Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG

That would be quite funny to see how many players would actually turn out for him.

He would soon have a little taste of his own medicine then.

Would nearly be worth it just to see his reaction to it.

GerryFromDerry

Quote from: hardstation on May 21, 2008, 04:12:32 PM
I propose Jesus Christ from the Holyland area of Belfast. Son of Joe and Mary Christ. Jesus played his football with St.Malachy's and performed many miracles for the men in yellow and black.
He once cured Lazarus McParland in a game against Ardoyne Kickhams. Lazarus took a nasty blow to the temple from a man swinging a hammer. All thought he was dead and got on with the fight but Jesus had other ideas. He approached Lazarus with caution, grabbed him by the collar and gently whispered, "Get up you lapping bastard ya". Lazarus rose and emptied the Ardoyne full back. To this day, when Lazarus' sister, Martha, meets Jesus in the street, she screams "Sweet Jesus". It is thought that this is due to Jesus flashing his willy at her.
Another miracle that he often performed was a favourite of his team mates. Turning water into cider. His abilty to do this landed him a job in the Rose and Crown Bar. Jesus is totally opposed to the new water charges.
Always very kind to his mother and can often be seen dandering across the river to Dunnes to pick up her messages. He says, "it ruins ma buckin' gutties though".

Jesus played his last game for St.Malachy's against St.John's in Cherryvale. Jesus was selected as goalkeeper and let in 6 howlers. At the end of the game, his angry team mates nailed him to the goal posts. He vowed never to play again. He was asked to manage St.Malachy's senior team. He accepted.
In his managerial career, Jesus has managed 3 wins (2 against St.Gall's reserves who failed to field on both occasions, claiming that St.Malachy's are a bunch of nut cases and the other in hard fought battle against Yash Armstrong's Rossa). St. Malachy's have only ever been beaten twice under Jesus Christ but have had 49 matches abandoned with the points being awarded to the other teams.

It is time for the people of Antrim to put Jesus Christ in charge of the county team. In his own words, "BELIEVE".

;D ;D ;D Brilliant
Up the Shamrocks!

Wolfe Kevin Toner

Every Bar would be after him not just the rose and crown if he could do that!
Ask not what your club can do for you.

ardmhachaabu

Sure what would you know about football?  ;)

Quote from: milltown row on May 21, 2008, 02:30:30 PM
Kevin McGourty!! I'm sure after the Clonduff girls are finished, he's no club action so he has free time and it wont distrupt his inter county hurling, they train different nights.

He will give Antrim a bigger profile also, he can play a bit of football
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

milltown row

4 Galls men walked of the panel it seems, Terry O'Neill, Gallgaher, CJ, and Sean Kelly.

Bigger fish to fry, Cargin awaits. i'd say Cargin are slight fav at the minute.

saffron sam2

Quote from: milltown row on May 22, 2008, 08:49:45 AM
4 Galls men walked of the panel it seems, Terry O'Neill, Gallgaher, CJ, and Sean Kelly.

And there in a nutshell sums up so much of what is wrong with Antrim football. Still Terry O'Neill and Gallgaher won't be overly missed and McGourty was in the states this time last year.

Good luck against Cargin. Youse deserve it.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Hoof Hearted

what about casements in the first round ?
i know what happened in the last 2 finals against them but first round matches are usually different
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

milltown row

Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 22, 2008, 08:55:22 AM

And there in a nutshell sums up so much of what is wrong with Antrim football. Still Terry O'Neill and Gallgaher won't be overly missed and McGourty was in the states this time last year.

i thought you had some sense Sam, Antrim football has been shite for years, 4 footballers walking off the panel wont make a difference.

milltown raver

I wouldnt say these four represent whats wrong with antrim football, I think you'll find they are four who actually show whats right with it, with regards commitment etc. But they give the county there all for the last prob 7 months and it came to nothing, so now its time to go back and give something to there club. What would they be training for with county, to play kilkenny again? dont know how anyone could get motivated for that, now there determined to win something with there club, who they say train harder than the county anyway!! Maybe thats whats wrong with the county, but to blame players who dont want to play in a joke of a competition thats getting scraped next year is a bit unfair   :-\.   

The man that could turn this county around, if its possible is John Rafferty. Theres no way any team of his would have conceded as many scores as antrim did.

Casements will be a tough test for us in the 1st round, could be a banana skin

Minder

Are any of the players going to seek their fortune in the U.S.A. ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

NAG

Im not sure about these players walking away its not normally something that I like to see from anyone involved in a panel like this.
However I have to say that IMO the county panel should be scrapped now for the season and a man should be brought in to watch the clubs games over the next few weeks and he should pick a team from these clubs games to represent the county in the TM cup.

To be honest I dont think they could do any worse than the spineless performance we witnessed at the weekend.

No expense bringing these players together for training for a pointless competition and maybe a chance for a fresh pair of eyes to look over the undoubted talent in the county.

IMO we need a strict disciplenarian to come in and drill some determination into these players. They may have trained often but from that performance on sunday I dont think it was focused in any way.

milltown row

i doubt any of the players are going to the States

FermGael

Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 22, 2008, 08:55:22 AM

Lads as a fermanagh man living in Antrim, Saffron Sam has hit it the nail on the head.  Antrim footballers do not have the right to treat the TM cup with distain.
If you look at my own county, we one 1 All Ireland B and lost 1 back in the early to mid ninties. This was were Fermanagh began to BELIEVE in themselves.  After this we got promotion to division 3 and then to division 2 (or whatever they were called back then).  You have to start somewhere.  There were proud Fermanagh men back then too and i am sure a few believed that the competition was beneath them but they still played and won it.  From that small start, players began to believe in themselves and subsequently we have grown to be at least a worry to the "bigger" counties when they play us.  If fermanagh can do it, with only 20 clubs then any county can do.
P.S the one thing i feel preventing the long term development of Antrim football is the failure of any of the schools to play in the "A" grade college's competition
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

A Quinn Martin Production

So these four have walked off the Antrim panel, who cares?  It's not like they're quitting Kerry, the Dubs or Tyrone!!  If they don't want to play for the county fair enough, it's an amateur game and no one can force them to play.  I thought Gallagher had walked off the panel at 3:44pm on Sunday anyway!!
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties