Mayo v Galway, MacHale Park, Sunday 13th May 4pm

Started by From the Bunker, April 01, 2018, 08:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Aye the injuries are a worry especially Brannigan and Kerin who have both become very important players.

I'm a little bit more relaxed about this years game as think Galway are far better equipped to come through the qualifiers should they need too.

SeanInKerry

Will there be  a SUDDEN DEATH penalty shootout if Mayo and Galway Draw in normal time and Draw in extra time ? The GAA have done away with REPLAYS except for Provincial Finals and All Ireland Finals

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/ireland-finals-played-august-no-9914693

There MUST be a WINNER OUTRIGHT on Sunday, no replay for Tuam this year

Blowitupref

Quote from: SeanInKerry on May 08, 2018, 12:55:54 PM
Will there be  a SUDDEN DEATH penalty shootout if Mayo and Galway Draw in normal time and Draw in extra time ? The GAA have done away with REPLAYS except for Provincial Finals and All Ireland Finals

45s not penalties and it's a long time since Galway played a senior championship game in Tuam.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

In 2016 in the rugby Connacht won the Pro 12 having never won anything before.
In 2017 Galway won the hurling after 29 years.
Surely Mayo can do it this year.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Captain Obvious

Galway are the second best team in the country right now' - Stephen Rochford. The Mayo manager not the best at mind games it seems...

Rossfan

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 08, 2018, 01:05:38 PM
Quote from: SeanInKerry on May 08, 2018, 12:55:54 PM

45s not penalties and it's a long time since Galway played a senior championship game in Tuam.
Last Sunday we all heard that if NY/Laythrum finished level after extra time it was all off to Páirc Sheáin for a replay next Saturday.
So does the free taking not apply to Senior IC Championship
Or
Does JP make his own rules? 
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

SeanInKerry

Irish Daily Mirror has confirmed 45s will be taken if Mayo and Galway cannot be separated after normal time and extra time https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/ireland-finals-played-august-no-9914693

Laoiseabu

Could someone tell me cause I wouldn't know , how come there dosent seem to be many youngsters coming into the Mayo team the last couple of years , it seems to be the same names ? Also why haven't Mayo been producing decent minor teams lately either .?Seems to be a Galway underage takeover . Just thought I'd like to know a bit more on what's going on up there? Thanks

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Laoiseabu on May 08, 2018, 03:35:04 PM
Could someone tell me cause I wouldn't know , how come there dosent seem to be many youngsters coming into the Mayo team the last couple of years , it seems to be the same names ? Also why haven't Mayo been producing decent minor teams lately either .?Seems to be a Galway underage takeover . Just thought I'd like to know a bit more on what's going on up there? Thanks

Haven't the players coming through. Whether or not that's the fault of the underage structures/coaching in the county I am not sure. But there is a Galway underage takeover definitely.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rosnarun

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 08, 2018, 11:29:46 PM

Haven't the players coming through. Whether or not that's the fault of the underage structures/coaching in the county I am not sure. But there is a Galway underage takeover definitely.

theres also the point of who are you going to drop.
many of the mayo jeseys are painted on.
Mayo will probably have 2 new starters this year which I think is a healthy enough turnover .
the likes of
Clarke barrett Higgins boyle keegan Harrison oshea x 2 oconnor x 2 andy, Doherty  tom parsons , McLaughlin  are almost always going to start all things being equal , to genuinely break into that team you really have something to prove
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

seafoid

Quote from: rosnarun on May 09, 2018, 12:23:23 PM

Mayo will probably have 2 new starters this year which I think is a healthy enough turnover .
the likes of
Clarke barrett Higgins boyle keegan Harrison oshea x 2 oconnor x 2 andy, Doherty  tom parsons , McLaughlin  are almost always going to start all things being equal , to genuinely break into that team you really have something to prove
Not so much in the forwards. A genuine goalpoacher would walk onto the team as would someone who can kick points off either foot.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

An Fhairche Abu

Surely there is a massive chance for someone else up front to have a statement game and give Rochford a selection headache moving forward if COC isn't fit to start on Sunday?

Cunny Funt

Quote from: rosnarun on May 09, 2018, 12:23:23 PM

the likes of

If Mayo keep more or less the same starting team again the average age of that team this summer will be 29 and 7 starters will be in their 30s. Those players will also have more combined championship appearances between them than any other team.

The established players will eventually have to step aside because of their age and miles on the clock and where Mayo are in the years ahead will be decided by how good their replacements will be as they will have massive boots to fill.

bucko

It'll be interesting to see what our back six will be Sunday. With Keegan out and assuming Barrett, Harrison and Vaughan have proven their fitness, picking 6 from those three and Higgins, Boyle, P Durcan, O'Donaghue, Coen and Crowe will be a head scratcher.

mouview

Quote from: bucko on May 09, 2018, 02:58:58 PM
It'll be interesting to see what our back six will be Sunday. With Keegan out and assuming Barrett, Harrison and Vaughan have proven their fitness, picking 6 from those three and Higgins, Boyle, P Durcan, O'Donaghue, Coen and Crowe will be a head scratcher.

It could be just as interesting to see whose Galway will be. Injury doubts about the 2 corner backs could destabilise what has arguably been Galway's best line this year; the HB that played v Dublin was in truth only middling and will be exposed I feel now that the ground is harder and the ball moving quicker.