Previous topic - Next topic

Square Ball

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on April 14, 2010, 09:30:00 PM
What version of IE are you running?

7 I think, I can find the manager bit and they are all enabled
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

ardmhachaabu

It couldn't be that important to the browser then, don't worry about it
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

flantheman82

I have a few series of 24. All separate zipped files.
Is there any way of unzipping these all in one go rather than tediously going through each one? Using winzip at the moment.
Thanks

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: Mac Eoghain on April 24, 2010, 10:22:57 AM
Does anyone have any experience of using SWF files - I have a compiled swf that I looking to remove/amend an image from and dont have the original fla - sothink costs so if anyone has the software already maybe I could send the swf?

I did have one installed once. Will check the computer to see if it's still installed when I get back to it. Think I probably got it from a torrent site at that time.

Don't really use flash any more. 

bigfrank

In the past few days a few keys on keyboard have stopped workin for a while and then a few more different ones stop working when other ones start working again if that makes sense......is keyboard f$$ked or is there a way of re installing it or fixing it that i wouldnt know about..............cheers

Main Street

Doesn't sound like the after-effects from a coffee spillage.

Could be a few ball bearings rolling around under the keys  ;D

bigfrank

Judges Ruling please....can that we counted as a joke.....

Carmen Stateside

Just go buy a new keyboard!

Hardy

I seem to have a nasty virus that prevents me from downloading or installing anti-virus software. When I try to connect to any anti-virus website - Avast, AVG, McAfee, etc. my browser tells me he URL is unavailable. Same for Microsoft.com.

My existing antivirus (Avast) doesn't find anything wrong in a scan and of course it can't update its virus database because it can't contact the website.

Spybot and Malwarebytes don't find anything either.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Main Street

Quote from: bigfrank on May 07, 2010, 02:04:53 PM
Judges Ruling please....can that we counted as a joke.....
A keyboard is a delicate piece of engineering that facilitates the action of a key pushed on the board to be represented with effect on a computer screen. 
It is not absurd to consider that there may be some foreign matter moving around under the keys affecting the contact and would account for different keys being affected at different times.
If it were a software problem with your OS,  then the simple thing is to plug the keyboard into another computer and see how it functions.  If it still does not function and there is no obvious dirt under the keys, then replace it.

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: Hardy on May 07, 2010, 07:44:26 PM
I seem to have a nasty virus that prevents me from downloading or installing anti-virus software. When I try to connect to any anti-virus website - Avast, AVG, McAfee, etc. my browser tells me he URL is unavailable. Same for Microsoft.com.

My existing antivirus (Avast) doesn't find anything wrong in a scan and of course it can't update its virus database because it can't contact the website.

Did you try in Safe mode?

Square Ball

Quote from: Hardy on May 07, 2010, 07:44:26 PM

Hardy

seems similar to one I had. I had to do a restore to get rid of it. are you able to update malaware? I wasnt able to and kept getting an error code
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Hardy

Thanks for the suggestions lads. I'm really stymied with this one. I'd tried system restore, safe mode and installing antivirus SW downloaded on another PC to no avail. I hadn't tried MSE, Mac Eoghain but tried it this morning with the same problem as the others: all these require access to their website, either as part of the system install or to update the virus definitions, without which they won't run the first scan . And that's the bit the virus is preventing them doing. I've tried Avast, AVG, McAfee and maybe some others I can't remember.

I can't check it in safe mode because I can't access my internet connection in safe mode. I've system restored back to the oldest available point (February) and the problem persists - obviously the bastard was around a long time before I noticed it.

There's nothing dodgy-looking visible in the registry, at least not in the Run keys.

I've searched help forums all over the place but can find nothing similar.

I don't want to do a complete re-format if I can at all help it.

Any ideas would be very welcome. For instance - does anyone know anti virus software that will install and run without having to access a website first?

aontroim

System restore can be a bit of a con with a lot of viruses now, as they can copy themselves into the system restore folders meaning they will still be there when you restore to a previous date.  Once the problem is sorted create a new restore point and delete all the old ones. 

I have used this site for extreme cases where the normal AV / malware apps couldnt shift the problem, though it can be painfully slow to get the first reply (but stick with it)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum79.html

Mhic Easmuint

You could try combofix:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

Used it many times with great results.