The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 12, 2016, 10:45:56 PM
Quote from: inexile on June 12, 2016, 10:37:20 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 12, 2016, 10:31:49 PM
Ah here, 2 good derby games Westmeath/Offaly and Meath/Louth - combined winning margin of only 5 points and a broken nose, we get 3 mins of highlights...

I despair...

Have to race through them for the hurling! Still I thought Dessie Dolan summed up Kildare very succinctly as "no great shakes". He's right unfortunately. From the little we were show. I thought Meath looked the better of the four teams.

Gave me a wry smile, very true but Westmeath have just been relegated to Division 4 so the two bald men fighting over an analogy would have been more appropriate. Both teams will be quite defensive so with maybe 6k from both counties in CP expect another horror show whereas if if it was played in O'Connor park you'd probably get 8k and a proper intense championship game...

Get the petition going Dinny
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

Hey Croí, does that count as 'a right rattle'? :)

Croí na hÉireann

It surely fecking does, more than happy to eat some humbe pie on that one, well done, great to see. Would have been nice to have seen more of the fecking highlights.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 13, 2016, 10:40:20 AM
It surely fecking does, more than happy to eat some humbe pie on that one, well done, great to see. Would have been nice to have seen more of the fecking highlights.

To be honest I feared the worst with all the lads missing. I knew they'd rattle Cork with a few more available, and I knew they'd give it a lash even at that, but I didn't see a win coming. Big challenge the next day now, but hopefully they'll burst a gut again.

Well done in Mullingar, sickened by that one. A real bittersweet day.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: inexile on June 12, 2016, 11:28:03 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 12, 2016, 10:45:56 PM
Quote from: inexile on June 12, 2016, 10:37:20 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 12, 2016, 10:31:49 PM
Ah here, 2 good derby games Westmeath/Offaly and Meath/Louth - combined winning margin of only 5 points and a broken nose, we get 3 mins of highlights...

I despair...

Have to race through them for the hurling! Still I thought Dessie Dolan summed up Kildare very succinctly as "no great shakes". He's right unfortunately. From the little we were show. I thought Meath looked the better of the four teams.

Gave me a wry smile, very true but Westmeath have just been relegated to Division 4 so the two bald men fighting over an analogy would have been more appropriate. Both teams will be quite defensive so with maybe 6k from both counties in CP expect another horror show whereas if if it was played in O'Connor park you'd probably get 8k and a proper intense championship game...

Wonder what kind of numbers Meath & Dublin will bring? Will there be 40,000 there?

Meath in fairness have a solid support who despite them being a bit sh*t have stuck with them unlike the Kildare crew, so they'll bring 5k plus. The crowd all depends on the bandwagon, Dublin brought 15k to Kilkenny which would probably be there hardcore. So I'll say you will get minimum 30K and if the marketing goes well, it's a hard sell one game will be watching paint dry and the other a foregone conclusion, you're probably looking at 40-45k.  But 20k in Portlaoise and 8k in Tullamore mightn't make for two better games but certainly would make for two better occasions.
#newbridgeornowhere

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 13, 2016, 10:46:14 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 13, 2016, 10:40:20 AM

To be honest I feared the worst with all the lads missing. I knew they'd rattle Cork with a few more available, and I knew they'd give it a lash even at that, but I didn't see a win coming. Big challenge the next day now, but hopefully they'll burst a gut again.

Well done in Mullingar, sickened by that one. A real bittersweet day.

Yeah, I didn't see them get within 5 what with all the bodies missing and what I saw in Mullingar in the league. Tomás O Sé was bang on with what he said about Cork last year, a shorter year than the recent short years in store for them. Writing them off completely for the Munster final, but if they keep it close they can regroup and make the quarters. Would get Tipp football in a good place to build on next year.

joemamas

just got around to watching sunday game, God Dessie Dolan has sweet f all to offer in analysis, you could grab some ould boy off a barstool after a few pints and his analysis would be not different. Talk about stating the obvious with a absolute boatload of cliches.

twohands!!!

Quote from: joemamas on June 16, 2016, 02:42:37 AM
just got around to watching sunday game, God Dessie Dolan has sweet f all to offer in analysis, you could grab some ould boy off a barstool after a few pints and his analysis would be not different. Talk about stating the obvious with a absolute boatload of cliches.

I'm convinced that's what RTE are looking for when they hire people for the Sunday Game, exceptions like Brolly are as a result of RTE fecking up their hiring system.

Farrandeelin

Dessie Dolan must be auditioning for a role on sky. Laois v Armagh...enjoyable?? Who is he trying to fool?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

smelmoth

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 19, 2016, 10:37:57 PM
Dessie Dolan must be auditioning for a role on sky. Laois v Armagh...enjoyable?? Who is he trying to fool?
Would have to agree. The game was tense but totally lacking in quality

And then Jarlath goes off on one. If you are Tim Peake and just arrived back from outer space you might think that Jarlath was calm, tempered and realistic in his assessment of Armagh's position in GAA. But if you knew that not a single person actually expects to win an All Ireland or even Ulster (with this team) then you would wonder what the f**k he was going on about.

Jarlath is part of the crew that gave Geezer the 5 year contract.

Buckass

Jarlath smacks of a lad lining up the gaa presidential gig..terrible fob on the Louth 6 day turnaround...slow to criticise county boards who looked after club players & the gaa will have it sorted next year. Careful now...

Beffs

Quote from: Buckass on June 19, 2016, 11:04:53 PM
Jarlath smacks of a lad lining up the gaa presidential gig..terrible fob on the Louth 6 day turnaround...slow to criticise county boards who looked after club players & the gaa will have it sorted next year. Careful now...

Seriously like. He makes the Healy-Rae's look subtle.  ::)

Give and Go

Does RTE Sport not understand that football and hurling restart with kick outs and not from the centre circle? Fecking crazy that we rarely see the kick outs being taken as we are shown replays ad nauseous with the game in full flow....
poor and uneven coverage of the qualifiers... Laois v Armagh was covered live yesterday and they serve up the bulk of the coverage of the qualifiers on that game; Carlow beat Wicklow but looking at the snippets you would think Wicklow own it...Leitrim and Waterford barely covered...
Analysis is lazy too.
Jar lath is definitely playing to the electorate.
The next round of the qualifiers is now going to be in chaos to allow 2 WEEKS for the replay in Ulster - yet Louth had only 6 days.... you couldn't make it up

vallankumous

The patronising attitude to Carlow, Wicklow, Lietrim and Waterford is great craic.

yellowcard

In the space of one programme Jarlath praised:

The Louth county board
The Meath county board
The Armagh county board (by being 100% behind geezer)
The county boards of weaker counties like Carlow, Leitrim etc
A referee for an outstanding performance
The GAA who will have sorted out the 6 day turnaround for next year