Mayo v Tyrone Sunday 8th February 2015

Started by Redhand Santa, February 02, 2015, 10:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhand Santa

Right it's time to stop depressing ourselves over the Monaghan game and move on. If the players have any sense of pride in the jersey they'll come out with a reaction in this one. Like I'd rather see us lose 5 4 with 8 men sent off and a game marred by ugly scenes than what happened last week. If I had the choice I'd prefer a nice high scoring victory though.

League football can be funny sometimes and you can never read too much into it but the nature of our performance was very worrying, After losing a game they were expected to win to go to Mayo and win a game they are most definitely expected to lose would get us right back on track. After last week it's hard to see it happening but I guess you never know.

We need to start competing for dirty ball around the middle. To me it's been our biggest downfall in recent years. We've continually played with half forward lines with no ball winners. We seem to spend to long in training working on smart Morgan kick outs at the expense of going for hard ball. When a team pushes up on us we then can't get a ball in the middle. We also for some reason never push up on the opposition so our constantly under pressure from their kickouts.

We really need justy and Harte back for this one. We really can't afford to miss anyone at the minute. We need to try to address the half forward issues. I'd take a chance on the following:
Morgan
Mcrory
Mcnamee
Mcccarron
Brennan
Mcnabb
McMahon
Colm c
Conall McCann
Harte
Donnelly
McShane
Mccurry
Cavanagh
Mckenna

Mcahane is a chance but he looked athletic in the mckenna cup and that's what we badly need there. McNulty had a poor game the last day and might be better deployed from the bench in this one.

rrhf

sean needs to stay in.. and the guys need to put the ball in quick.  Does Harte do this. 

moysider

Lost this tie the last 2 years so we owe Tyrone one >:(

Seriously though our home record improved last year - but it had to after losing our first two games away. Still you never know but the new management would not want to go losing their first home match.

The Mayo selection will be interesting. We re bouncing with wing- backs and half forward line is beginning to take shape too. It s a as well to persist with Vaughan at mf and there are decisions to be made as well in ff line.

Maybe something like;

Clarke
Barrett
Keane
Higgins
Keegan
Coen
Durcan
Vaughan
Seamie
McLoughlin
Aido
Doc
Cillian
Freeman
Conroy/Ronaldson

Aaron Boone

1/2 Mayo to win at PP.
Given the weekend's results, that is a standout.

orangeman

Quote from: Aaron Boone on February 02, 2015, 11:20:30 PM
1/2 Mayo to win at PP.

Not many sure things in football.

rrhf

Love this trip.  This year it might be weather permitting. 
A competitive performance would be about the height of the ambition though. 

seafoid

1/2 Mayo to win at PP.

The prices are very tight- no real form after one match

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/gaa-sports
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: seafoid on February 03, 2015, 09:11:03 AM
1/2 Mayo to win at PP.

The prices are very tight- no real form after one match

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/gaa-sports

I'd save my money for a new set of floodlights to be honest
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

BennyHarp

Tyrone to bounce back and win this by 2. We can't be as bad as were last weekend. Last year we bounced back from the carnage in Killarney to post 3 decent performances to finish of the league campaign, stuffing an admittedly woeful Westmeath, drawing in Cork and going down narrowly to the Dubs. Hopefully we have had our wake up call early on in this years campaign.

My team,
Morgan
McRory
McNamee
McCarron
McNabb
Justy
Harte
C Cav
McNulty (I'm persisting with him as I do feel he may be our best option long term and this game will tell us a lot about him at this level)
Matty Donnelly
McShane (Still early days - but I agree with RedHand Santa throw him in and see if he can cut it, he will add enthusiasm and desire at least)
Niall McKenna
McCurry
Cavanagh
McAliskey

Or maybe we will get tanked by 20 points?
That was never a square ball!!

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 03, 2015, 12:41:55 PM
Tyrone to bounce back and win this by 2. We can't be as bad as were last weekend. Last year we bounced back from the carnage in Killarney to post 3 decent performances to finish of the league campaign, stuffing an admittedly woeful Westmeath, drawing in Cork and going down narrowly to the Dubs. Hopefully we have had our wake up call early on in this years campaign.

My team,
Morgan
McRory
McNamee
McCarron
McNabb
Justy
Harte
C Cav
McNulty (I'm persisting with him as I do feel he may be our best option long term and this game will tell us a lot about him at this level)
Matty Donnelly
McShane (Still early days - but I agree with RedHand Santa throw him in and see if he can cut it, he will add enthusiasm and desire at least)
Niall McKenna
McCurry
Cavanagh
McAliskey

Or maybe we will get tanked by 20 points?

admire your optimism BennyHarp but have to say that we lucked out on the NFL campaign last year and if you take into account the Monaghan and Armagh games in the championship its as poor a year as we have had, using 39 players????...last saturday night sees us continue in the same form....all I see is a bunch of players and not a cohesive unit...that always takes time for sure but Id be up for change at this point
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

twohands!!!

1/2 Mayo to win at PP.

Wouldnt go near it.

Still expect Mayo to win but no-way do I think that's good value.

Tyrone has issues with their 3 most important players concussion, red card and black card. Tyrone might also have Peter Harte back who is a vitally important player for them. Also I could see a Tyrone backlash after the week they have had, where I can see the Mayo lads being a wee bit complacent after getting the win away in Kerry.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: twohands!!! on February 03, 2015, 06:02:29 PM
1/2 Mayo to win at PP.

Wouldnt go near it.

Still expect Mayo to win but no-way do I think that's good value.

Tyrone has issues with their 3 most important players concussion, red card and black card. Tyrone might also have Peter Harte back who is a vitally important player for them. Also I could see a Tyrone backlash after the week they have had, where I can see the Mayo lads being a wee bit complacent after getting the win away in Kerry.

Don't know much about the troubles in Tyrone to be honest, but they usually do us in the league. I'm sure they'll be well fired up like BennyHarp said and they will try to out-do us again.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rrhf

Mayo are gonna be hard to stop for an all Ireland this year.

Over the Bar

Quote from: rrhf on February 03, 2015, 09:57:26 PM

Aye but the ladies AI isn't as prestigious as it used to be.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Over the Bar on February 03, 2015, 10:16:12 PM
Quote from: rrhf on February 03, 2015, 09:57:26 PM

Aye but the ladies AI isn't as prestigious as it used to be.

And you OtB clearly have as much info in the troubles in the Mayo ladies camp as I have in Tyrone's men's.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.