The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twohands!!!

Someone in the GAA would want to have a word with whoever in RTE is responsible for the match coverage.

I thought the game yesterday was especially bad and I thought the Limerick Galway hurling semi-final last week had a lot of missed action because of replays as well.

The amount of times action in the game (especially kickouts) yesterday was missed because the director was showing replays of action has never been higher.

Captain Scarlet

Ger Canning's "I was asleep at that stage quip yesterday was a joke too. FFS like they do realise that they are slating the very thing that brings them revenue and massive viewers every year.
Like the Ulster Final was slaughtered when I found it nerve-racking. Every single ball counted when it was so cagey for periods.

Now they are saying it's a great game for purists ignoring the fact that Kerry and Galway locked shit down and that's a huge reason they are where they are.

Then they kinda want to go with the controversy and discuss big decisions as it's low-hanging fruit and doesn't involve actual analysis. Even on social media the bauld Pat has some learned off mini rant and it gets shared like TalkSport do, trying to rise people.

I thought the Tailteann Cup crew were very good and could find their groove. Depending on who is on comms and analysis for the Final I might hit up Now TV for the day pass. McElwain and the crew are just so much better and let it all flow.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Could have sworn loads on here saying Oisín McConville great. Must be just when he was on BBC.

armaghniac

Quote from: twohands!!! on July 11, 2022, 04:53:09 PM
Someone in the GAA would want to have a word with whoever in RTE is responsible for the match coverage.

I thought the game yesterday was especially bad and I thought the Limerick Galway hurling semi-final last week had a lot of missed action because of replays as well.

The amount of times action in the game (especially kickouts) yesterday was missed because the director was showing replays of action has never been higher.

Agree with this, for instance the replays that prevented seeing Clifford getting the yellow card. Kickouts are important nowadays in the development of the game. TG4 sometimes show a reply in a small window and that might be an option.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

full moon

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 11, 2022, 06:04:42 PM
Could have sworn loads on here saying Oisín McConville great. Must be just when he was on BBC.
McConville makes good points at times but he has a fairly monotone way of talking.

Coro Staunton also is very difficult to listen to totally monotone comes out with cliches I switched off the Sunday game last night hard to listen to them just very boring stuff. Michael Murphy was sort of the same. 

I guess that's why guys like Spillane and Brolly lasted so long and had support, they made it interesting and they had charisma and a bit of life to them even if they talked a lot of crap. The replacements can be very bland.

armaghniac

Quote from: full moon on July 11, 2022, 06:58:11 PM
McConville makes good points at times but he has a fairly monotone way of talking.

Coro Staunton also is very difficult to listen to totally monotone comes out with cliches I switched off the Sunday game last night hard to listen to them just very boring stuff. Michael Murphy was sort of the same. 

I guess that's why guys like Spillane and Brolly lasted so long and had support, they made it interesting and they had charisma and a bit of life to them even if they talked a lot of crap. The replacements can be very bland.

Perhaps they should bring on Benny Tierney instead of Oisin.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

marty34

Quote from: armaghniac on July 11, 2022, 07:03:43 PM
Quote from: full moon on July 11, 2022, 06:58:11 PM

Perhaps they should bring on Benny Tierney instead of Oisin.

Surprised Tierney has never got a gig.  Probably not serious enough. Not much craic with Spillane and O'Rourke.  Borefest.

Tierney more suited to a pre final night in a bar where he can tell a few yarns and have the craic.

TSG is all a bit too serious for me.  Although the hurling lads are good. I enjoy them.  Des a bit of a pain though.

blanketattack

Des and Cora had a conversation about what would happened if Dublin had managed to go a point ahead in the closing stages, and basically denounced Kerry's victory for not having to deal with that situation.
So they took marks away from Kerry for not dealing with a hypothetical situation which never materialised!
Should have given credit to Kerry's backs for stopping Dublin ever taking the lead with turnovers and forcing Dublin into low % shots.
Even with Dublin's great 2nd half improvement, they only managed 2 points in the last 15 minutes thanks to Kerry's defending and kickouts.

Gael85

Fitzmaurice and McConville two best pundits for me. I think Ciaran Whelan and Enda McGinley are decent too. Gooch and Sean Cavanagh are poor. Every game/highlights show seems to have a least one Kerry pundit regardless if Kerry are playing or not.

RadioGAAGAA

Usually at this point, I'd say they should only ensure ex-managers are on. World of difference between a good player doing what their told, and a good coach/manager knowing what to tell.

But then Kevin McStay comes on and torpedoes that...
i usse an speelchekor

Rossfan

And when you think RTÉ can't sink lower....Up for the Match is back next Saturday......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

blanketattack

Do Sky Sports show replays of the game either in their programme schedule or online or even have a highlights programme (or maybe somewhere else  ;) ;))?
I'd like to watch Kerry v Dublin again without having to listen to Kevin McStay.
I'll have my Celine Dion cassette playing on my ghetto blaster for the Sean O'Shea free but would like to listen to some decent commentary for the rest.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

onefineday

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 11, 2022, 10:13:49 AM
Quote from: inroundthesquare on July 11, 2022, 10:06:17 AM
Michael Murphy last night "Kerry struggled against a very defensive Tyrone last year"

Ridiculous comment

This the Tyrone that scored 3-14 after extra time?

The only qualification needed to work on these panels is to have played County football. No intelligence or insight needed.
It's pointless having current players on, they won't give their honest opinions or provide any insights into anything, understandably, so let them retire, then try them out.

RedHand88

Pats Sunday World column this week talked about how Derry  couldn't use their gameplay in the "wide open spaces of Croke Park".

::) ::) ::)