Another PR disaster

Started by sligoman2, April 23, 2019, 11:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Haven't time to be reading the Treoir but does it refer to grounds "under the control of the Association " rather than owned by?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Kickham csc

Quote from: Rossfan on April 26, 2019, 12:36:44 PM
Haven't time to be reading the Treoir but does it refer to grounds "under the control of the Association " rather than owned by?

5.1 U ses of Property
(a) All property including Grounds, Club Houses, Halls,
Dressing Rooms and Handball Alleys owned or
controlled by units of the Association ("Association
Property") shall be used only for the purpose of
or in connection with the playing of the Games
controlled by the Association, and for such other
purposes, which accord with the Aims of the
Association, that may be sanctioned from time to
time by Central Council.
(b) Central Council has the power, in exceptional
circumstances, to authorise the use of Association
Property held by a County Committee, Provincial
Council or Central Council for activities other than
those controlled by the Association in accordance
with policy adopted by Central Council.
(c) Central Council has the power to authorise the use
of Association Property which is located outside of
Ireland for games other than those controlled by the
Association.
Penalty:
In the event of any Club, County Committee, or Provincial
Council acting contrary to this Rule, that body shall be
subject to suspension or fine, as deemed appropriate.

Rossfan

Thanks Kickham.
If I lease or rent a house or flat from you don't I control it?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

weareros

At the end of the day, the GAA are not doing battle here with Damien Duff, The Irish Times, Dublin 4, the concerned housewives of Ireland; they are doing battle with their own people, the small community spirit that is the lifeblood of the association. They can quote rules all they want. A mans health transcend the rule book. Parishioners were helping one of their own and it was the rules be damned. Time to let it go and say sorry to those people.

five points

Quote from: weareros on April 26, 2019, 01:41:48 PM
At the end of the day, the GAA are not doing battle here with Damien Duff, The Irish Times, Dublin 4, the concerned housewives of Ireland; they are doing battle with their own people, the small community spirit that is the lifeblood of the association.

By that logic, the GAA should never discipline anyone, ever.

weareros

Quote from: five points on April 26, 2019, 01:55:05 PM
At the end of the day, the GAA are not doing battle here with Damien Duff, The Irish Times, Dublin 4, the concerned housewives of Ireland; they are doing battle with their own people, the small community spirit that is the lifeblood of the association.

If we lived in a world of black and white, yes. But, say, if you are speeding to the hospital with a sick passenger and a gard pulls you over - does he delay you and give you a speeding ticket because you broke the rules of the road, or does he hop in the squad car and help you get to the hospital pronto. Likewise, the GAA should have used common sense here.

five points

Quote from: weareros on April 26, 2019, 02:42:19 PM

If we lived in a world of black and white, yes. But, say, if you are speeding to the hospital with a sick passenger and a gard pulls you over - does he delay you and give you a speeding ticket because you broke the rules of the road, or does he hop in the squad car and help you get to the hospital pronto. Likewise, the GAA should have used common sense here.

False analogy. FWIW, GAA rulebook accommodates force majeure where applicable. But in this case the club ploughed on even after their application for permission was turned down. They had the option of adapting their plans accordingly but chose not to.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: five points on April 26, 2019, 04:17:14 PM
Quote from: weareros on April 26, 2019, 02:42:19 PM

False analogy. FWIW, GAA rulebook accommodates force majeure where applicable. But in this case the club ploughed on even after their application for permission was turned down. They had the option of adapting their plans accordingly but chose not to.
I think this exchange demonstrates the difference between management and leadership. I pity the future if we continually approach things like this from a can't do rather than a can do position
Careful now

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on April 26, 2019, 10:25:20 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on April 26, 2019, 08:58:15 AM
So just to be clear Dublin7, and please correct me if I'm wrong:

1. You favour increased sanctions when a player breaks the rules, to deter them from appealing.

2. You don't want sanctions applied when a club breaks the rules.
what rule did they break?
the field isn't owned by the gaa

According to RTE news last night they broke rule 6.40.   And in the words of the RTE reporter "this all stems from insurance" to which the club spokesperson said "Yes but..."

/Jim.

sligoman2

I believe the gaa should take a good hard look at their rule books and amend for the 21st century.  Words like reasonable,exceptional circumstances,delegation and good faith etc.. might be appropriate in some areas.  If you don't change you get left behind quickly, what was sensible in 1956 might not be seen as sensible today and changes might be needed to accommodate the present day environment.  Common sense should always be an option when it makes sense and the rule books do not.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Dougal Maguire

Not a chance of this. Too many little Hitlers with a little power that's gone to their heads and who prefer saying no, to ever make that happen
Careful now

five points

Quote from: sligoman2 on April 26, 2019, 06:13:46 PM
I believe the gaa should take a good hard look at their rule books and amend for the 21st century.  Words like reasonable,exceptional circumstances,delegation and good faith etc.. might be appropriate in some areas.  If you don't change you get left behind quickly, what was sensible in 1956 might not be seen as sensible today and changes might be needed to accommodate the present day environment.  Common sense should always be an option when it makes sense and the rule books do not.

So you ignore rules when it suits?

sligoman2

That's not what I said.  Read again, carefully this time good man.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Itchy

If the club asked permission,  were refused and still went ahead then tough shit on them. Put forward a motion to change the rules. I'm tired of this rubbish. No other organisation gets held to this level on contempt. It's ridiculous to see has members here openly support the abusr of the rules of tge organisation that we are all bound to.

LCohen

Quote from: Itchy on April 26, 2019, 07:08:29 PM
If the club asked permission,  were refused and still went ahead then tough shit on them. Put forward a motion to change the rules. I'm tired of this rubbish. No other organisation gets held to this level on contempt. It's ridiculous to see has members here openly support the abusr of the rules of tge organisation that we are all bound to.

For consistency then what punishment should there be for teams and individuals making, facilitating and receiving payment for management and/or players? Given none of these teams or individuals have proposed a rule change and there has been no rule change I presume you will be demanding a ruthless regime to weed offenders out?