The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: Jinxy on June 10, 2013, 07:34:16 AM
The Lee Chin stuff was a bit much.
Hope they don't make a habit of trying to analyse games while a player who was involved is sitting beside them on the couch.

To me it smacked of complete tokenism, fair enough he is a dual player but just didn't sit right with me.

PAULD123

The Spillane/Brolly sort of commentary is entertaining. I actually like listening to Joe, he is quite funny. The problem I have is that, while some comic relief is welcome, this is not a comedy show. The headline grabbing interjections should be significantly overshadowed by serious analysis which would help people understand what has happened.

Most of the program should be about explaining how the blanket defence works and the various nuances of the variations worked by different teams. Or discussing serious methods setting up a team with two up front or three up front. Or the best way to use handpassing combined with attacking wing-backs. When best to use a direct ball. How different teams set up their game play to suit the players they have available to them. Or how one team set up their team to specifically deal with the threats of another......etc

If this happened we might actually gain some knowledge from TSG. I'd like to see an regular segment on the life of a county footballer showing his training regime, his commitment, giving us insight to him as a person. It would be fascinating to see the different approaches between different counties. Even this could include some light-hearted stuff like "who is the laziest player in training?"...etc.

The show should be at least an hour and half long. And certainly contain a lot more intelligent and knowledgeable analysis than - Cavan double marked Jamie Clarke. How about telling us how they got away with it, as that obviously left another area exposed. Even worse is the common phrase - It was the goals that won the game? Seriously!!!!! They can sit there with smug looks on their faces, like they have just unveiled a sacred mystery, and earn their money for such blatantly obvious comments?

BennyHarp

Quote from: PAULD123 on June 10, 2013, 11:06:15 AM
The Spillane/Brolly sort of commentary is entertaining. I actually like listening to Joe, he is quite funny. The problem I have is that, while some comic relief is welcome, this is not a comedy show. The headline grabbing interjections should be significantly overshadowed by serious analysis which would help people understand what has happened.

Most of the program should be about explaining how the blanket defence works and the various nuances of the variations worked by different teams. Or discussing serious methods setting up a team with two up front or three up front. Or the best way to use handpassing combined with attacking wing-backs. When best to use a direct ball. How different teams set up their game play to suit the players they have available to them. Or how one team set up their team to specifically deal with the threats of another......etc

If this happened we might actually gain some knowledge from TSG. I'd like to see an regular segment on the life of a county footballer showing his training regime, his commitment, giving us insight to him as a person. It would be fascinating to see the different approaches between different counties. Even this could include some light-hearted stuff like "who is the laziest player in training?"...etc.

The show should be at least an hour and half long. And certainly contain a lot more intelligent and knowledgeable analysis than - Cavan double marked Jamie Clarke. How about telling us how they got away with it, as that obviously left another area exposed. Even worse is the common phrase - It was the goals that won the game? Seriously!!!!! They can sit there with smug looks on their faces, like they have just unveiled a sacred mystery, and earn their money for such blatantly obvious comments?

I think you'll find Pat Spillane gave a very indepth analysis of the blanket defence a few weeks ago - something along the lines of .... Donegal use an expensive home made blanket and Limerick use a cheap blanket imported from abroad. What more do you want?  :D
That was never a square ball!!

Wildweasel74

it used to be the games not on live were shown on long highlights than evening, I rather see 3/4 games 20 - 25 mins each with only a little analysis. Highlights of games should be more than 5-10mins, we give the antrim game the exception. Louth Wexford looked to be a good game but how would i know, i was going on 5mins if that of footage. Alot of the time first game on the sunday games is highlights of the one we already watched during the day and not the others not televised which i would want to see. this would give the panel minimal time and let the football do the talking. I can analysis the way teams are set up for myself and not need the dummies guide(panel) on whats happening and why!!

From the Bunker

The Sunday Game has become a bit Punch and Judy! Spillane with his anti-Blanket! Brolly with his pro-ulster! In Fairness bar Spillane, who is dung. Brolly, O'Rourke and McStay are decent.

Rossfan

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 10, 2013, 08:04:59 PM
it used to be the games not on live were shown on long highlights than evening, I rather see 3/4 games 20 - 25 mins each with only a little analysis. and let the football do the talking.

