The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

You do not have to use both arms to pull a player down for it to be a black card. I only saw the highlights but I felt the Meyler could be interpreted as a black card for him. A soft one alright but one that could be given.

BennyHarp

It's funny how people see different things - I suppose it shows how difficult it is for a ref to interpret things in a split second. But I genuinely don't see how anyone can think Meyler was at fault in this instance. Hughes made 3 steps towards him and Meyler made 1 and in my view this was in order to ready himself for the hit. I genuinely can't see how anyone looking at it can think that Meyler was cynically trying to  take Hughes out of the play. His arm isn't even wrapped around him, I feel it's just the impact which led to his arm going onto the back. Meyler's game is to get back involved in the play, Hughes was going the opposite direction to the play. Hughes' eyes are 100% fixed on Meyler and he knows exactly what he is doing. The laughter by him afterwards suggested as much too.

The card was rightly rescinded in my opinion, but I would like a full explanation as to why, so we can put this debate to rest and know what's what for the future.

Once again, the issue highlights the difficultly for refs to decide intent. Can we imagine the carnage when after congress they have power to red card someone for diving! McCanns was obvious but not all are so cut and dry.
That was never a square ball!!

screenexile

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 20, 2015, 03:55:40 PM
It's funny how people see different things - I suppose it shows how difficult it is for a ref to interpret things in a split second. But I genuinely don't see how anyone can think Meyler was at fault in this instance. Hughes made 3 steps towards him and Meyler made 1 and in my view this was I n order to ready himself for the hit. I genuinely can see  how anyone looking at it can think that Meyler was cynically trying to  take Hughes out of the play. His arm isn't even wrapped around him, I feel it's just the impact which led to his arm going onto the back. Meyler's game is to get back involved in the play, Hughes was going the opposite direction to the play. Hughes' eyes are 100% fixed on Meyler and he knows exactly what he is doing. The laughter by afterwards suggested as much too.

The card was rightly rescinded but I would like a full explanation as to why so we can put this debate to rest and know what's what for the future.

Once again, the issue highlights the difficultly for refs to decide intent. Can we imagine the carnage when after congress they have power to red card someone for diving! McCanns was obvious but not all are so cut and dry.

I think Hughes was missing Meyler if he had just continued his run. If Hughes didn't miss him I think black card would have went to the Monaghan man.

The problem comes when Meyler moves towards Hughes and then tries to wrap his arms around him.

As for the other poster talking about me watching the Sunday game bias I called this during the game and I actually don't have access to RTE so never saw a jot of there coverage. Sky coverage was very much led down a certain path by Canavan who pushed the notion that Meyler was more sinned against than the sinner!!!

AZOffaly

Meyler changed direction to make sure he collided with the Monaghan lad. I think he was trying to engineer a black card for the Monaghan player. I'm not so sure how that can be interpreted as a black card for Meyler though, as I don't think he pulled him down. I suppose you could say that he was taking the Monaghan man out (i.e. the same foul he was trying to engineer for the Monaghan guy) but I've never seen that given to a member of the attacking team.

Jell 0 Biafra

Looked to me like Meyler pulled his opponent down.  But he did at least change direction and run into an opponent who didn't have the ball, which is still a black card.

Can't for the life of me see how anyone can think the Monaghan lad should have gotten a black card.

Zulu

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 20, 2015, 04:06:17 PM
Meyler changed direction to make sure he collided with the Monaghan lad. I think he was trying to engineer a black card for the Monaghan player. I'm not so sure how that can be interpreted as a black card for Meyler though, as I don't think he pulled him down. I suppose you could say that he was taking the Monaghan man out (i.e. the same foul he was trying to engineer for the Monaghan guy) but I've never seen that given to a member of the attacking team.

That's my interpretation too, Meyler was trying to get the Monaghan man black carded.

QuoteCan we imagine the carnage when after congress they have power to red card someone for diving! McCanns was obvious but not all are so cut and dry.

I hope that's not the solution. I hope it's retrospective bans so that referees are not put into the position of adjudicating on diving as well. The problem though with some referees, like Marty Duffy, is they seem to guess what happened rather than act only on what they know happened.

