The Future for Laois Football

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, July 05, 2021, 12:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jd

I reckon Donie will go in with the lads minor team alongside Ger Slevin and John Connolly . They were over u16 setup this year and Ger has been nominated for next year's minor post

High Fielder

Great time to get the Laois job if you feel you could make a difference. When I saw he had stepped down it was the first thing I thought. He shouldn't even be a candidate but I doubt they can be bothered to go looking. So on that basis why not? It's where we're at sadly

Butch Cassidy

Jd

Quote from: Butch Cassidy on July 26, 2023, 05:37:49 PM
What were the u16s like JD?
I believe they're fairly good have a nice few starters and panelists from this year's minors going in. Results wise they struggled a bit without them players but with them back they're a good prospect. Ger has been with that group in the acadamy for the last few years so it's a natural progression. He will know every player of county standard by now and they were well trained RE diet and S+C. But with minors you never know I suppose

Joeythelips

Would Anthony Cunningham be a shout for senior job given his CV? If he is willing to manage Port he would surely go for Laois job?

High Fielder

Probably not. He knows full well that his chances of doing anything with Laois are very slim. On the other hand, he can legitimately expect to win a Championship with Port at the very least. We have a few names mentioned on another thread that will probably be much better options than whoever we get for the Senior position. Another alarm bell

Zooming around

Quote from: Joeythelips on July 27, 2023, 02:52:33 PM
Would Anthony Cunningham be a shout for senior job given his CV? If he is willing to manage Port he would surely go for Laois job?

Was he not involved before??

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: Zooming around on July 27, 2023, 05:24:29 PM
Quote from: Joeythelips on July 27, 2023, 02:52:33 PM

Was he not involved before??

He was involved with Laois as a coach when Mick Lillis managed them in 2016. Lillis thought highly of him at the time.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Laois Rising

Quote from: Batman!!! on July 25, 2023, 10:46:19 PM
Does Donie Brennan now become an option for the Laois County Board to consider as the next Senior Football boss following his ladies step down? Remarkable job done with the ladies

I'm not so sure it can be classed as a remarkable job. With the number of clubs and strength of Ladies football within the county it was shocking that Laois were barely even competing at intermediate level for the number of years with a lot of our better players opting not to commit to the Laois set up.

In fairness he got many of those players back onboard and things progressed from there and it was a happy camp for the last couple of years he was over them. However, they are at a level now that they should be at and the test of his ability as a manager would have been to see of he could take them another step or two up the ladder and properly compete with the likes of Mayo, Cork or a Meath.

To hand him the job of Laois senior football manager off the back barely beating Wexford in an intermediate final and staying in senior championship by defeating a woeful Cavan side this year wouldn't be my call.   

High Fielder

By virtue of recent appointments and redundancies (for want of a better word) our reputation is piss poor. Nobody wants this job and we're running out of people to blind side into taking it. They'd be better off just filling it with whoever wants it and moving on. It's obvious from other threads that the money would be better spent on our younger players

BrotherMore6592

Laois should close the gates and let the cattle on to graze

GAAFan2003

I heard Steven Poachers name mentioned for the Senior Job. I didn't believe it, but he was spotted in Portlaoise on Saturday evening.

Spiritof86

Quote from: GAAFan2003 on July 31, 2023, 03:49:20 PM
I heard Steven Poachers name mentioned for the Senior Job. I didn't believe it, but he was spotted in Portlaoise on Saturday evening.

Lol . Good one .

Butch Cassidy

Poacher...surely a wind up?

Bad result for Portlaoise minors tonight, anyone on the ground tell us how the underage in the club is going? How are numbers?

Laois man

What's poacher like? Was he with Carlow at one time?