The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayoaremagic

Rte should be showing more highlights of non televised games but nice to see Carlow manager Turlogh O'Brien on show.

highorlow

What was that cryptic goobledegook Rochford was saying. I'll have to see it again but I couldn't make head nor tail if it in real time.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

moysider

Quote from: highorlow on May 21, 2017, 11:13:30 PM
What was that cryptic goobledegook Rochford was saying. I'll have to see it again but I couldn't make head nor tail if it in real time.

It was mostly just am....... am...... am........am. The usual.
Which is fine by me. I don't expect managers or players to say anything meaningful anyway. They'd be daft if they did.

Mayo Border

I despair, I really do. I enjoy the idea of getting a round-up of the days championship games. Soccor lads have had their match of the day for decades. But RTE in their wisdom have given the hosting job to a man who is inept and incompetent at best. At worst he is a biased classless inarticulate thick. Des Cahill was not just patethic tonight, he bordered on fostering the vile social media rubbish circulating recently incl on some so called GAA fan sites. Aidan O'Shea played only a minor cameo role today. Didnt score and only got marginally involved. No fouls cards or controversy. Yet Cahill the thick introduced in the main part of the Mayo Sligo "analysis" that some meath journalist spotted him giving autographs to kids in a nothing challenge game in meath some time back. Relevance to today's game- nil. When Paddy Durkin was being selected for man of the match,  you could hear the muttering sniggers of cahill blurting that Durkin missed an easy goal. Such biased dis-respect is astounding from our national broadcaster. And to really knock me out, at the end of the "round-up" he asks the question " well lads, so who's going to win the all ireland this year". First day of the championship. The man is a moron.

Duine Eile

Quote from: Mayo Border on May 22, 2017, 12:17:03 AM
I despair, I really do. I enjoy the idea of getting a round-up of the days championship games. Soccor lads have had their match of the day for decades. But RTE in their wisdom have given the hosting job to a man who is inept and incompetent at best. At worst he is a biased classless inarticulate thick. Des Cahill was not just patethic tonight, he bordered on fostering the vile social media rubbish circulating recently incl on some so called GAA fan sites. Aidan O'Shea played only a minor cameo role today. Didnt score and only got marginally involved. No fouls cards or controversy. Yet Cahill the thick introduced in the main part of the Mayo Sligo "analysis" that some meath journalist spotted him giving autographs to kids in a nothing challenge game in meath some time back. Relevance to today's game- nil. When Paddy Durkin was being selected for man of the match,  you could hear the muttering sniggers of cahill blurting that Durkin missed an easy goal. Such biased dis-respect is astounding from our national broadcaster. And to really knock me out, at the end of the "round-up" he asks the question " well lads, so who's going to win the all ireland this year". First day of the championship. The man is a moron.

Des Cahill drives me nuts, puts me off even watching the evening show. RTÉ really missed a trick not signing up Dara Ó Cinneide when Seo Spoirt finished.

manfromdelmonte

likes of Des have to get their % of work
otherwise he'd be hanging around the place doing nothing

please get rid of Martin Carney and Joe Brolly

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Duine Eile on May 22, 2017, 12:33:31 AM

Des Cahill drives me nuts, puts me off even watching the evening show. RTÉ really missed a trick not signing up Dara Ó Cinneide when Seo Spoirt finished.

+1 on Cahill, Can't watch him at all
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Lone Shark

Quote from: smelmoth on May 21, 2017, 10:38:56 AM
Some of the pundits are poor but with a decent presenter they are not all irredeemable. The co-commentators are mainly awful. Is there someone inside RTE who sits down every year with Carney and Carr and says another great year lads. Let's do another year of the same?

Was listening to the early part of Mayo vs Sligo while en route to Portlaoise for the LS vs LD game yesterday. Tommy came out with the gem "that's the kind of 50/50 ball that gives the forward no chance". Somebody needs to sit him down and ask him to explain that type of rubbish, and maybe if he had to do that, he might put an ounce of thought into what he says in the future.

Or give him the boot altogether - but I know that never happens in RTE/Hotel California.

