The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: borderfox on July 27, 2011, 12:55:03 PM
Davis is so boring and usually steers clear of criticizing any team no matter how bad they have been. Hes the Gary Lineker of the GAA world utterly boring with no edge whatsoever to his 'punditry'. Davis and Martin Carney are easily the worst pundits/ commentators in the country. Even Mark Sidebottom is better than these two.
At least Brolly has the balls to say something controversial and can usually back it up.

Lineker is a presenter (not an analyst), presenters usually sit on a fence.

Louth Exile

Quote from: sheamy on July 27, 2011, 11:50:15 AM
His central point seemed to be that Cork's defenders couldn't also play as attackers - a fact which Davis was proud of and stated 'in his day he wasn't allowed to cross the half way line' blah blah. He seems to have the same warped view of history as Spillourke as I remember Davis clearly opening the scoring in the '93 final with a superb point from 40 yards.

Correct and right  :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL5dJsWeqkI

Looking back at the 93 final, I can see where Brolly might be getting the basis for his philosophy that your midfield and half backs should be contributing to the attack and its not necessarily from the "modern game". The Derry midfield both scored from play, Henry Downey scored, Gary Coleman got forward to hit the post and Johnny Mc Guirk scored off both feet, including that famous one off the left peg at the end. That's numbers 5-9 contributing five points from play in an AI final, while Brolly only scored one himself!!
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

sheamy

Quote from: Louth Exile on July 27, 2011, 03:23:07 PM
Quote from: sheamy on July 27, 2011, 11:50:15 AM
His central point seemed to be that Cork's defenders couldn't also play as attackers - a fact which Davis was proud of and stated 'in his day he wasn't allowed to cross the half way line' blah blah. He seems to have the same warped view of history as Spillourke as I remember Davis clearly opening the scoring in the '93 final with a superb point from 40 yards.

Correct and right  :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL5dJsWeqkI

Looking back at the 93 final, I can see where Brolly might be getting the basis for his philosophy that your midfield and half backs should be contributing to the attack and its not necessarily from the "modern game". The Derry midfield both scored from play, Henry Downey scored, Gary Coleman got forward to hit the post and Johnny Mc Guirk scored off both feet, including that famous one off the left peg at the end. That's numbers 5-9 contributing five points from play in an AI final, while Brolly only scored one himself!!

Also note there that as well as half backs all attacking (like the ones you mention), many half forwards were defending (dermot heaney for derry, barry coffey and don davis for cork etc) and that was only 1 min of footage that I looked at.

There's alot of shite talked these days about systems and stuff. I think the only thing that really changed was that teams now systematically channel players back and get closer to their full back lines i.e. blanket defence.

This clip shows that nearly 20 years ago forwards defended and defenders attacked. It also highlights just how much utter crap the likes of Davis, Spillane and O'Rourke (Spillourke for short as they blend into one sometimes) spout on tv. Spillane used to pick the ball up on his own 20 yard line more often than not. RTE should have a cull of these clowns.

Brolly should watch this himself to see the facts you correctly point out. I think he believes Tyrone and Armagh invented the game of gaelic football in the noughties.

mckieran

Is there anywhere to watch the Brolly/Davis spat?

AFS

Quote from: mckieran on July 27, 2011, 06:32:20 PM

www.rte.ie/player/

muppet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYyE4RhUQdw

Watch the first minute of this and watch defenders who attacked. The first score is set up by Cork full back Mark O'Conner the second scored by Mayo CHB James Nallen.
MWWSI 2017

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Armaghgael on July 26, 2011, 04:32:12 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 26, 2011, 04:29:24 PM
Some posters probably don't know the story of what happened Davis that week imho he deserves great credit for even lining out.

I wouldn't have been there if it were me.

What is it?

nobody gonna say what this was? a pm will do rightly

gerry

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Louth Exile

Quote from: Denn Forever on July 27, 2011, 06:50:58 PM
Quote from: AFS on July 27, 2011, 06:44:58 PM
Quote from: mckieran on July 27, 2011, 06:32:20 PM

www.rte.ie/player/

About an hour in.

