Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gold

We won by 4!
Finally out of that Div 4 shithole...Thank god

Well done lads

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

bannside

Well done Saffrons. Twelve points from six games is a fantastic achievement. Congratulations to all involved.

BrendanAntrim

The lads played a great game today for roughly 60 mins; they were asleep at the wheel for the Wicklow goal in the first minute before taking control of the first half soon after that. Should probably have led by more at half time but just towards the end some bad decisions cost scoring opportunities. The second half we bossed the game against the wind with only some perplexing refereeing decisions allowing Wicklow to stay in contention (they only missed one free all day. Well they missed two but one of those was given as a point.)

With ten to go I think our lads began to get anxious about getting over the line (maybe understandably), we lost a series of our own kickouts, despite McKeever's excellent fielding in the first half, and us being one man up from early in the second period. And at one stage - with our lead cut to 3 - it took a class save from Chris to deny an equaliser. Shortly after that a break out score from Paddy McBride, who opted to fist over the bar when a goal seemed likely, was the insurance score. It was an entirely just outcome.

Some of our defensive play was top class, James Laverty is a brilliant defender, and while we could bemoan the defensive approach there is no doubt that between Delargy, KOBO, Burke and the Johnstons we will deny goal scoring opportunities to most teams. Up front we were at times really impactful, though watching games you still find yourself shouting 'take a blood point!' - but hey, what do we know :)

Bam was too hot to handle; he scored an outrageous point which was deemed wide by the same confused umpire mentioned above and when Ryan Murray was on the field combining with Tomas....hard to beat. Promotion after 6 games is a great achievement. Well done everyone involved.

bannside

Thanks Brendan for the update. The road home could have been a lot longer if Chris didnt make that wondersave, but wicklow have been a bogey team of ours for a few years now, so any victory there is a good one.

Team taking shape nicely with lots of quality on the bench too no one can take anything for granted. Agree Brendan - the thought of Bam, Ryan & Tomas in a full forward line! You really would pay to see that.

I wouldnt worry too much about the Louth match. Yes it would be nice to win, but not that important really except that winning is a good habit. I would go for 3 weeks of really hard graft now, hard interval running etc, easing up a few days before our date in Croke Park which is a big pitch and will test the legs. Management have made good calls all year so we will put our faith in them to play out the next few weeks out whatever way they see it.

country bumpkin

Just saw the screaming headlines in the cover of the 'Antrim Post'....................... :o

keep her low this half

Well done to the footballers, go on and win the division now.

country bumpkin

An unbeaten league campaign and promotion secured......well done big Fitzy and Gearoid................cherry on top in Croker :)

paddyjohn

Great to finally have good news coming out of Antrim.

country bumpkin

Has everybody gone away........sure a lot to celebrate in words.

Justanopinion

first post

delighted the footballers achieved promotion.  Clearly have put a lot of work in this year and are getting their just rewards.

Well done GearĂ³id and Russ!

bannside

As far as I know at least five clubs have already confirmed that they are running buses to Croke Park. Hopefully there will be many more! Personally I am really looking forward to this already, even though Louth will be a tough enough nut to crack.

We played a division four final in Croke Park in 2009, played badly and lost. It was a long enough road home, made worse when Baker came out to say it was no big deal really... we were not to wound up for it. If thats the case why should clubs go to the bother. I found that a bit of an insult at the time. Thats seven years ago, and our players havent set foot there since, so lets go down and have a right rattle and do the county proud.

Justanopinion

I've heard craic already that the Final is being called a glorified friendly and it's just being used as another match ahead of the Championship just because promotion is already sorted.

Seriously hope we put out our strongest 15.....whatever that may be and keep the momentum going

AQMP

Quote from: Justanopinion on April 05, 2016, 09:45:15 PM
I've heard craic already that the Final is being called a glorified friendly and it's just being used as another match ahead of the Championship just because promotion is already sorted.

Seriously hope we put out our strongest 15.....whatever that may be and keep the momentum going

Agree.  Winning is a habit, as is losing and we've been in that rut too many times over the years.  Mickey Harte used to say that Tyrone went out to win every competition they were in and that mentality is a hallmark of good teams.  I'd hate to think our boys would run out at Croke Pk for a challenge game.

country bumpkin

Watched a poor Cargin lose to our neighbours yesterday........championship moving up the road  :-\

imtommygunn

Did both have strong teams out CB? Early days yet.

Good win for your boys BS over LD.