Beantown

Quote from: Duine Eile on May 22, 2017, 12:33:31 AM

+1 on Dara O Cinneide.  Has forgot more than Cahill will ever know about GAA

Fuzzman

There seem to be few different views on the 4 steps rule when a player is being fouled.
My understanding is that the referee will allow the player to take a few more extra steps if he's being fouled so that he gets the advantage of playing on and maybe scoring rather than blowing for a free and maybe preventing a goal scoring opportunity.

I've seen this several times with Sean Cavanagh over the years we're he's got a defender pulling him back yet Sean contines to run on and score a goal, despite having taken a lot more steps. I think this advantage benefits the game and the attacker player who is being fouled.

For those who are saying it doesn't matter he is still only allowed 4 steps, are they saying it should be a free out for travelling or that the ref should give the free in rather than play the advantage?

On another note, I'm surprised nobody is talking about Gooch's debut on the show. How do you think he spoke?
At least he wasn't choking Joe.

sambostar

Yes, if the player being fouled takes more than 4 steps you give him the free, you don't just let him run endlessly because he's being fouled. It's simple stuff really. Thought the ref was very poor in the Mayo game, gave frees for the slightest contact especially for Sligo when they were chasing the game in the 2nd half

highorlow

QuoteOn another note, I'm surprised nobody is talking about Gooch's debut on the show. How do you think he spoke?

Thought he was very good. Probably be a manager at some stage.

I thought they should have given a few minutes on the Mark. There were 2 brilliant Marks in our game, one by Parsons where he would otherwise have been crowded out and another by a Sligo lad who would otherwise have given away a sideline kick. There was a 3rd Mark where one of the Sligo haircut lads called the Mark and started off on a solo run rather than kicking it.

westbound

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 22, 2017, 09:53:18 AM
There seem to be few different views on the 4 steps rule when a player is being fouled.
My understanding is that the referee will allow the player to take a few more extra steps if he's being fouled so that he gets the advantage of playing on and maybe scoring rather than blowing for a free and maybe preventing a goal scoring opportunity.

I've seen this several times with Sean Cavanagh over the years we're he's got a defender pulling him back yet Sean contines to run on and score a goal, despite having taken a lot more steps. I think this advantage benefits the game and the attacker player who is being fouled.

For those who are saying it doesn't matter he is still only allowed 4 steps, are they saying it should be a free out for travelling or that the ref should give the free in rather than play the advantage?

On another note, I'm surprised nobody is talking about Gooch's debut on the show. How do you think he spoke?
At least he wasn't choking Joe.

I'm open to correction on this, maybe AZoffaly could clarify, he's usually good with the rule book!

My interpretation is that the player is still only allowed take 4 steps.
If they take more than 4 steps, then the advantage should be called back and the free awarded for the foul on the player in possession.
If not, then could a player hop the ball twice if he is being fouled? or throw the ball? or throw a punch (Extreme example and slightly different, dangerous play rather than technical foul!).
So I don't believe the rules allow you to hop the ball twice or throw the ball just because you are being fouled and are receiving an advantage, so therefore why would the steps rule be different?

I completely accept that referees tend to allow a 'few' extra steps rather than call the play back for a free, but I don't believe this is in line with the rule book!

AZOffaly

Referees tend to restart the clock if a lad is being fouled, rather than stop the play for the free, but yes I believe that technically you must play the ball every 4 steps, and failing to do so is a free. If you have not gained advantage within the 5 seconds then the Ref can award you the original free.

Another one on the advantage rule... Why is advantage seen as a score? In most cases, if a lad is being fouled, and the ref plays the 5 second advantage, and he gets a shot off, even an unimpeded shot, but it goes wide; I'd say 7 or 8 times out of 10 the play is brought back for the free. I'm not sure the rulebook says the advantage must result in a score! I'm all for giving a free to a lad who's shot is affected by the foul, but some of the call backs are ridiculous.

highorlow

QuoteAnother one on the advantage rule... Why is advantage seen as a score? In most cases, if a lad is being fouled, and the ref plays the 5 second advantage, and he gets a shot off, even an unimpeded shot, but it goes wide; I'd say 7 or 8 times out of 10 the play is brought back for the free. I'm not sure the rulebook says the advantage must result in a score! I'm all for giving a free to a lad who's shot is affected by the foul, but some of the call backs are ridiculous.

I was wondering that myself. We were called back yesterday even though we were in possession and on the attack. Making us take the free was a disadvantage.