PuC and the Liam Miller Fundraiser

Started by Baile Brigín 2, July 18, 2018, 03:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on July 23, 2018, 03:12:33 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on July 23, 2018, 02:37:05 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 23, 2018, 02:23:43 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 23, 2018, 11:30:20 AM
My gut feeling is the game will go ahead in PUC and will draw a crowd of around 20-25,000.
The last couple of days has demonstrated for me that there are a significant number of ordinary, decent, frustrated and annoyed people who would like this game to go ahead in PUC for all the right reasons, but there are also a lot of very bitter soccer fans who see this as an opportunity to stick the knife into the GAA.
The latter cohort have been very vocal on social media, however, I doubt they have any intention of attending the game.
Most of them seem to be Shamrock Rovers fans anyway.
When it was incorrectly reported that PUC was going to be opened for the game, it quickly became apparent that this wasn't really about Liam Miller for them.

Again, the GAA suits proved those people right this firm Jinxy. There's something horribly wrong culturally in GAA officialdom when you look at some of the insane decisions made in the last 12 months.

Whoever their PR guy is, he needs to go. There will be case studies done in future using the GAA's handling of events recently as WHAT NOT TO DO when dealing with a crisis.

Their latest screw up is yet another own goal. It's one thing to announce they plan on meeting with the organisers of the game but it turns out they released this statement on twitter before they had even picked up the phone/sent an e-mail to set it up!!!

They really are their own worst enemy. It seems the suits in Croke Park think they are right and everyone else is in the wrong. Clearly they have learned nothing from the Newbridge fiasco

Lisa Clancy used to be head of communications and prior to that role she worked for the HSE I think.
It's Alan Milton now, but he comes from a journalism background as far as I'm aware.
He was an absolute disaster on the radio after the Newbridge affair was resolved.
This is why big organisations need professional PR types.
They are hard-wired to think a couple of steps ahead and understand the importance of optics.
Once the public turn on you, you're into damage limitation territory.
Alan Milton was out of his depth in that Newbridge interview.
The GAA has had a few nightmares recently and has a serious problem understanding social media and how to deal with it.
They don't seem to know how to act strategically- when to make their point, and when to cede what doesn't actually matter.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Billys Boots

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 23, 2018, 03:11:34 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 23, 2018, 02:12:07 PM
I'm starting to think you are Paul Kimmage.  ;D

My grammer and punctuation are better

But not the spelling.   :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Jinxy

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 23, 2018, 03:11:34 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 23, 2018, 02:12:07 PM
I'm starting to think you are Paul Kimmage.  ;D

My grammer and punctuation are better

;)
Welcome aboard, Paul.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Shamrock Shore

Bernard Flynn tweeting game now on in PuC

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 23, 2018, 11:26:43 PM
Bernard Flynn tweeting game now on in PuC

There will be a sickening number of autographs signed after this one..

rrhf

Big day for John Horan. Following this he needs to put our house in order.

johnnycool

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 23, 2018, 12:53:25 PM
Quote from: trailer on July 23, 2018, 12:37:02 PM
Couple of questions.
1) Why can the FAI or Soccer community not play the game in a Soccer stadium in Cork?
2) Who was responsible for announcing the game without a venue?
3) Why does the match have to be played in Cork?
4) How many will be at the game?

1. They are.

2. They didnt.

3. Because its a charity game for Cork to commemorate a Cork man. Why did the GAA play Anto Finnegsns fundraiser in a rugby venue in Belfast?

4. The 7,500 current tickets sold out in 60 seconds.

Just to clarify this point, The GAA didn't go to Ulster Rugby for access to Ravenhill, it was the team organising the fundraiser with Anto, just like the FAI have nothing to do with the Liam Millar fund raiser.

I presume Anto and their fundraising team had their own public liability insurance as well.

five points

Quote from: Billys Boots on July 23, 2018, 12:30:03 PM
Quote from: five points on July 19, 2018, 02:05:32 PM
Quote from: Jayop on July 18, 2018, 03:59:07 PM
Should they have allowed this? Of course. Could they without passing a motion at congress? Probably not.

The fact that this is nothing more than a charity game could perhaps have gotten around the rules but wasn't there even a thing in Longford where they allowed facilities be used for a kids summer camp for soccer and got punished by HQ??

That article in the rules needs to go especially f the American Football is somehow being allowed.

Not unrelated to the fact that a Premiership soccer star jetted in and bragged to the local media something stupid about soccer taking over from Irish football in that part of the world.  He ended up paying the fine for the club.

Your first claim is false.  Your second claim is true.

So Carragher didn't make the statement that the Longford Leader, among others, reported?

Smokin Joe

I must be missing something, but why don't the Liam Miller organising committee call it a GAA match?
If none of the players handle the ball then so be it.

Sorted!

blanketattack

Why does someone who earned over £10 million, has a large PFA pension and has the mortgage paid off need a fundraiser for his family?

Gabriel_Hurl

smelmoth

For those who claim this is a FAI problem and reflects badly on that organisation, can they help me with these;

1. The GAA decline to host a charity fund raiser notwithstanding that they have the most suitable facility. This does not reflect badly on the GAA because.......?

2. GAA claim it's their own rules that prevent their support of a good cause and that these rules cannot be reviewed until next year. This does not reflect badly on the GAA because.......?

3. GAA cannot agree if their own rules allow them to support this good cause in the manner requested. This does not reflect badly on the GAA because.......?

4. The GAA accept funding on the condition that they use a specific facility to support charitable activity and then proceed to refuse the requested use of the facility for a charitable event. This does not reflect badly on the GAA because.......?

sligoman2

In my opinion the gaa need to be more proactive. This is 2018 and they won't get away with doing things the old way.  I'm not saying they are at fault here but they are relying on a system that can only change things once a year, which won't cut it in the modern era.  People are tuned in to social media, phones, websites Etc, not like the old days when all the news you got was from one tv station, the indo or the neighbour while smoking a fag outside the church after mass.
The days of dictates like the ban or changing venues for profit are over.  This is not about promoting another sport it's about charity and I hope common sense prevails.  The gaa need some policy changes to allow them to deal with "unforeseen events" on the fly and not waiting foe a congress that could be 12 months away...
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.