Quinn Insurance in Administration

Started by An Gaeilgoir, March 30, 2010, 12:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: square_ball on November 06, 2019, 12:46:06 PM
Quote from: gallsman on November 06, 2019, 12:36:59 PM
Quote from: square_ball on November 06, 2019, 12:20:46 PM
By the sounds of it they are highly intelligent men they could walk into a high paying job without the threats hanging over their heads. I'm just saying the thought would certainly be high up in my mind. Yes it's letting them win but I don't know if I personally could live my life in the current conditions.

As I say they are brave for continuing and fair play to them for that.

I'm the Fermanagh-Cavan area?

Are they restricted to just the Fermanagh-Cavan area for work?

Of course not, but that's not the point, is it?

yellowcard

Quote from: supersarsfields on November 06, 2019, 12:54:04 PM
Quote from: Angelo on November 06, 2019, 12:03:37 PM
So what do the Pro Quinn posters here believe is the motive behind these attacks now that you can effectively rule out extortion?

Do they really believe this is vingilantism when it's clearly heavily funded by a moneyman?

If that was aimed at me, I had never claimed it was extortion. But it's equally as clear that the result of the attack is bad news for SQ. So do I think he was orchestrating things, No.   

Haven't really followed the story totally either but if it wasn't SQ orchestrating things then surely it was someone with a lot to gain financially from him regaining control of the business. If it is not SQ personally, then it would appear to be somebody close to him. Even if you simply sympathised with SQ's plight, that would not be enough to burn peoples homes, business, issue death threats and punishment beatings. That would just be the actions of a psychopath and you would think that there would have to be some other motive financial related. To claim extortion simply does not look feasible in this case especially when you hear of Lunney saying that he heard his attackers making a phonecall back to their boss on their way to driving him to a remote location before the beating.

supersarsfields

Quote from: yellowcard on November 06, 2019, 01:25:36 PM
So what do the Pro Quinn posters here believe is the motive behind these attacks now that you can effectively rule out extortion?

Do they really believe this is vingilantism when it's clearly heavily funded by a moneyman?

If that was aimed at me, I had never claimed it was extortion. But it's equally as clear that the result of the attack is bad news for SQ. So do I think he was orchestrating things, No.   

Haven't really followed the story totally either but if it wasn't SQ orchestrating things then surely it was someone with a lot to gain financially from him regaining control of the business. If it is not SQ personally, then it would appear to be somebody close to him. Even if you simply sympathised with SQ's plight, that would not be enough to burn peoples homes, business, issue death threats and punishment beatings. That would just be the actions of a psychopath and you would think that there would have to be some other motive financial related. To claim extortion simply does not look feasible in this case especially when you hear of Lunney saying that he heard his attackers making a phonecall back to their boss on their way to driving him to a remote location before the beating.

I wouldn't and haven't argued that it wasn't been done in SQ's name. You have to remember the level of support he had in the local area and how motivated some people were in his support. He had 5000 people on the streets in Ballyconnell in the past. He helped a lot of local families over the years and it's been obvious the level of loyalty to him was fairly unique.
But I can't square how this attack would have worked in SQ's favour. There was always going to be a huge public outcry, there was always going to be huge media focus on the Quinns as a result, regardless of whether he's not involved directly it was always going to reflect bad on him and there was always going to be people pointing the finger at him. None of that works in his favour in trying to gain financial backing to be in a position to purchase QIH which was what SQ's end goal was. It would take stupidity of the highest level to be involved. And I don't think he's stupid.

Dire Ear

I really don't know enough about this case to be on one side or another.
But,  on a purely observational level,  did anyone else think that Kevin Lunney looked like he was lying in parts of that last night?  Just on body language....
Of course I know how tough the interview was given the beating,  fear for his family,  pure emotion of recalling the harrowing events of that night.. etc.

Franko

Quote from: Dire Ear on November 06, 2019, 02:12:15 PM
But,  on a purely observational level,  did anyone else think that Kevin Lunney looked like he was lying in parts of that last night?  Just on body language....
Of course I know how tough the interview was given the beating,  fear for his family,  pure emotion of recalling the harrowing events of that night.. etc.

Not on any level, whatsoever.  If anything I thought he came across as a very genuine and honest man.

Rois

Quote from: square_ball on November 06, 2019, 12:20:46 PM
By the sounds of it they are highly intelligent men they could walk into a high paying job without the threats hanging over their heads. I'm just saying the thought would certainly be high up in my mind. Yes it's letting them win but I don't know if I personally could live my life in the current conditions.

As I say they are brave for continuing and fair play to them for that.