I watched again on Monday, Ithink its about 1.27 in, just after wee James
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Chris agus Snoop

Quote from: sheamy on July 27, 2011, 10:24:05 AM
Quote from: Chris agus Snoop on July 27, 2011, 09:45:28 AM
Brolly being the talented QC that he is, outmanuevered the hapless Davis,
he said the article was taken out of context but the original article in gaelic life was far more insulting than the extracts on the examiner.
Davis failed to call him on it.
Brolly also wants to be an honourary kerry man his sycophancy towards them is cringe worthy.
And Cork half backs scored more than kerry HBs in the last 2 years.

What's insulting? Please detail these grevious insults.

If you call a man a c**t it might be insulting. Calling a system of play 'primative' is hardly insulting. His basis thesis is that if Cork adopted a more 'modern' system of play which didn't rely so heavily on the two guys on the inside line, they'd be near unbeatable. The fact that they win playing what Brolly terms 'primative' football where they 'bore' their way through teams should be taken as a complement as to how good they could be. His basic point is that Cork are winning despite themselves. He said that they beat a mediocre Down team by a point, and that's a fact.

As usual people just latch onto any word like 'primative' and run away making their own stories up. I'm not fan of Brolly as a pundit but he is correct in this case (imo). Anyone taking offence needs to step back and think about what he said and wrote. Don't also forget that he will embelish the words for dramatic effect. If he said 'traditional' instead of 'primative' would the offence be as great? It's also his own objective view which he is paid to present. Noone should take it too seriously, amateur or not.

Did you read the original article or not? If you you did you would see that the whole thing was in a mocking insulting tone, there was nothing constructive
in it. Read it and see.
Brolly was in a debate with Donal og Cusack about the GPA in the cork opera house a few months ago by all accounts Donal ran rings around him, Brolly is all bluster no substance.

Chris agus Snoop

Quote from: Bogball XV on July 27, 2011, 10:35:23 AM
he said the article was taken out of context but the original article in gaelic life was far more insulting than the extracts on the examiner.
Brolly also wants to be an honourary kerry man his sycophancy towards them is cringe worthy.
is that made up or can you back it up - I honestly don't know, it's just that since pauld kindly provided some stats on Cork half back scoring, i'd like to see figures from now on.
League and championship separate of course and number of games played will also be essential.

http://eircomsports.eircom.net/News/Stats-that-July-28.aspx

blewuporstuffed

those stats are incorrect aswell as tyrone scored 1-02 from their defence against armagh, not 1-01
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

sheamy

Quote from: Chris agus Snoop on July 29, 2011, 11:00:46 AM
Quote from: sheamy on July 27, 2011, 10:24:05 AM

What's insulting? Please detail these grevious insults.

If you call a man a c**t it might be insulting. Calling a system of play 'primative' is hardly insulting. His basis thesis is that if Cork adopted a more 'modern' system of play which didn't rely so heavily on the two guys on the inside line, they'd be near unbeatable. The fact that they win playing what Brolly terms 'primative' football where they 'bore' their way through teams should be taken as a complement as to how good they could be. His basic point is that Cork are winning despite themselves. He said that they beat a mediocre Down team by a point, and that's a fact.

As usual people just latch onto any word like 'primative' and run away making their own stories up. I'm not fan of Brolly as a pundit but he is correct in this case (imo). Anyone taking offence needs to step back and think about what he said and wrote. Don't also forget that he will embelish the words for dramatic effect. If he said 'traditional' instead of 'primative' would the offence be as great? It's also his own objective view which he is paid to present. Noone should take it too seriously, amateur or not.

Did you read the original article or not? If you you did you would see that the whole thing was in a mocking insulting tone, there was nothing constructive
in it. Read it and see.
Brolly was in a debate with Donal og Cusack about the GPA in the cork opera house a few months ago by all accounts Donal ran rings around him, Brolly is all bluster no substance.

Yes, I did read it and is why I said "Don't also forget that he will embelish the words for dramatic effect". My post was attempting to explain what I thought was the rationale behind what he was saying from a football point of view. He is a media figure and will use language to wind people up. Part of the terriority. It's also an objective opinion and not to be taken seriously. It's opinion, not fact. Anyone taking grave offence at that needs to grow up. Glad Donal Og got his way. There would probably have been some class of a strike had he not.