planet x have a good selection for a few pound a go. I've lights on the go all year round.

There is one made by a company called Blackburn that is very bright. Knog blinder is very good too.