Stall the Bailer

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 20, 2015, 03:55:40 PM
It's funny how people see different things - I suppose it shows how difficult it is for a ref to interpret things in a split second. But I genuinely don't see how anyone can think Meyler was at fault in this instance. Hughes made 3 steps towards him and Meyler made 1 and in my view this was in order to ready himself for the hit. I genuinely can't see how anyone looking at it can think that Meyler was cynically trying to  take Hughes out of the play. His arm isn't even wrapped around him, I feel it's just the impact which led to his arm going onto the back. Meyler's game is to get back involved in the play, Hughes was going the opposite direction to the play. Hughes' eyes are 100% fixed on Meyler and he knows exactly what he is doing. The laughter by him afterwards suggested as much too.

The card was rightly rescinded in my opinion, but I would like a full explanation as to why, so we can put this debate to rest and know what's what for the future.

If it was so clear cut Duffy would have given him a yellow card and not have sent off Hughes, it wasn't clear cut for Duffy.
Very easy to tell from a TV replay, but refs don't have this benefit though. Fouls can be hard to determine but diving is more difficult. As you need to be sure there was no or minimal contact and even then you can't rule out injuries like a pulled muscle, especially if he is faking an injury to the legs.
Can anyone reminder when a yellow card was handed out for diving?
The only way you could do it safely is by citing.

weejim

duffy hadn't the benefit of replays. the sunday game panelists had 30hours and several different camera angles to see that meyler gave the pass, changed direction to avoid contact while going for the return. hughes then moves sideways to obstruct meylers run. actually if meyler hadn't moved towards him it would have been even more obvious that hughes was launching himself straight at meyler.
SHAME ON YOUSE COLM OROURKE N CIARAN WHELAN FOR TRYING TO CREATE THE PERCECTION THAT TYRONE WERE SOLELY TO BLAME FOR EVERYTHING

In hiding

The Meyler incident is crazy. In my opinion he altered his run at the last minute as it looked like Kieran Hughes was going to continue with his run straight through Conor Meyler. It looked to me like Meyler was protecting himself.

Imagine this.....

Jack Mc Caffrey breaks out of the Dublin defence in the All Ireland final (a la Conor Meyler v Monaghan), Sean Cavanagh sprints across the field to tackle him (a la Kieran Hughes v Tyrone). Mc Caffrey pops off a handpass before colliding with Cavanagh (exactly as the incident involving Meyler and Hughes) and as the ref awards a free to Tyrone and a black card to Mc Caffrey the RTE cameras show a laughing Sean Cavanagh. JUST IMAGINE THE UPROAR!!!!

Rossfan

Them chips are getting bigger ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on August 20, 2015, 06:11:43 PM
Them chips are getting bigger ;D

It's more chip than shoulder at this stage.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: In hiding on August 20, 2015, 06:10:46 PM
The Meyler incident is crazy. In my opinion he altered his run at the last minute as it looked like Kieran Hughes was going to continue with his run straight through Conor Meyler. It looked to me like Meyler was protecting himself.

Imagine this.....

Jack Mc Caffrey breaks out of the Dublin defence in the All Ireland final (a la Conor Meyler v Monaghan), Sean Cavanagh sprints across the field to tackle him (a la Kieran Hughes v Tyrone). Mc Caffrey pops off a handpass before colliding with Cavanagh (exactly as the incident involving Meyler and Hughes) and as the ref awards a free to Tyrone and a black card to Mc Caffrey the RTE cameras show a laughing Sean Cavanagh. JUST IMAGINE THE UPROAR!!!!

Why would Sean Cavanagh sprint across to tackle a lad who had laid the ball off about 5 seconds ago unless he was going looking for trouble?

The bitterness some people have against Tyrone really inhibits them from making any sort of logical sense.

Bensars

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 20, 2015, 07:52:56 PM

Imagine this.....

Why would Sean Cavanagh sprint across to tackle a lad who had laid the ball off about 5 seconds ago unless he was going looking for trouble?

The bitterness some people have against Tyrone really inhibits them from making any sort of logical sense.

Read it again Einstein!

He's backing Tyrone and providing a scenario if it happened elsewhere

muppet

Imagine this.....

;D ;D ;D
MWWSI 2017

omaghjoe

Quote from: Bensars on August 20, 2015, 08:24:38 PM

Imagine this.....

Read it again Einstein!

He's backing Tyrone and providing a scenario if it happened elsewhere

Jaysis bomber :o

Even at the height of my howling and finger pointing last week I dont think I wudda read that as having a dig at big Sean