The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: paddyoslabs on August 18, 2015, 10:10:48 PM
Quote from: Whishtup on August 17, 2015, 10:30:30 PM
The difference is that the hurling pundits aren't that long retired.  They get excited by the cut and thrust, the fights, the game and hence the commentary is better, more honest.  These old cranky football pundits are now so removed from football that they don't understand it.  That's why you had Pat Spillane getting excited by the Meath/Mayo brawl when he still had his  mojo.  They are taking the constraints of growing old out on the football-loving public of Ireland and rotting the heart out of the viewers who diligintly tune in to watch every week, only to be handed up sanctimonius tripe.

no long retired?tomas mulcahy,Loughnane,farrell,the like of eddie brennan is a breath of fresh air,also donal og and king henry,

Yeah, not sure it's the length of retirement per se, I think it's just a fundamental attitude difference. We've said it here numerous times in the past when contrasting the hurling and football pundits. The Hurling lads seem to genuinely enjoy the games, even the average ones, and they want others to enjoy them too. Evangelists almost. The Football lads give the impression they are being held at gunpoint.

That said, the likes of Dessie Dolan seems to genuinely enjoy the games, so maybe there's hope yet.

INDIANA

Quote from: paddyoslabs on August 18, 2015, 10:10:48 PM
Quote from: Whishtup on August 17, 2015, 10:30:30 PM
The difference is that the hurling pundits aren't that long retired.  They get excited by the cut and thrust, the fights, the game and hence the commentary is better, more honest.  These old cranky football pundits are now so removed from football that they don't understand it.  That's why you had Pat Spillane getting excited by the Meath/Mayo brawl when he still had his  mojo.  They are taking the constraints of growing old out on the football-loving public of Ireland and rotting the heart out of the viewers who diligintly tune in to watch every week, only to be handed up sanctimonius tripe.

no long retired?tomas mulcahy,Loughnane,farrell,the like of eddie brennan is a breath of fresh air,also donal og and king henry,

Have to say I don't find any of them good at all. Just cliches and soundbytes

deiseach

Loughnane should be a co-commentator. That's where he does his best work.

haranguerer

Quote from: hardstation on August 17, 2015, 09:49:57 PM
It's not an RTE thing. It is at the stage where almost every time you have a conversation with someone about the most recent football game, it starts with "That was shite yesterday, wasn't it?" or something similar.

Because they had numerous pundits telling them it was sh**e and so they (a) thought they should agree to appear knowledgeable, and (b) noticed the bad more as thats all that was talked about

paddyoslabs

Quote from: deiseach on August 19, 2015, 10:17:33 AM

ah I  think Loughnane and Farrell could be put out to pasture now,

muppet

Quote from: paddyoslabs on August 19, 2015, 11:35:54 AM
Quote from: deiseach on August 19, 2015, 10:17:33 AM

ah I  think Loughnane and Farrell could be put out to pasture now,

I always found Duignan to be a very good co-commentator.

But then I prefer pundits who point out the subtle stuff, that I probably missed, rather than those who point out the blatantly obvious, albeit in beautifully arranged flowery sentences.

I'll give an example.

The Deise were playing someone and Duignan was co-commentator. He told us that Dan the Man was at wing half forward and every time the opposition pucked the ball out he turned and sprinted towards the opposition goal. But the ball never came in. He reckoned Dan would keep doing it, but his marker would eventually get looser and looser in tracking him, as not a single ball had been hit towards him.

Sure enough in the 2nd half a long ball, returned straight off an opposition puck out, found Dan umarked and he buried it.

Just think of all the other commentators and pundits who would be questioning the marking or how Dan had brilliantly found space. But they wouldn't have had a clue where the goal game from, and neither would I for that matter.

