All Ireland Fleadh 2013 Doire

Started by Dougal Maguire, August 11, 2013, 12:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

Despite the reservations I expressed previously I'm off today to Doire for the unique experience of a the first ever All Ireland Fleadh in the occupied 6. Tullamore and Cavan brought it to a new level over the past 6 years and hopefully Doire can continue the trend.
Careful now

lawnseed

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on August 11, 2013, 12:41:12 PM
Despite the reservations I expressed previously I'm off today to Doire for the unique experience of a the first ever All Ireland Fleadh in the occupied 6. Tullamore and Cavan brought it to a new level over the past 6 years and hopefully Doire can continue the trend.
I hope you have got reservations if you plan to stay over 8)
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

OakleafCounty

We went in to see the opening yesterday and couldn't get over the sheer number of people. I don't think I've ever seen a crowd like that in the city centre.

After today I'm off for the week so hopefully it will be good!

J OGorman

Quote from: OakleafCounty on August 12, 2013, 08:29:32 AM
We went in to see the opening yesterday and couldn't get over the sheer number of people. I don't think I've ever seen a crowd like that in the city centre.

After today I'm off for the week so hopefully it will be good!

huge numbers. Should be a great week for the town. The weans love the craic and music. Hope the weather holds up

OakleafCounty

Took a walk around there at lunch time. Seems to be plenty of tourists and a nice atmosphere. Hope the weather picks up for them though.

HiMucker

Will it be as big a success as Orange Fest?  Hard to say at the moment

Dougal Maguire

Plenty of people about but not a pile of trad music sessions in pubs. A lot of pubs appear to have booked bands which displays lack of knowledge of how a Fleadh works. Also a lot of them have put the price of drink up which is not the welcome we were all promised when Derry won the bid to hold the Fleadh last year
Careful now

theticklemister

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on August 15, 2013, 10:20:58 AM
Plenty of people about but not a pile of trad music sessions in pubs. A lot of pubs appear to have booked bands which displays lack of knowledge of how a Fleadh works. Also a lot of them have put the price of drink up which is not the welcome we were all promised when Derry won the bid to hold the Fleadh last year

We have our weekly traditional session which will take place tonight in the Derby Bar not far from culturlann from 9.30 if ye want a proper bit of trad music.

orangeman

How much is the budget for this Fleadh ? Or for the UK city of culture ? It must be huge.

The Gs Man

£12.6m from DCAL for the cultural programme. Some of it going towards Fleadh, who will also have secured sponsorship and funding from other sources.

Money well spent.
Keep 'er lit

orangeman

Quote from: The Gs Man on August 16, 2013, 11:42:08 PM
£12.6m from DCAL for the cultural programme. Some of it going towards Fleadh, who will also have secured sponsorship and funding from other sources.

Money well spent.

That's real coin.

How much is the alcohol budget ? Looks like there's a lot of pints being downed.

theticklemister

Quote from: orangeman on August 17, 2013, 12:44:21 AM
Quote from: The Gs Man on August 16, 2013, 11:42:08 PM

Money well spent.

That's real coin.

How much is the alcohol budget ? Looks like there's a lot of pints being downed.

Usually the town or whoever is hosting the fleadh needs to gather 90,000 quid from interested parties within the town to give to the fleadh organisers to cover costs and such and then they make it back from the week's profits be it renting of accomodation/hotels/B+Bs/Beer/food whatever. Due to the massive amount of money which has befell Derry from the UK city of Culture award then this 90,000 offset was never an issue.

These big bands have come in their droves to Derry this week, this has never happened any fleadh before because of this money that is being offered. Hope to God these bands don't think this is going to happen every year as the money is just not accessible to any other town in any other period of time.

When fleadh beo is on tnag at night times the cameras are set on bands in two different venues. The fleadh is about the impromptu street session; this is what makes the fleadh what it is not these big bands. I haven't been to it yet but a few of my friends from everywhere is descending to the town tonight and I would like to meet them.

The basic fact is that if Derry had not become the UK city of culture then the fleadh would not be in the town. It is a fact that the comhaltas i gcontae nDoire decided not to apply for this award due to the UK title, however 4 'new' comhaltas branches sprung up in Derry City just before the applications had to be decided. Therefore these 'new' groups swung the balance and the application for Derry went through. Then due to political power the town got awarded the fleadh. It is rotten from the top down. If the comhaltas i nDoire had to apply for it and got the award through its own merits then that would be a fleadh to be proud of. I wouldn't be seen for a week as I would have been up that town with bodhran and whistle in hand!!!!!

qubdub

Obviously a token gesture. The whole city of culture concept is about getting people into cities to spend money, under the guise of culture.

Friendlyfire

I've been at the Fleadh on 3 days so far will also spend most of today there - great buzz about and the weather has been very kind.Great wee sessions in the tent at the Bentley some great characters about Very hi vis police presence.

Obviously missing the Screen and Balluba true gaels, as opposed to the rest of the country who are obviously mild breezes.

Adh mor!

orangeman

Politics getting in the way in Northern Ireland and decisions being manipulated to ensure that the "right" decisions are made and money bring thrown at something to try and present a united front.

What a shocker.