2018 NFL Division 2

Started by tippabu, December 31, 2017, 11:54:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

Meath hurling has improved

Look-Up!

Quote from: Itchy on March 12, 2018, 11:15:02 PM

It is hard to believe how bad Meath are. Big county with a big population and a growing population. To me it stinks of a total mismanagement by county board in terms of harnessing that population.Its almost sad to see it happening, almost ;)

Leinster populations in general have snowballed over the last 20 years or so but apart from Dublin there has been little progress elsewhere football wise in Leinster counties. Has rugby or soccer badly effected GAA participation in those counties? I'm not going off any stats but I'd imagine rugby has become increasingly popular in Meath. Also for a county with many big towns their club scene is nothing to write home about. Rugby clubs tend to have a better organised playing schedule than GAA and a much more structured training regime which may appeal better to younger sports people. Maybe the GAA has dropped the ball a bit in Leinster and over invested in Dublin GAA?

Kurtz

Quote from: Look-Up! on March 13, 2018, 09:54:58 AM

It is hard to believe how bad Meath are. Big county with a big population and a growing population. To me it stinks of a total mismanagement by county board in terms of harnessing that population.Its almost sad to see it happening, almost ;)

Leinster populations in general have snowballed over the last 20 years or so but apart from Dublin there has been little progress elsewhere football wise in Leinster counties. Has rugby or soccer badly effected GAA participation in those counties? I'm not going off any stats but I'd imagine rugby has become increasingly popular in Meath. Also for a county with many big towns their club scene is nothing to write home about. Rugby clubs tend to have a better organised playing schedule than GAA and a much more structured training regime which may appeal better to younger sports people. Maybe the GAA has dropped the ball a bit in Leinster and over invested in Dublin GAA?

I have friends in Meath who are big GAA fans
All of their kids play Rugby
of course this is just people I know but it gives you an idea

Rossfan

The snowballing of Leinster's population would be mainly in Louth Meath Wicklow and Kildare I suspect?
About 725k in those Counties now and a much higher number under 30 than the national average.
I suspect the GAA clubs have the same number of volunteers and structure as they had before the big increases in population?
Definitely time the "GAA needs successful Leinster Counties".
As for the rest of us.......... .
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

There's just so much more to do in Meath compared to most other counties.
We have a vibrant visual and performing arts scene and there is a resurgence in the popularity of musical theatre, which had been banned until recently.
Kids have lots of choices nowadays.
Compare this with Mayo, where it's a choice between football and picking rocks out of a field to boil for your dinner; or Cavan, where it's a choice between football and arguing with disobedient farm animals.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Jinxy on March 13, 2018, 10:24:41 AM
We have a vibrant visual and performing arts scene and there is a resurgence in the popularity of musical theatre, which had been banned until recently.
Compare this with Mayo, where it's a choice between football and picking rocks out of a field to boil for your dinner; or Cavan, where it's a choice between football and arguing with disobedient farm animals.

And there's Bettystown. Don't forget Bettystown.

Aristo 60

I argued with a crazy aul goat in Breffni on Saturday night !

Look-Up!

Quote from: Kurtz on March 13, 2018, 10:03:12 AM

Out of interest are they still in the area they grew up in? Affiliation is a big thing in the GAA and club can be a big part of the family and community. With mass movement of people and a big influx of population into a certain area that affiliation can be gone. People new to the area might be apathetic to the GAA club and not particularly bothered on their kids joining. They would more likely just be glad to see their kids playing a sport (any sport) and leading healthy lives with a good network of friends. There could be more of a need for a proactive recruitment drive from GAA clubs in order to avail of these new numbers. But PR requires money and resources that may not be available. Maybe affiliation is so ingrained in the GAA it has made it lazy and complacent?   

Jinxy

Look, lets not beat around the bush here.
We all know the Dubs are to blame.

Rossfan

Once a towns population rises over a certain figure set up a new club based on the new housing estates.
Youngsters will grow up with it being their club.
Established clubs run by oul bucks suspicious of blow ins aren't the most welcoming of places.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

Quote from: Look-Up! on March 13, 2018, 11:23:05 AM

Look-Up!

Quote from: Rossfan on March 13, 2018, 11:39:35 AM
Once a towns population rises over a certain figure set up a new club based on the new housing estates.
Youngsters will grow up with it being their club.
Established clubs run by oul bucks suspicious of blow ins aren't the most welcoming of places.

Huge capital investment would be needed in that scenario. Even if capital was available I don't think more clubs are needed. Improving what we have would be the way to go. Changing our approach and as you said changing attitudes.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Jinxy on March 13, 2018, 11:47:53 AM
Quote from: Look-Up! on March 13, 2018, 11:23:05 AM

There's quite a bit of the green and red in that photo. Blowins?

Itchy

Quote from: Aristo 60 on March 13, 2018, 11:28:04 AM

I argued with a crazy aul goat in Breffni on Saturday night !

If you stopped trying to mount the goat she wouldnt argue with you.

Kurtz

Quote from: Look-Up! on March 13, 2018, 11:32:36 AM
Quote from: Kurtz on March 13, 2018, 10:03:12 AM

Out of interest are they still in the area they grew up in? Affiliation is a big thing in the GAA and club can be a big part of the family and community. With mass movement of people and a big influx of population into a certain area that affiliation can be gone. People new to the area might be apathetic to the GAA club and not particularly bothered on their kids joining. They would more likely just be glad to see their kids playing a sport (any sport) and leading healthy lives with a good network of friends. There could be more of a need for a proactive recruitment drive from GAA clubs in order to avail of these new numbers. But PR requires money and resources that may not be available. Maybe affiliation is so ingrained in the GAA it has made it lazy and complacent?

Some are native Meath (Nobber and Ashbourne).
Others are blowins from the West and Dublin
They would have settled in late 90's