+1.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ck

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 10, 2013, 08:27:57 PM
The Sunday Game has become a bit Punch and Judy! Spillane with his anti-Blanket! Brolly with his pro-ulster! In Fairness bar Spillane, who is dung. Brolly, O'Rourke and McStay are decent.

Agree with this. Brolly despite his arrogance does have a strong inside knowledge for the game and i enjoy him, when he's critical he usually backs it up with valid points. O'Rourke and McStay in fairness do try to analyse the games too.
Spillane is just an a smartarse pure and simple. No real knowledge of the modern game, black and white in his views and talks utter shite most of the time. He's a Bollox and RTE love him

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Rossfan on June 10, 2013, 09:05:36 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 10, 2013, 08:04:59 PM
it used to be the games not on live were shown on long highlights than evening, I rather see 3/4 games 20 - 25 mins each with only a little analysis. and let the football do the talking.

+1.
+ 1000

Captain Obvious

Brolly,Spillane are attention seekers they use analysis to hype themselves up. Eamon Dunphy does it on soccer and George Hook on rugby however RTE shouldn't allow it for GAA coverage.

theticklemister

Playing devils advocate here....... Usually the games shown live are the best games of the weeend, have the RTEs best commentators and have the most cameras at the games. Plus a lot of the true GAA people re away watching their club pkay during the day and miss the lives games.

But I agree with the wildweasel there, more coverage needs to be shown. I have not seen the sunday highlughts this hut to be honest I really am looking orward to watching it when I can get a chance. I miss brolly.

I tink mcstay is the best however.

Minder

Quote from: theticklemister on June 10, 2013, 10:59:19 PM
Playing devils advocate here....... Usually the games shown live are the best games of the weeend, have the RTEs best commentators and have the most cameras at the games. Plus a lot of the true GAA people re away watching their club pkay during the day and miss the lives games.

But I agree with the wildweasel there, more coverage needs to be shown. I have not seen the sunday highlughts this hut to be honest I really am looking orward to watching it when I can get a chance. I miss brolly.

I tink mcstay is the best however.

No Morrissey and Canning do most of those games.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ck

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 10, 2013, 10:51:27 PM
Brolly,Spillane are attention seekers they use analysis to hype themselves up. Eamon Dunphy does it on soccer and George Hook on rugby however RTE shouldn't allow it for GAA coverage.

Why should RTE not allow it for GAA coverage? Why would GAA be any different??
Bottom line is that viewing figures are higher when you have a degree of controversy and RTE only care about viewing figures. Once RTE get over themselves with the patronising efforts to bring in minorities (Lee Chin and loosing managers) normal service will resume and Spillane and Brolly will be united once again!

BennyHarp

Quote from: ck on June 11, 2013, 07:19:41 AM

Bottom line is that viewing figures are higher when you have a degree of controversy and RTE only care about viewing figures. Once RTE get over themselves with the patronising efforts to bring in minorities (Lee Chin and loosing managers) normal service will resume and Spillane and Brolly will be united once again!

Can you not see a difference between heavily criticising Paul Grimley for example on National television and criticising the massively well paid Giovanni Trappatoni or Declan Kidney?
That was never a square ball!!

ck

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 11, 2013, 10:41:38 AM
Quote from: ck on June 11, 2013, 07:19:41 AM

Can you not see a difference between heavily criticising Paul Grimley for example on National television and criticising the massively well paid Giovanni Trappatoni or Declan Kidney?

Of course I can, fair point. However what do we as an audience want, patronising dribble stating that we are all GAA men and doing our best etc. Or do we accept that if you take on a high profile managers job then you are accepting scrutiny and you are up there to be shot at. Brolly was slightly indulging however all he actually said was that Grimley was out of his depth. No matter how you look at it, it's hard to argue with that point. Brolly usually can back up his criticism with strong evidence and deep understanding, Spillane can't.
Your point stands however and perhaps there are limits we should accept. I for one, am keen on Brollys views, strong or otherwise, as I believe him to be genuine and not just tryin to be sensationalist like Spillane.

Wildweasel74

Are we not killing ourselves talking about minorities, Is the young lad not Irish born?/ Noticed him against Derry in the league at no.6, has the makings of a very good footballer