The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Jinxy on June 09, 2014, 04:35:21 PM
Why is Colm always lumped in with the other two?
They should keep him as senior analyst and get some young lad alongside him who knows how to work an iPad.

What exactly does O'Rourke offer? He's like an aul granddad in the corner that you have to give a nudge every while to make sure he's still breathing.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Orior

Quote from: Zulu on June 10, 2014, 09:21:21 AM
Really? I think it's awful at this stage. A studio debate can be both entertaining and informative but Brolly and Spillane are like two school kids who don't like each other and will argue over anything. I don't think I've ever heard Pat say something that above bog basic and he hasn't had an original point in over 10 years. Colm and brolly are at least capable of interesting points though putting the three together is just car crash stuff. When there are young guys like McGinley, mcconnville etc. it's bizarre they don't freshen it up.

Not those two. Enda McNulty is streets ahead of both.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

whiskeysteve

whether you like Joe Trolly or loathe him is much of a muchness, until he ultimately goes too far in some regard he pulls in more viewers than he alienates, is arguably one of the most creatively provocative and high profile sports figures in Ireland, pulls in the viewing figures and that's that.

Don't understand why O'Rourke gets lumped in by association with the other 2. If he wasn't there it would be worse.

Spillane functioning neither as the insightful, analytical pundit or as the shock jock - sounds very stale and tired and must be the pick of the 3 for a change up.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

AZOffaly

I just don't watch the half time analysis on RTE any more. I find it is good for my Zen.

imtommygunn

Quote from: whiskeysteve on June 10, 2014, 09:42:24 AM
whether you like Joe Trolly or loathe him is much of a muchness, until he ultimately goes too far in some regard he pulls in more viewers than he alienates, is arguably one of the most creatively provocative and high profile sports figures in Ireland, pulls in the viewing figures and that's that.

Don't understand why O'Rourke gets lumped in by association with the other 2. If he wasn't there it would be worse.

Spillane functioning neither as the insightful, analytical pundit or as the shock jock - sounds very stale and tired and must be the pick of the 3 for a change up.

Does he really pull in more viewers than he alienates though? I find most people you talk to turn it over or on mute at half time. It would be hard to know as if you want to watch the matches it's the only channel to watch so no one will ever be able to quantify!

There's being provocative and there's being a d**k and Joe moved over that line a while ago.

However in saying that I think Pat should go and they should build from there.

I used to sky plus sunday game and only watch the highlights and not listen to the punditry but O'Se etc more interesting now but half time, sunday aside when I wasn't in my own house, is a no no.

Jinxy

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 10, 2014, 09:48:23 AM
I just don't watch the half time analysis on RTE any more. I find it is good for my Zen.

And God knows you need all the zen you can get at the moment.  ;)
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Jinxy

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 10, 2014, 09:29:54 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on June 09, 2014, 04:35:21 PM
Why is Colm always lumped in with the other two?
They should keep him as senior analyst and get some young lad alongside him who knows how to work an iPad.

What exactly does O'Rourke offer? He's like an aul granddad in the corner that you have to give a nudge every while to make sure he's still breathing.

Have manners you pup.
That's one of the top 5 Meathmen of all time you're talking about.

AZOffaly

Is Mr. Tayto one of the other 4?

orangeman

It's entertainment. Some people like it. Some don't. That's just the way of it. Dunphy divides opinion but a lot look forward to hearing him.

AZOffaly

Quote from: orangeman on June 10, 2014, 10:06:36 AM
It's entertainment. Some people like it. Some don't. That's just the way of it. Dunphy divides opinion but a lot look forward to hearing him.

But do they? How 'popular' is Joe Brolly the TV analyst. Joe Brolly the man seems to be a sound chap by all accounts, but how many people listen to his analysis on the live games, and how many are actively turned off by his theatrics? I'm one of the latter certainly. Maybe I should add a poll.

Jinxy

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 10, 2014, 10:03:08 AM
Is Mr. Tayto one of the other 4?

Mr Tayto, Seán Boylan, Noel V. Ginnity and St. Oliver Plunkett are the other 4.

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 10, 2014, 10:12:22 AM
Quote from: orangeman on June 10, 2014, 10:06:36 AM

But do they? How 'popular' is Joe Brolly the TV analyst. Joe Brolly the man seems to be a sound chap by all accounts, but how many people listen to his analysis on the live games, and how many are actively turned off by his theatrics? I'm one of the latter certainly. Maybe I should add a poll.

People I talk to love him for what he might come out with - maybe there's a bit of a northern southern thing going on as well ?

Sure put up a poll and see.

AZOffaly

If this is a Northern Southern thing then I'd be disappointed. Because that means our Northern members like someone who personally attacks players and managers of our games. I don't see that as an acceptable form of 'analysis' and if that's because I'm based in the South, then I think that's a sad state of affairs.

orangeman

Ok Joe does go OTT at times but he is a good reader and he's not bland or boring. He usually is prepared to tell it the way it is, warts and all.

supersarsfields

I wouldn't say It's a north V south thing. The problem with Joe is that he always has to have a hook that he'll labour on rather than dealing with the analysis of the game as he should. He always trys to revert any discussion back to this point throughout his analysis in an attempt to show that he was right all along. It's got boring now.
I actually Like JB, but just find him hard to listen to as an Analyst.