Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Correct but rule needs rewriting.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

square_ball

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on June 18, 2023, 11:18:09 PM
I agree that it is a failure of the rules but I wouldn't go as far as you do. An honest tackle which fouls an attacker (outside the penalty area) shouldn't be a penalty IMO.

The soccer model should be used for all deliberate fouls (like today) but the nitty gritty of what's deliberate and what's not is not going to be pretty.

Yeah possibly fair enough. They probably just haven't gone far enough with their current penalty/black card rule in that the likes of todays incident and say a pull back by the jersey where there is no attempt to play the ball should be a penalty.

Captain Scarlet

As an aside overall the graphic said Glenn Ryan managed Kildare U20s to leinster in 2018...and on the live broadcast they were due to talk about Alex Beirne but Kevin Flynn was highlighted by the halo thingy and by the time it was noticed Gooch got thrown off and they just meandered a bit.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Wildweasel74

Rulebook needs updated, both today and in the Kerry game few weeks bck, man was in on nets and fouled, cause one tried take the head of him to stop the player, and the other dragged him to the ground, ones a penalty, the other not, doesn't make sense. a deliberate tackle stopping a goal scoring opportunity should be a black card. But don't agree with the rule for a penalty if its not in the square. Another thing they need loo. At us constant fouling to slow the game down by Constant fouling. Kildare fullback made a dick of himself going down holsi g his head with no one near him. Ref told him to get up to f**k!

GJL

I agree that it is a failure of the rules but I wouldn't go as far as you do. An honest tackle which fouls an attacker (outside the penalty area) shouldn't be a penalty IMO.

The soccer model should be used for all deliberate fouls (like today) but the nitty gritty of what's deliberate and what's not is not going to be pretty.

He was reaching from behind and caught the neck/shoulder area. Hand not even close to where the ball was. What part of his intentions at that stage would be an 'honest tackle'?

trueblue1234

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 19, 2023, 12:57:21 AM
Rulebook needs updated, both today and in the Kerry game few weeks bck, man was in on nets and fouled, cause one tried take the head of him to stop the player, andthe other dragged him to the ground, ones a penalty, the other not, doesn't make sense. a deliberate tackle stopping a goal scoring opportunity should be a black card. But don't agree with the rule for a penalty if its not in the square. Another thing they need loo. At us constant fouling to slow the game down by Constant fouling. Kildare fullback made a dick of himself going down holsi g his head with no one near him. Ref told him to get up to f**k!

I'd agree with this. It would actually incentivise a player making the more dangerous high tackle. Crazy to have that in the rules.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

imtommygunn

On another note Canavan is a very good analyst. He did some good analysis on Tyrone and unlike other pundits credited the other teams play as opposed to just saying we were useless and let them in. Probably best out there.

lurganblue

RTE really need to have a look at themselves in the control room for live matches.  They are forever missing hugely important kick-outs near the end of the game to show a replay. 

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 19, 2023, 09:37:27 AM
On another note Canavan is a very good analyst. He did some good analysis on Tyrone and unlike other pundits credited the other teams play as opposed to just saying we were useless and let them in. Probably best out there.
He really is
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

Quote from: lurganblue on June 19, 2023, 01:41:52 PM
RTE really need to have a look at themselves in the control room for live matches.  They are forever missing hugely important kick-outs near the end of the game to show a replay.

That does my nut in.

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 19, 2023, 03:53:00 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on June 19, 2023, 01:41:52 PM

That does my nut in.

Was it TG4 that tried to show replays in a small square on the screen with the live game going on it the background?

It obviously wasn't a success.

Milltown Row2

Show the replay during a break of play, small square on TG4 was crap
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Main Street

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on June 19, 2023, 01:15:35 PM
Quote from: GJL on June 19, 2023, 09:28:21 AM

He was reaching from behind and caught the neck/shoulder area. Hand not even close to where the ball was. What part of his intentions at that stage would be an 'honest tackle'?
I didn't suggest that this incident was an honest tackle.

This incident was a deliberate foul to stop a clear goal scoring opportunity. By right that should be a black card and a penalty.

Unfortunately, the rules for that don't cover this type of foul.
At the time I thought that was a blatant cynical pull down, therefore black card but goal opportunity? I have a problem with the interpretation of goal opportunity that leads to the award of a penalty when the attacking player is fouled outside the area but still has a lot to do to have a viable goal scoring attempt.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Main Street on June 20, 2023, 12:04:08 AM

This incident was a deliberate foul to stop a clear goal scoring opportunity. By right that should be a black card and a penalty.

At the time I thought that was a blatant cynical pull down, therefore black card but goal opportunity? I have a problem with the interpretation of goal opportunity that leads to the award of a penalty when the attacking player is fouled outside the area but still has a lot to do to have a viable goal scoring attempt.

A goal opportunity is when a player is heading towards the goal, a player or two head towards that player leaving a team mate free to off load the ball for a goal opportunity, but before he's able to off load (or shoot) he's brought to the ground.

There plenty of examples where players draw in other defenders, off load and this results in a goal attempt.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Main Street

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 20, 2023, 10:13:08 AM
Quote from: Main Street on June 20, 2023, 12:04:08 AM

A goal opportunity is when a player is heading towards the goal, a player or two head towards that player leaving a team mate free to off load the ball for a goal opportunity, but before he's able to off load (or shoot) he's brought to the ground.

There plenty of examples where players draw in other defenders, off load and this results in a goal attempt.
As I wrote, I have a problem with that definition of a goal opportunity, it's far too wide.
Most goal opportunities are not converted because they are just an opportunity, also defenders can get back and save with hands, obviously in contrast with soccer but in soccer there is no penalty award if the cynical foul is outside the box.

I'd say the gilt edge definition of a goal opportunity in GAA  is that infamous incident when the laggard Cavanagh was left for dead  but somehow managed to drag down McManus who was bearing down with serious menace on goal. That Cork Kerry incident, I'd have thought black card and free kick, there was too much speculation about what might happen had the Kerry player just been legally confronted.