The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: tyroneman on August 10, 2015, 07:02:18 AM
And it's an absolute disgrace that panelists can now try and set agendas for referees and the disciplinary committee.

What's a disgrace is the ongoing and continual behaviour of the Tyrone players year in year out all presided over by the same man.

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 09, 2015, 11:37:31 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 09, 2015, 11:22:14 PM
How many indiscretions did Ciaran Whelan come out and apologise for throughout his career?
All manly stuff and boxes to boys heads. None of this soccer style diving and play acting you get from Cavanagh etc.  :P
It's getting to the stage now where the next time there is a dive in soccer it will be called a Gaelic Football style dive....
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

five points

Quote from: laoislad on August 10, 2015, 09:38:27 AM
It's getting to the stage now where the next time there is a dive in soccer it will be called a Gaelic Football style dive....

If that happens, pay no heed to to the knockers, it's nothing new.

When Kevin Moran was sent off (wrongly) in the 1985 FA Cup, one of the tabloids (I think the Mirror) attacked him saying it was a "typical Gaelic Football tackle".

outside-the-wire

Do Tyrone people ever think there's no smoke without fire?

straightred

Quote from: heffo on August 10, 2015, 08:56:21 AM
Quote from: tyroneman on August 10, 2015, 07:02:18 AM
And it's an absolute disgrace that panelists can now try and set agendas for referees and the disciplinary committee.

What's a disgrace is the ongoing and continual behaviour of the Tyrone players year in year out all presided over by the same man.

Agreed. Too much focus on the McCann dive as well. The game was over by then and this didn't matter. What did matter was all the soft frees from the 1st minute to the last.

Il Bomber Destro

Rossfan

Quote from: outside-the-wire on August 10, 2015, 09:59:40 AM
Obviously not.
Quite frankly their team's antics are totally disgusting and it's time GAA HQ charged them with bringing the game into disrepute.
Last Saturday was a new low even for them.
Sickening!!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Rossfan on August 10, 2015, 11:04:51 AM
Quote from: outside-the-wire on August 10, 2015, 09:59:40 AM
Obviously not.
Quite frankly their team's antics are totally disgusting and it's time GAA HQ charged them with bringing the game into disrepute.
Last Saturday was a new low even for them.
Sickening!!!

::)

Gold

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Wildweasel74

Big Aidan was practising his hero Sean cavanagh art of diving.

muppet

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 10, 2015, 10:58:43 AM

Good catch.

Clear punch with the right hand followed by the big Sean, 'I am innocent' hands in the air.
MWWSI 2017

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: muppet on August 10, 2015, 12:26:34 PM

Good catch.

Clear punch with the right hand followed by the big Sean, 'I am innocent' hands in the air.

Sweep, Sweep.

tbrick18

The only thing wrong with what was said on the Sunday Game last night is that they let Monaghan off lightly too, but I kind of see the reasoning behind that.
They weren't trying to excuse Monaghan, rather they seemed to be trying to highlight that it seems to be an ingrained way of playing by Tyrone teams from minor, U21 and into Senior.
It's hard to argue against that given this year alone.

Yes other teams do it to and extent, but the level to which Tyrone do it does warrant extra attention from the punditry and media IMO.

I personally dont like the sly digs or sledging as its called which goes on off the ball, but I really cannot abide the lying down pretending to be dying carry on in a deliberate attempt to get a man sent off.
There are only a couple of valid reasons to partake in this sort of behaviour,
a) a complete lack of confidence in your own ability vs the ability of the opposition so you do anything you can to either get the other player sent off/injured/wound up to an extent they cant play.
b) a complete lack of respect towards other players who put as much time and effort into the game as anyone else and so you treat them like sh*t to scrape off your boot

I think in Tyrone, its a bit of both when it comes to these county teams.
It has to be said though, I know quite a few Tyronnies who I'd class as out and out GAA people and they dont like this carry on either and would never try to justify it. But there are a few who seem to think its all fair game to cheat and tr**p your way through other teams as they're not the only ones who do it.

There are so many things wrong in the GAA at present, the ability of teams and individuals to get away with behaving like that on a pitch, the inconsistency and ineptitude of the vast majority of intercounty referees, the complete disregard that Croke Park have for the frustration of supporters/teams with regards to refereeing and the unbalanced championship setup that it's becoming more and more difficult to see the positives.
I would like to see more action taken by the powers that be against teams/players who engage in this play acting/diving/cheating. I dont think it'll happen though.

As for the Sunday game itself, the pundits are stating their opinion. I've not problems with that even when I dont agree. I'd rather have them free to state what they think as opposed to the normal cliche type analysis you tend to get on the Sky broadcasts or the MOTD. For me, they are a better reflection of what the grass roots of the GAA think.

muppet

Quote from: Hospital Road on August 10, 2015, 12:39:56 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 10, 2015, 12:26:34 PM

Good catch.

No surprise. Deflecting evidence with a sarcastic answer.

The Irish education has a lot to answer for. It has let its population down for decades.

Says the man who wrote this:

Quote from: Hospital Road on August 02, 2015, 09:48:06 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 02, 2015, 09:33:08 PM
Quote from: Hospital Road on August 02, 2015, 09:13:45 PM
If my county were serious contenders for the All Ireland and the defence conceded 1-7 to a pizza munching fat arse, I know what I would worry about more.

In fairness I think you'll agree that maybe the goal should not have stood.
Ive looked at it several times. Quigley stood his ground, Cluxton with ball charged straight into Quigley, Cluxton bounces off lardarse and goes back with ball behind goal line. A fair goal I think.
MWWSI 2017

CD

Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!