What's gone wrong with Roscommon Senior Team?

Started by Shrewdness, April 11, 2010, 08:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Quote from: Syferus on November 23, 2013, 10:17:31 PM
Think Mike will be going well to still be a starting midfielder by the end of 2014. Technically speaking he isn't even one entering 2014 either as Cathal and Mango started the Tyrone game.

Cathal Shine has already shown something and needs more game-time, Thomas Corcoran is probably assured his senior debut in 2014 and Mango is going to be involved too. The problem with Mike is that he's not physical enough, his body-shape needs to show significant change this off-season - he puts in all the effort you could ever ask for from a player on the field, if he does it off the field too he still has a future.

Mike wasn't fit to start v Tyrone & then missed a few club games through injury. He started all 7 league games & along side Keenan,McDermott was one of our few players that played well v Mayo. What he needs more than body shaping is a more mobile partner beside him.

In Cathal Shine,Thomas Corcoran,Ultan Harney,Cathal Compton we have plenty of good underage midfielders hopefully they can make the step up to senior level in the years ahead as Mangos county days are coming to close & needs replacing.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

Quote from: ross4life on November 23, 2013, 10:56:09 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 23, 2013, 10:17:31 PM
Think Mike will be going well to still be a starting midfielder by the end of 2014. Technically speaking he isn't even one entering 2014 either as Cathal and Mango started the Tyrone game.

Cathal Shine has already shown something and needs more game-time, Thomas Corcoran is probably assured his senior debut in 2014 and Mango is going to be involved too. The problem with Mike is that he's not physical enough, his body-shape needs to show significant change this off-season - he puts in all the effort you could ever ask for from a player on the field, if he does it off the field too he still has a future.

Mike wasn't fit to start v Tyrone & then missed a few club games through injury. He started all 7 league games & along side Keenan,McDermott was one of our few players that played well v Mayo. What he needs more than body shaping is a more mobile partner beside him.

In Cathal Shine,Thomas Corcoran,Ultan Harney,Cathal Compton we have plenty of good underage midfielders hopefully they can make the step up to senior level in the years ahead as Mangos county days are coming to close & needs replacing.

Finneran came on that day, he wasn't in a terribly bad way. Evans was reacting to the Mayo game and choosing to cull Finneran over Mango was telling. Mango was missing in the league and with Hoey not sticking around Finneran starting all the league games only tells us Evans had no options available to him.

Finneran has a few years left in him but in no way is he a certain or even likely starter come the league. He needs to prove himself all over again, just as he did in 2010.

ross4life

Quote from: Syferus on November 23, 2013, 11:19:14 PM

Finneran came on that day, he wasn't in a terribly bad way. Evans was reacting to the Mayo game and choosing to cull Finneran over Mango was telling. Mango was missing in the league and with Hoey not sticking around Finneran starting all the league games only tells us Evans had no options available to him.

Finneran has a few years left in him but in no way is he a certain or even likely starter come the league. He needs to prove himself all over again, just as he did in 2010.

We have long history of starting or bringing on injured players. Kevin Higgins,Senan Kilbride,David O'Gara was those culled from the Mayo game Donie Smith was Ill. I'm Not sure how you think Mike needs to prove himself all over again when hes playing well & at peak age.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

Quote from: ross4life on November 23, 2013, 11:51:55 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 23, 2013, 11:19:14 PM

We have long history of starting or bringing on injured players. Kevin Higgins,Senan Kilbride,David O'Gara was those culled from the Mayo game Donie Smith was Ill. I'm Not sure how you think Mike needs to prove himself all over again when hes playing well & at peak age.

Finn isn't the sort of midfielder the sport has moved towards, indeed there have been few players in the game that resemble Finn - tall, lanky and outwardly awkward.

Especially when the ground is slippery and soft (at the Hyde that's always) he has trouble staying on his feet. Despite being one of the tallest players in the country I can barely remember Finn even attempting to win a contested ball clean and alot of times he will only put an aimless fist up for a ball and that makes the breaking ball a total lottery. Finn doesn't police the middle. He needs to be stronger all over, shoulder, legs, core if he is to fulfil his potential.

His career will go one of two ways from this point - he'll either reinvent himself in the same way Rory Kavanagh did at a similar point in his career, strengthen up and adapt to what's required from midfielders at the highest level of IC play, or he will be gradually farmed off as players like Shine, Corcoran, Harney and Compton come on-line.

I have a soft spot for Finn but sometimes I think you (and others) let the man's sheer level of effort mask his deficiencies. I genuinely want to see Finn reach his best as he's shown he has a high ceiling but he's still not the complete package.

ross4life

Quote from: Syferus on November 24, 2013, 12:57:51 AM
Finn isn't the sort of midfielder the sport has moved towards, indeed there have been few players in the game that resemble Finn - tall, lanky and outwardly awkward.

Especially when the ground is slippery and soft (at the Hyde that's always) he has trouble staying on his feet. Despite being one of the tallest players in the country I can barely remember Finn even attempting to win a contested ball clean and alot of times he will only put an aimless fist up for a ball and that makes the breaking ball a total lottery. Finn doesn't police the middle. He needs to be stronger all over, shoulder, legs, core if he is to fulfil his potential.

His career will go one of two ways from this point - he'll either reinvent himself in the same way Rory Kavanagh did at a similar point in his career, strengthen up and adapt to what's required from midfielders at the highest level of IC play, or he will be gradually farmed off as players like Shine, Corcoran, Harney and Compton come on-line.

I have a soft spot for Finn but sometimes I think you (and others) let the man's sheer level of effort mask his deficiencies. I genuinely want to see Finn reach his best as he's shown he has a high ceiling but he's still not the complete package.

I think you somewhat underrated him & judging a book by its cover, most if not all players have some sort of deficiencies, the sheer level of effort as you call it won him the Roscommon player of the year not so long ago. For example remember the Galway game in 2012 and how much of void he left he also happens to be one of our few leaders.

I wonder is there a complete package midfielder in Ireland at the moment? the age of high fielding midfielders is almost dead & don't expect Finneran who will be 29 next year to suddenly change his way.

I disagree for a big guy he has good balance and getting your fist to the ball instead of catching is very common for midfielders nowadays. It would be less of lottery if our players were better at winning the breaking ball (just a thought).  Lets be honest for years big Mike struggled to make any impact against good midfielders but these last three years he adapted this game to compete with some of the best midfielders and hopefully his consistency keeps going for another few years yet as his experience and leadership can only be good for the underage players coming through.

larryin89

I'd agree with the poster above about the breaking ball / dirty ball, it is probably the most vital part of the game nowadays, speedy halfbacks and half forwards who will mop it up are priceless.

Dublin set the bar in this years final showing how fast and excellent stamina midfield can dictate through your own kick out at least and especially against a more traditional pairing of big men whose more preferred game would be to contest a high ball.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on November 24, 2013, 12:57:51 AM
I have a soft spot for Finn but sometimes I think you (and others) let the man's sheer level of effort mask his deficiencies.

A bit like you and your hero worship of that big O'Shea fella (Aidan) who plays for Mayowestros. ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM