Previous topic - Next topic

Beffs

Quote from: rosnarun on August 23, 2016, 02:35:28 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 22, 2016, 04:37:14 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on August 22, 2016, 04:24:33 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 22, 2016, 12:31:25 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 21, 2016, 11:33:40 PM
Let Joanne Cantwell present it.
Did a great job on the Olympics and knows her GAA.
Sick of Des Cahill and the 'banter' he tries (and fails) to get going with the panel.

I thought she was very good on the Olympics as well, takes no crap. Cahill, whilst harmless enough, is a bit too sweet and if he was made of chocolate he would eat himself.
Her failure to question Sonia the Great is a major black mark against her . It was the Issue once the o donovan brothers were finished and never as a major player sitting beside her about if.

Yeah, I'm sure Sonia would have spilled the beans on the ongoing criminal investigation in Rio.
so you ignore the big issue of the day with one of the main protagonists  just because she may not give a full and frank answer,
i don's buy editorial decision either . Is cantwell just a pretty face , gender equalizer, or a genuine Journalist?
its cowardly journalism.

It's not Joanne Cantwell's fault. Sonia was contracted by RTE to discuss athletics and nothing else. RTE have made a statement about it. They couldn't ask her about all the various controversies, as much as they may have wanted to.

I'd say that clause in her contract came from Sonia herself. She knows how unpopular Pat Hickey is and all the controversies dogging her sport. Who would want to go on RTE and have to address or defend all that malarkey? It is much easier to spout the usual mumbo jumbo about PB's & isn't yer man Usain Bolt gas craic altogether & then leg it with the pay check.

Hound

Quote from: iorras on August 23, 2016, 02:08:35 PM
The Sunday Game is beyond pathetic at this stage as is the actual live commentary and punditry. How can fellas who played over 30 years ago be anyway relevant to what is happening. Its a microcosm of Irish life and is why we see all these issues with the boards of charities, sports governing bodies, committees and the like. Get a job, don't make any waves and you can do what the f**k you like for as long as you like and no-one will hold you accountable.
The irony of it when those clowns get paid on RTE GAA coverage get to be judge, jury and executioner on players, coaches and manager with no right of reply.
The difference between sky and rte is incredible, with sky you have guys who have actually competed and won at the highest level giving their professional opinions on what has just happened and what might be about to happen rather than the rte made up owl shite ranging from outrage to gushing depending on the mood and how well the sleeping tablets and laxatives worked the night before in the nursing home.

And its not like you can get away from it on radio either, the f**king Marty Squad? Seriously.
Funny comment made by Brolly on RTE a couple of weeks ago, when he was asked to comment on something Ciaran Whelan said:

"I'll tell you something about Whelan. He's the type of lad who could end up on Sky next year"

He meant it as a kind of funny insult, but it was really a compliment to someone who was interested in actually analysing a game.

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on August 23, 2016, 02:26:18 PM
In general, there is significant confirmation bias in the RTE 'analysis'.
Brolly is a classic example of someone who will only present data which supports his pre-existing agenda, however unrepresentative that data may be, and ignore the overwhelming amount of data which doesn't support it.
Spillane does the same.
Colm is more objective, but then again, that could be my own confirmation bias talking.
O Rourke has communion bias.
Spillane is not as good as the other 2.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Croí na hÉireann

The Sunday Game is beyond pathetic at this stage as is the actual live commentary and punditry. How can fellas who played over 30 years ago be anyway relevant to what is happening. Its a microcosm of Irish life and is why we see all these issues with the boards of charities, sports governing bodies, committees and the like. Get a job, don't make any waves and you can do what the f**k you like for as long as you like and no-one will hold you accountable.
The irony of it when those clowns get paid on RTE GAA coverage get to be judge, jury and executioner on players, coaches and manager with no right of reply.
The difference between sky and rte is incredible, with sky you have guys who have actually competed and won at the highest level giving their professional opinions on what has just happened and what might be about to happen rather than the rte made up owl shite ranging from outrage to gushing depending on the mood and how well the sleeping tablets and laxatives worked the night before in the nursing home.

And its not like you can get away from it on radio either, the f**king Marty Squad? Seriously.

Anyone have listener figures to compare the f**king Marty Squad to the Second Captain's version that ran at the exact same time last year?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

lenny

Quote from: Hound on August 23, 2016, 03:11:56 PM

Funny comment made by Brolly on RTE a couple of weeks ago, when he was asked to comment on something Ciaran Whelan said:

"I'll tell you something about Whelan. He's the type of lad who could end up on Sky next year"

He meant it as a kind of funny insult, but it was really a compliment to someone who was interested in actually analysing a game.

Correct, it's the kind of comment an insecure person makes to try to bring someone down to their level. I'm not saying brolly is insecure btw but Whelan is actually a very good analyst by RTE standards. He does make an attempt to analyse the game and tactics instead of just waffling like Joe regularly does.

muppet

IF Sky and RTÉ had to pick panels exclusively from posters on here, who do you think they would pick?

My guess:

Sky:

(From) Croí, brokencrossbar, J70, Jinxy, AZOffaly

RTÉ:

Indiana, Syferus, Stew.

Anyone else?
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on August 23, 2016, 05:50:17 PM
IF Sky and RTÉ had to pick panels exclusively from posters on here, who do you think they would pick?

My guess:

Sky:

RTÉ:

Indiana, Syferus, Stew.

Anyone else?
[/quoteIndy Syf and Stew would be like 3x Brolly

Rossfan

My guess:

Sky:

RTÉ:

Indiana, Syferus, Stew.

Anyone else?
RTÈ - Larryin, Bomber, most of the Tymoanies, Seafoid   
Sky - Farrandeelin.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on August 23, 2016, 06:23:35 PM

My guess:

Sky:

RTÉ:

Indiana, Syferus, Stew.

Anyone else?
Sky - Farrandeelin.

Jesus Ross, you picked a 'Rhu'  ;) I'm not sure if you mean to get me off half of the screens of the country 😁 or that you think that high of my opinions. 
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

LilySavage

'The fact that Tommy Carr is making money from commentating gives me hope of one day becoming an astronaut..' Jack McCaffrey, hardly known for being sensationalist, tweets what we all think. Any chance RTE Sport might consider opinion of his fellow Dub and current Footballer Of The Year.

Rossfan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 23, 2016, 08:44:50 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 23, 2016, 06:23:35 PM

Sky - Farrandeelin.

Jesus Ross, you picked a 'Rhu'  ;) I'm not sure if you mean to get me off half of the screens of the country 😁 or that you think that high of my opinions.

Ahhhhhh you're not the worst if them Farr :-*
And you do make the odd sensible contribution to stolensheep. :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Applesisapples

My guess:

Sky:

RTÉ:

Indiana, Syferus, Stew.

Anyone else?
RTE would definitely have Tony as the new Spillane, they'd probably also use him on the soccer as the new Dunphy and on the Rugby as the new Hook such is the depth of his knowledge and talent.

Il Bomber Destro

I'd never appear on RTE.

Owenmoresider

seafoid

Rossfan and Syf would work better on a remake of Steptoe and son.