They own part of the company.  Not so easy to leave. 

quit yo jibbajabba

Didnt catch it all but talking about lying i thought when SQ was asked about the attack his body language wasnt great to say the least, an expert couldve had a field day

Angelo

Quote from: supersarsfields on November 06, 2019, 01:38:03 PM

I wouldn't and haven't argued that it wasn't been done in SQ's name. You have to remember the level of support he had in the local area and how motivated some people were in his support. He had 5000 people on the streets in Ballyconnell in the past. He helped a lot of local families over the years and it's been obvious the level of loyalty to him was fairly unique.
But I can't square how this attack would have worked in SQ's favour. There was always going to be a huge public outcry, there was always going to be huge media focus on the Quinns as a result, regardless of whether he's not involved directly it was always going to reflect bad on him and there was always going to be people pointing the finger at him. None of that works in his favour in trying to gain financial backing to be in a position to purchase QIH which was what SQ's end goal was. It would take stupidity of the highest level to be involved. And I don't think he's stupid.

It works in his favour if it's successful, if the directors step down and the business goes on the market. It works in his favour if the campaign of violence and intimidation is threatened against anyone else who wishes to purchase it other than SQ.

This is the same family, let us not forget, that hid assets to the value of hundreds of millions in order to renege on debts they had accumulated. They decided the taxpayer would have to pick it up.

It's quite clear SQ couldn't give a damn about anyone but himself.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Dire Ear

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on November 06, 2019, 02:34:54 PM

Didnt catch it all but talking about lying i thought when SQ was asked about the attack his body language wasnt great to say the least, an expert couldve had a field day
It's a fascinating subject

supersarsfields

Quote from: Angelo on November 06, 2019, 02:37:10 PM
Quote from: supersarsfields on November 06, 2019, 01:38:03 PM

It works in his favour if it's successful, if the directors step down and the business goes on the market.
It works in his favour if the campaign of violence and intimidation is threatened against anyone else who wishes to purchase it other than SQ.

This is the same family, let us not forget, that hid assets to the value of hundreds of millions in order to renege on debts they had accumulated. They decided the taxpayer would have to pick it up.

Not unless he was able to purchase it with investment. Of which he has ruled himself out of doing. That beside the point that there's enough mud there now that he's unlikely to get investment in any business venture again.   

yellowcard

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on November 06, 2019, 02:34:54 PM

I would be similar in that I don't really know enough about the story that people living in the area would do. However it never even crossed my mind that Lunney was lying, it certainly never appeared that way to me. Nor did I think that SQ was necessarily lying either but I never seen the full C4 interview and that's not to say that either weren't.   

Jim_Murphy_74

It works in his favour if it's successful, if the directors step down and the business goes on the market. It works in his favour if the campaign of violence and intimidation is threatened against anyone else who wishes to purchase it other than SQ.

Another executive was on Pat Kenny's radio show yesterday and he made a couple of points.  Firstly, he claims it was their intention from the start to get Sean Quinn "back behind his desk".  He said they were to revive and maintain company while Quinn "rehabilitated" financially.   Secondly, he said that under no circumstances would his parent company put the business on the market.  He said the risk for them of setting a precedent of conceding to these tactics would far outweigh the cost of just shutting the whole lot down.   

So basically he said anyone thinking that Sean Quinn or anyone else would profit from them walking away was purely delusional.

/Jim.

Angelo

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on November 06, 2019, 03:51:08 PM

Another executive was on Pat Kenny's radio show yesterday and he made a couple of points.  Firstly, he claims it was their intention from the start to get Sean Quinn "back behind his desk".  He said they were to revive and maintain company while Quinn "rehabilitated" financially.   Secondly, he said that under no circumstances would his parent company put the business on the market.  He said the risk for them of setting a precedent of conceding to these tactics would far outweigh the cost of just shutting the whole lot down.   

So basically he said anyone thinking that Sean Quinn or anyone else would profit from them walking away was purely delusional.

/Jim.

That campaign has failed but the intention of it was for the Quinn family to profit from it and I can see only one family who would reaped the rewards from the campaign succeeding.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Itchy

I wonder why Lunney and McCartin were never asked about how they themselves gained from violence against the previous buyers? Bullets were sent in the post, threats made and a flaming kerosene truck was driven through the reception to name but a few things. These acts were perpetrated by most likely the same group and they forced the last buyers out and allowed the current consortium in. Who knew about that?

five points

Quote from: Itchy on November 06, 2019, 05:54:40 PM
I wonder why Lunney and McCartin were never asked about how they themselves gained from violence against the previous buyers? Bullets were sent in the post, threats made and a flaming kerosene truck was driven through the reception to name but a few things. These acts were perpetrated by most likely the same group and they forced the last buyers out and allowed the current consortium in. Who knew about that?

Wasn't Anglo/IBRC the owner back then? They never had any strategic interest in holding onto the Quinn properties so it wouldn't be accurate to say that they were forced out.