Computer Help

Started by Armagh Cúchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: gallsman on April 02, 2020, 10:04:11 AM
It's not safe to assume all new monitors will have a compatible display link cable I don't think so look case as they may have HDMI as well and might only give you that

Yeah this is what I am worried about especially since I can't actually get into a shop and get talking to someone about the output. Think going for an adaptor seems to be the way forward for the next month or so anyway.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 02, 2020, 09:30:54 AM
Ok lads, maybe someone alot more informed with technology can help me here.

I have a PC with a DVI-I (Dual Link) output, so it's relatively new.

What other slots you have in the graphics card? (Or is it onboard graphics and that is it?)

DVI isn't new, its quite old now. HDMI and display port are the main two now.

I've a broken monitor in the middle of this mess so I'm limited in my options, in my wisdom I did not know the output at some point changed so my only other monitor has a VGA input (the wee screws to the side and tighten job). It's a flat screen but it's fairly old I suppose.

My options seem to be...

Do you still have a VGA cable? In which case just get one of these:

Plug that into the back of your PC, plug your cable between that and the monitor.

That'd be the usual way its done.

Since your monitor is old, I'm assuming its not bigger than 1920x1200 resolution? In which case you don't need the dual link.

3) Buy a new Monitor online from Curries (assuming all new modern monitors will have the appropriate cable to connect to DVI-D by default ?)

You need to be very careful about that. Many cheaper monitors will now be HDMI and Displayport only.
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 02, 2020, 10:16:01 AM
Ok lads, maybe someone alot more informed with technology can help me here.

I have a PC with a DVI-I (Dual Link) output, so it's relatively new.

What other slots you have in the graphics card? (Or is it onboard graphics and that is it?)

DVI isn't new, its quite old now. HDMI and display port are the main two now.

I've a broken monitor in the middle of this mess so I'm limited in my options, in my wisdom I did not know the output at some point changed so my only other monitor has a VGA input (the wee screws to the side and tighten job). It's a flat screen but it's fairly old I suppose.

My options seem to be...

Do you still have a VGA cable? In which case just get one of these:

Plug that into the back of your PC, plug your cable between that and the monitor.

That'd be the usual way its done.

Since your monitor is old, I'm assuming its not bigger than 1920x1200 resolution? In which case you don't need the dual link so the single link cheaper adaptor would do.

3) Buy a new Monitor online from Curries (assuming all new modern monitors will have the appropriate cable to connect to DVI-D by default ?)

You need to be very careful about that. Many cheaper monitors will now be HDMI and Displayport only.
i usse an speelchekor

GetOverTheBar

I have the HDMI port and then just the DVI-D (Dual Link) port sorry - I got that from the wiki pic here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface#/media/File:DVI_Connector_Types.svg

Yes I have a VGA cable on the old monitor - I've ordered something similar to what you recommended from Amazon, this to be precise - I take it that'll be me - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07D3XZ9SD/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item_image

RadioGAAGAA

Yeah, that should do the trick.
i usse an speelchekor

GetOverTheBar

Milltown Row2

looking a computer/laptop for the kid going into lower 6th, £350 price range, whats the best in terms of rams size processor size and anything else that help
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 21, 2020, 03:44:36 PM
looking a computer/laptop for the kid going into lower 6th, £350 price range, whats the best in terms of rams size processor size and anything else that help
In the same boat here as with the missus and wains working from home for the foreseeable tempers are getting frayed over sharing a laptop! Luckily I have my own work one which is thankfully off limits to them!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 21, 2020, 06:22:48 PM
In the same boat here as with the missus and wains working from home for the foreseeable tempers are getting frayed over sharing a laptop! Luckily I have my own work one which is thankfully off limits to them!

Yeah mine is off limits I got the both ones 3 years ago. Seems to be the life span ffs!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Main Street

Cheapskates.
You could consider a chromebook, touchscreeen and is cool for kids   ----> a Lenova.  Though don't penny pinch by ignoring  the screen protector accessory.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Main Street on April 21, 2020, 07:47:59 PM
Cheapskates.
You could consider a chromebook, touchscreeen and is cool for kids   ----> a Lenova.  Though don't penny pinch by ignoring  the screen protector accessory.

I'll be forking out for two Mac books soon enough! Nothing cheap there  :-\ :-\

This is just to tide  her over till college, other one wil get here in September

Main Street

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 21, 2020, 08:03:18 PM
Quote from: Main Street on April 21, 2020, 07:47:59 PM
Cheapskates.

I'll be forking out for two Mac books soon enough! Nothing cheap there  :-\ :-\

This is just to tide  her over till college, other one wil get here in September
Thats why a Lenova  chromebook makes good sense.

RadioGAAGAA

I've got from here in the past:
https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/st/refurbished-laptops?rangeattribute=1~149~350

Hard to beat their prices - I'd advise refurbished rather than new - you'll get more for your money.

Of all they have, at under 350 quid this is prob the compromise I'd go for:
https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/refurbished-lenovo-t430-core-i5-3210m-8gb-120gb-14-inch-windows-10-pro-lapt-t3-t430-uk-cb01/version.asp

i usse an speelchekor

Milltown Row2

I work with a thinkpad! Have used them for past 6 years, due the new touch screen one next month. Great computer.

As a refurbished computer are you definitely getting good speed from it?

These laptops they throw out at curry's don't last

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 21, 2020, 10:05:37 PM
I work with a thinkpad! Have used them for past 6 years, due the new touch screen one next month. Great computer.

As a refurbished computer are you definitely getting good speed from it?

These laptops they throw out at curry's don't last

The only real differences from old to new would be:

- battery - but could check as part of refurb they're putting a new battery in it
- dust inside - could check as part of refurb they are cleaning it

In a laptop, due to the lower power (=lower voltage) of the CPUs, electromigration isn't really a big deal - so the hardware shouldn't "wear out".

I've had no issues with refurb'd laptops in the past - it has been years since I've got a "new" one though.
i usse an speelchekor