Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

country bumpkin

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 21, 2022, 09:43:14 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 20, 2022, 09:44:13 PM
Aye, those pesky bookies are going out of business....

Not too many teams win by 7!

Backed the draw in the last game, as did a few round me at Corrigan

Glen are favourites and rightly so but anything can happen, and if they win by two points and go on to win an All Ireland it's like winning an All Ireland  ;D

It's not personal. A derry team should be strong favourite over an antrim team all day long. That's just how it goes.

I do think Glen are possibly a bit over rated mind you. I was a bit disappointed with them against Errigal. However that said they should still be strong favourites for this game. The odds maybe a wee bit long mind you.

So logic would dictate Slaughtneil will start as strong favourites over Dunloy...?
Glen are a good side but their experience on the Ulster trail and indeed in club championship is not anything to shout about..

imtommygunn

I agree Glen are potentially a bit overrated too considering what they have done. If they were to go on I'd hope they win it. The odds do seem a bit much but how often are bookies wrong too. If Cargin beat Glen it's a major upset - there's no denying that.

Slaughtneil and the hurling is a different kettle of fish entirely and they will be favourites and rightly so.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on November 21, 2022, 10:00:20 AM

Glen are favourites and rightly so but anything can happen, and if they win by two points and go on to win an All Ireland it's like winning an All Ireland  ;D

It's not personal. A derry team should be strong favourite over an antrim team all day long. That's just how it goes.

I do think Glen are possibly a bit over rated mind you. I was a bit disappointed with them against Errigal. However that said they should still be strong favourites for this game. The odds maybe a wee bit long mind you.

So logic would dictate Slaughtneil will start as strong favourites over Dunloy...?
Glen are a good side but their experience on the Ulster trail and indeed in club championship is not anything to shout about..

Slaughtneill are favourites, would you have Dunloy favourites?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

SN would be obvious favourites in the hurling.

I'm not seeing where the confidence around Cargin is coming from. Glen just came out on top in one of the best games of club football in recent times. I think the spread betting could be slightly generous there at 7 but I suppose will depend on conditions on the day as well.

imtommygunn

Yeah I mean Glen should be strong favourites but they just feel maybe a wee bit too strong. It's no slight on anyone.

Spike

Cargin adopting the Michael Jordan Last Dance mentality.  It works for them. Why change a winning formula? What works for some doesn't work for others.

country bumpkin

Quote from: Spike on November 21, 2022, 12:55:44 PM
Cargin adopting the Michael Jordan Last Dance mentality.  It works for them. Why change a winning formula? What works for some doesn't work for others.

Need such explained......you figure Cargin are approaching the end.......as in the Bulls defeat...?

Spike

Quote from: country bumpkin on November 21, 2022, 01:02:16 PM

Need such explained......you figure Cargin are approaching the end.......as in the Bulls defeat...?

You would need to watch the show to explain Michael Jordan's mentality CB.  If Cargin can carefully manage their squad for the next 2 seasons I fully expect them to be challenging for many more years.

imtommygunn

I was more thinking Jose Mourinho.

GiveItToTheShooters

How do you work that out?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on November 21, 2022, 02:02:08 PM

Derry teams have an outstanding record in this competition since it started
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Derry club football has a decent track record in the competition and Antrim teams do not barring a half decent St Galls period. Derry county team is also at a much higher standard so you'd expect club to be at a higher standard too.

Glen were beat AET by the ai winners last year so it wasn't like they did too shabbily when they were in it too.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 21, 2022, 02:44:32 PM

Derry club football has a decent track record in the competition and Antrim teams do not barring a half decent St Galls period. Derry county team is also at a much higher standard so you'd expect club to be at a higher standard too.

Glen were beat AET by the ai winners last year so it wasn't like they did too shabbily when they were in it too.
Fair enough logic but doesn't necessarily mean it's always the case.

imtommygunn

No and for example in the hurling it's not as slaughtneil have proved otherwise with their form vs antrim teams compared to where derry county team are vs our county team. In the football though there hasn't happened very much with antrim teams - cargin or otherwise.

We all hope they buck the trend but glen rightly are strong favourites. Maybe a bit too strong mind you.

bannside

We can talk bookies odds all day long but we all know short favourites can be turned over. The Antrim champs have earned an hour on Sunday to show whether those odds were right or wrong. Between the lines these things are sorted.

It's not an easy task...Glen probably in top three or four clubs in the country. Its a massive ask for Cargin, but you never know...