Duignan understands the game is able to call stuff like that.
MWWSI 2017

deiseach

I wasn't the biggest fan of Duignan (see: Forde, David) but my respect for him soared when Henry Shefflin opted to pop over the free he had late in 2012 draw with Galway to give Kilkenny a one-point lead rather than take the goal chance that was available. You can argue the toss over whether it was the right decision, but Duignan was utterly shocked and made it clear that he was utterly shocked. For having the courage to question the choice of the man universally known as King Henry rather than giving us a 'on the one hand...' spiel really made me warm to Duignan.

omagh_gael

I think McStay is the top analyst for me. I actually rewatched our semi final in 05 versus Armagh last night and he did a great job as co-commentator. Although, reliving the euphoria probably clouded my judgement!

Hound

Cyril Farrell has great time for the big 3 or 4 "traditional" hurling counties, less so for the rest
Farrell's stock answer for Dublin hurlers, is that they're all "manufactured hurlers". And if Dublin ever win a game, he always refers to their fitness and conditioning, never ability.

A typical example of this was early last Sunday they briefly discussed the two earlier minor matches. His comment on the Tipp - Dublin game was "ah Tipp had all the natural forwards". As if these Tipp lads don't get any coaching! (And not to mention that the best forward on the day from either team was probably Dublin's wing forward who knocked over 4 or 5 long rangers from play)

AZOffaly

Cyril normally has great time for Offaly as well. Wristy hurlers as he calls them.

Stall the Bailer

I think a lot of the older pundits who haven't played or managed at high level in recent past, results in them having little connection with the current players/game.
What would they know about chasing skirt, studying for exams, dealing with unemployment, changing nappies, building a house and all the other things you could be doing while being an inter-county star. Then there are all the changes in current game that they had no exposure to or experience off. Social media, dieticians, video analysis, gym plans, change in tactics etc.
If they can't empathise or understand the current players and game,
How can they give us a knowledgeable insight in to it?
How can they even be passionate or positive about it?

Now not all recently retired players or managers make good pundits either. Some managers just come across as spoofers  (arseboxing..!). And not everyone has the communication skills or reading off a game that is needed for commentary/game analysis.  Like good players don't necessarily make good managers (different skill sets needed) the same can also be said of players and managers in relation to media work.

Some of the best I have found are those that brought something new to the game, like Jim McGuiness. Or those like Tony McEntee that highlights important parts of the tactics being used.   Or those that can give an insight to what players do or did in a game (like some of Dara Ó Sé stories)

Bord na Mona man

Duignan is excellent at seeing what goes on around the field, the positions, the switches, the duels. He doesn't just follow the ball. His weakness would be his knowledge of the rules and the high threshold he'd have for awarding a free.

The guys in studio. I'm not sure what Tomas Mulcahy offers these days. Whatever he was going to say, I'd say he said it years ago. Cyril Farrell plays it safe, but you'd warm to his enthusiasm. Loughnane is similar. He won't make any startling insights, but a great man to make games seem "epic".

Every panel needs a couple of recent retirees whose views are more to date on the more modern preparations and game plans. Cusack and Brennan are doing a good job right now, but may run of rope some time int he future.

deiseach

I know its trivial, but the manner of delivery matters so...McStay has a brilliant voice. The manner in which he barks everything out is just great, proper military bearing.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on August 19, 2015, 03:21:40 PM
Duignan is excellent at seeing what goes on around the field, the positions, the switches, the duels. He doesn't just follow the ball. His weakness would be his knowledge of the rules and the high threshold he'd have for awarding a free.

The guys in studio. I'm not sure what Tomas Mulcahy offers these days. Whatever he was going to say, I'd say he said it years ago. Cyril Farrell plays it safe, but you'd warm to his enthusiasm. Loughnane is similar. He won't make any startling insights, but a great man to make games seem "epic".

Every panel needs a couple of recent retirees whose views are more to date on the more modern preparations and game plans. Cusack and Brennan are doing a good job right now, but may run of rope some time int he future.

Mulcahy is supposed to be favourite for the Cork job if JBM doesn't continue, so he might be moving on.