The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on June 12, 2022, 05:58:12 PM
Quote from: Halfquarter on June 12, 2022, 05:47:42 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on June 12, 2022, 03:44:53 PM
Who's that panelist on RTE with O'Rourke and Cavanagh?  A complete one trick pony. Hopeless

11All Star Awards and 4 All Ireland Winners medals and you don't know her, Jesus wept.
Nope. Never heard of her until now. Happy if I never have to look at or listen to her ever again

You must be taking the piss? Never heard of córa Staunton.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cora_Staunton

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 12, 2022, 06:15:35 PM
Who's that panelist on RTE with O'Rourke and Cavanagh?  A complete one trick pony. Hopeless

11All Star Awards and 4 All Ireland Winners medals and you don't know her, Jesus wept.
Nope. Never heard of her until now. Happy if I never have to look at or listen to her ever again

If you don't follow womens football then you wouldn't know, I couldn't tell ya one womens soccer player tbh... sorry take that back Scott the presenter now, but only because she presents, never seen her kick a ball
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

clonadmad

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 12, 2022, 06:18:48 PM

If you don't follow womens football then you wouldn't know, I couldn't tell ya one womens soccer player tbh... sorry take that back Scott the presenter now, but only because she presents, never seen her kick a ball

Staunton and Ladies football in general would probably get a lot more coverage in the Irish media than it would in the NI media

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

She has been a constant on RTÉ sport reports for 20 years,I've no interest in ladies football but she's been on our TV for so long now. Think they done a laochra Gael ón her too

I can watch camogie but the ladies football not good tv

full moon

Good aul Spillane loved his statistics haha

Main Street

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 12, 2022, 06:38:33 PM

She has been a constant on RTÉ sport reports for 20 years,I've no interest in ladies football but she's been on our TV for so long now. Think they done a laochra Gael ón her too

Dougal's user name is one of the most true to the core user names on the board.

Blowitupref

Quote from: full moon on June 12, 2022, 10:46:30 PM
Good aul Spillane loved his statistics haha

On topic of stats. Of the two games Gaastatsman covered this weekend

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Main Street on June 12, 2022, 10:46:36 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 12, 2022, 06:38:33 PM

Dougal's user name is one of the most true to the core user names on the board.
And using the theory it takes one to know one, you're well qualified to make such a statement.
Careful now

Gael85

An RTE pundits saying he never took interest in D3/4 teams until he son start started playing with Sligo..  Sums up RTE football pundits that do little research.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/why-i-am-a-better-gaa-man-since-my-son-joined-sligo-41748947.html

Loughshore2022

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 12, 2022, 06:01:26 PM
Tbf there's no men on the ladies football games so I've no idea why we have them on the mens

Ladies Gaelic football shouldn't even be considered the same sport as men's given how much less physical it is. How can a female player comment on the men's game when she actually has no experience of what it is like on the field of a men's football match? I have watched some of my clubs ladies games on video and the football looks so much easier than the men's hard hitting game.

I assume ladies football is softer because of women not wanting to damage their bodies because of future pregnancy but in the men's game someone could kick you in the balls and there is no protection there.

Loughshore2022

From what I've seen the only people who care about ladies football are men who have daughters. If you slag it they actually get personally offended and accuse you of misogyny. I don't care about ladies football but noone can acuse me of misogyny because I listen to female musicians.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Loughshore2022 on June 14, 2022, 12:51:14 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 12, 2022, 06:01:26 PM
Tbf there's no men on the ladies football games so I've no idea why we have them on the mens

Ladies Gaelic football shouldn't even be considered the same sport as men's given how much less physical it is. How can a female player comment on the men's game when she actually has no experience of what it is like on the field of a men's football match? I have watched some of my clubs ladies games on video and the football looks so much easier than the men's hard hitting game.

I assume ladies football is softer because of women not wanting to damage their bodies because of future pregnancy but in the men's game someone could kick you in the balls and there is no protection there.
Strange way to look at it. Have you played Senior inter country? Presumably by your logic you're not going to comment on any inter county matches if not, because let's be honest here, the difference in standard between club and county is so great it may as well be a different sport.
Unless you have represented your country Northern Ireland (fair play if you have) you keep opinions on top level soccer to yourself I assume? What's the cut off here?

thewobbler

If his point was meant to be "how can a female player be paid to analyse a men's game", then it's a fair one.

Cora might have won everything going in ladies football, and do so with enormous skill, effort and appreciation for the sport. But she knows no more about having an entire county's happiness resting on her shoulders than I do.

The sports are similar. The stakes are completely different.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: thewobbler on June 14, 2022, 08:02:14 AM
If his point was meant to be "how can a female player be paid to analyse a men's game", then it's a fair one.

Cora might have won everything going in ladies football, and do so with enormous skill, effort and appreciation for the sport. But she knows no more about having an entire county's happiness resting on her shoulders than I do.

The sports are similar. The stakes are completely different.
How do the stakes impact the ability to assess what's happening in front of them though and delivering insight on it? That is a different skillset to being good enough to play the game at a high level or to have experienced the pressure of an All Ireland final.
By this thread of logic Eugene McGee should never have managed Offaly at all because he had relatively no experience at any level as a player and certainly no inkling into having a county relying on him, he barely kicked a football. Are you saying that all inter county managers would have to have played top level inter county themselves because if they haven't then they don't know the stakes involved and that will negatively impact their ability to assess their squad and how to set them up to win?

Don't see how the stakes come into it at all really, is there a different way to assess what's happening on the pitch for the minor match versus the senior game on All Ireland final day because the stakes aren't as high? If I had played minor IC but not Senior IC am I qualified to analyse a minor match but not a Senior one?
Scan Concannon was a phenomenal underage player for Galway, never did a thing at Senior level, he's PJ's right hand man in the Galway setup at moment, plenty in the county would say he shouldn't be there at all but I don't think that is because he didn't play Senior IC for Galway and that's the major thing holding him back.

I just don't see the logic of the argument ye are making really, maybe I'm missing something.

thewobbler

But you're talking about two completely different things.

Coaches like Eugene McGee and Concannon work their way up through the ranks. By the time they arrive on the county scene they'll have a coaching CV and a reputation that warrants their appointment.

Analysts are selected and then groomed based on some combination of their playing achievements, loquaciousness, knowledge and charisma. And for men, it requires a truly special playing CV to overcome a lack of charisma (see Gooch, see Cavanagh).

Cora Staunton has been elevated to this bracket too by RTE but she has no more right to be there than say Eugene Brannigan of Kilcoo or Michael Lundy of Corofin. She can talk Football like anyone. Of course she can. But she can't explain what it's like to do so with 89,000 people watching in Croke and another million on the TV. She can't explain what it's like to have a county's hopes upon her shoulders.