Mayo v Galway, MacHale Park, Sunday 13th May 4pm

Started by From the Bunker, April 01, 2018, 08:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/connacht-sfc-quarterfinal-another-setback-leaves-mayo-on-the-brink-36903282.html

"His younger brother, Diarmuid, who was also sent off against Galway in the league clash in February, will rue yesterday's incident with Conroy for a long time as it may well have cost Mayo the chance to stay on the provincial route to the 'Super 8s'.

He could have no excuses, nor will there be any sympathy for him. Good discipline is crucial for success and, on this occasion, O'Connor didn't pass the test.

Just as Donal Vaughan's rash intervention, which led to his dismissal against Dublin in last year's All-Ireland final, may have cost Mayo victory, O'Connor's exit added to a workload that his colleagues just couldn't carry.
But then, hurting themselves has been a problem for this Mayo squad for quite some time and may well be the reason why they won't be the group to break the All-Ireland hoodoo.
"

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

highorlow

QuoteAs someone who lost a few teeth (while wearing a gumshield I might add) to a similar incident

Pity you didn't lose your fingers.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

lurganblue

Quote from: Syferus on May 14, 2018, 01:02:43 AM
The match would have been dusted far earlier if Walsh knew how to utilise Comer effectively. Barrett was totally out-matched.

Thought Barrett did a great job on Comer in the 2nd half.

Overall i was disappointed in Galway. No Cillian O'Connor (from the start) and no Keagan.  D O'Connor sent to the line early enough and it was still a real struggle for Galway.

Awful injury for Parsons. Wish him well in his recovery.

Mayo4Sam14

You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: larryin89 on May 14, 2018, 08:59:30 AM
Diarmuid was devastated,  he genuinely didn't mean it like it's been seen. I'm not saying it wasn't a red , im just saying how he personally felt shit for his actions and it wasn't intended like it looked.

Ah here, couldn't have made it any more intentional if he tried?
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

AZOffaly

Quote from: highorlow on May 14, 2018, 10:00:36 AM
QuoteAs someone who lost a few teeth (while wearing a gumshield I might add) to a similar incident

Ah here, that's not on.

Taylor

So you dont agree with what he says on certain threads and you come back with that.
Ridiculous

seafoid

Quote from: lurganblue on May 14, 2018, 10:04:27 AM
Quote from: Syferus on May 14, 2018, 01:02:43 AM
The match would have been dusted far earlier if Walsh knew how to utilise Comer effectively. Barrett was totally out-matched.

Thought Barrett did a great job on Comer in the 2nd half.

Overall i was disappointed in Galway. No Cillian O'Connor (from the start) and no Keagan.  D O'Connor sent to the line early enough and it was still a real struggle for Galway.

Awful injury for Parsons. Wish him well in his recovery.
Beating Mayo in Cashelbar is like killing a badger.

Maroon Manc

Don't know why anyone as surprised at yesterday's game, was always going to be like that.

Galway didn't play well but its all about the result and nothing else matters. The bench as I'd hoped made a difference; Brannigan, Ian Burke & Sean Kelly all had great cameo's. Duggan continues to impress and once again Galway stopped Mayo from creating a goal chance.

Poor Tom Parsons, thats a shocking injury. As for Mayo I was very surprised to see Hanley & James Durcan come on to make their championship debuts at such a crucial time in the game, why wasn't Durcan given game time in the league?

Taylor

If Walsh told Comer to go out the field in the first half then you would have to seriously question him.

Even though they were playing a putrid style Comer was an outlet up front and causing plenty of problems for Barrett.
Once he went out the field that threat was completely gone.

Barrett got to grips with him second half but that was more to do with Galway playing no direct ball in and trying to run through Mayo with intricate passing.

Mayo will still make the super 8's but they would need to have their players fresh for those games rather than coming in like the walking wounded.

Jinxy

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on May 14, 2018, 10:08:50 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on May 14, 2018, 08:59:30 AM
Diarmuid was devastated,  he genuinely didn't mean it like it's been seen. I'm not saying it wasn't a red , im just saying how he personally felt shit for his actions and it wasn't intended like it looked.

Ah here, couldn't have made it any more intentional if he tried?

DOC is a bit like the brother in that he has a tendency to flail his limbs about in contact, which I suppose is designed to 'discourage' tacklers.
He does this thing where he tries to spin out of the tackle as it's arriving, which you can see he was starting to do before he threw up the elbow.
If you're in possession, you'll get the benefit of the doubt most of the time, unless the contact is very obvious (as it was yesterday).
If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 14, 2018, 10:39:40 AM
Don't know why anyone as surprised at yesterday's game, was always going to be like that.

Galway didn't play well but its all about the result and nothing else matters. The bench as I'd hoped made a difference; Brannigan, Ian Burke & Sean Kelly all had great cameo's. Duggan continues to impress and once again Galway stopped Mayo from creating a goal chance.

Poor Tom Parsons, thats a shocking injury. As for Mayo I was very surprised to see Hanley & James Durcan come on to make their championship debuts at such a crucial time in the game, why wasn't Durcan given game time in the league?
Last year's Under 21 team has provided a good selection of options  between Cooke, Kelly, Daly, O Ceallaigh, Molloy etc. The panel this year has improved.

magpie seanie

Classy. Well done.

Farrandeelin

Come on, that's beyond the pale as they say. I know seanie doesn't like us but that's way too much.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.