NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Would you feel the same but for your own county's record in shootouts?

Season too compressed - the league is fine to decide on penalties tbh. Although some here may have complained if the opposite outcome  ;D

Armagh18

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 03, 2024, 09:34:57 AMWould you feel the same but for your own county's record in shootouts?

Season too compressed - the league is fine to decide on penalties tbh. Although some here may have complained if the opposite outcome  ;D
To be I can can remember standing on the Hill in 2022 at full time saying neither team deserved to lose that game on penalties whichever way it went.

Season should be pushed back a bit anyway, club championships didn't start in Armagh til well into August last year and I assume most counties the same.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 03, 2024, 09:48:25 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 03, 2024, 09:34:57 AMWould you feel the same but for your own county's record in shootouts?

To be I can can remember standing on the Hill in 2022 at full time saying neither team deserved to lose that game on penalties whichever way it went.

Season should be pushed back a bit anyway, club championships didn't start in Armagh til well into August last year and I assume most counties the same.

Draw up a calendar and show me how it fits in? This logic of push it back and assuming?? There are people that have looked at this as their job with regards to fixing dates to suit every aspect of our sports, not just Armagh's abysmal effort at not wining games in normal time/extra time and ability in penalty shootouts 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Truthsayer

They killed the golden goose with too many games in too short a time. Rem 2005 Tyrone replay against Down in the Marshes great game especially if you were a Down supporter! 2003 brilliant Ulster final went to a replay, Dublin-Meath epic 4 games in '91. Penalties are an aberration on Gaelic games, apeing soccer. People went to the replays.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Truthsayer on April 03, 2024, 10:28:03 AMThey killed the golden goose with too many games in too short a time. Rem 2005 Tyrone replay against Down in the Marshes great game especially if you were a Down supporter! 2003 brilliant Ulster final went to a replay, Dublin-Meath epic 4 games in '91. Penalties are an aberration on Gaelic games, apeing soccer. People went to the replays.

You know we have penalties in GAA?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Taylor

I dont get people saying GAA is copying soccer.
You would think we are bringing something completely foreign in to finish a game.

Penalties is a skill of the game so why not use this skill to decide a winner?

Other alternative would be shooting from say 30 yards out but again that is down to carrying out a skill of the game.

Truthsayer

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 03, 2024, 10:34:33 AM
Quote from: Truthsayer on April 03, 2024, 10:28:03 AMThey killed the golden goose with too many games in too short a time. Rem 2005 Tyrone replay against Down in the Marshes great game especially if you were a Down supporter! 2003 brilliant Ulster final went to a replay, Dublin-Meath epic 4 games in '91. Penalties are an aberration on Gaelic games, apeing soccer. People went to the replays.

I'm talking bout penalty shoot-outs, but you know that.

Truthsayer

Quote from: Taylor on April 03, 2024, 10:41:09 AMI dont get people saying GAA is copying soccer.
You would think we are bringing something completely foreign in to finish a game.

Penalties is a skill of the game so why not use this skill to decide a winner?

Other alternative would be shooting from say 30 yards out but again that is down to carrying out a skill of the game.
Aye I don't like them in soccer either! Also used to have replays...

screenexile

The 45s thing is balls... everyone can hit a penalty but who wants to watch 7 lads miss 45 with varying degrees of terrible kicks?

I don't care much for penatlies but there is no other option. When you talk about "add another week" then you have to do that for the NFL, all 4 provinces and the All Ireland final so that's potentially an extra 6 weeks!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Truthsayer on April 03, 2024, 10:41:59 AM

I'm talking bout penalty shoot-outs, but you know that.

But its ok to 'ape' soccer in having penalties but not the shoot outs?

Not making any sense, replays are not able to fit in unless we go back to the days when you had one bite at the cherry, those days are gone now.

Keyser soze

Some of the best memories of playing were championship replays I was involved in, something special about them. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Keyser soze on April 03, 2024, 11:05:54 AMSome of the best memories of playing were championship replays I was involved in, something special about them. 

Yes they are great, remember being manager in one game and the momentum had switched and had the game went to extra time, (clubs finals went to replay no extra time) they would have beaten us!  at club level I was involved in a third replay. I was the ref and the tension between both teams going into the game was intense, resulting in me heading to both camps during the week to 'chat' about the game, but it did end up extending the championship, meaning teams were going week on week to the final and straight in to Ulster club, no rests.

So while you're in the throws of the excitement of it, the wake of delayed games off the back of it have ripple effects further down the road

Get her

yellowcard

And yellow and red cards which also came from soccer. Abolish those too and lets go back to booking players, we can't be seen to be copying the soccer.

Truthsayer

Quote from: yellowcard on April 03, 2024, 11:16:36 AM

And yellow and red cards which also came from soccer. Abolish those too and lets go back to booking players, we can't be seen to be copying the soccer.
Ok we'll agree to disagree. I think penalty shoot-outs are awful whatever sport. Others are ok with them. So be...

tonto1888

for those wanting replays - and believe me there have been times int he last 2 years I wanted replays haha - what do you do if its a draw at the end of the replay? Another one? Toss a coin?