The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: cogito on June 04, 2012, 10:45:11 AM
RTE need to make it an important goal to uncover a Gary Neville sort of expert to revitalize their panel if you ask me. I watched the Longford and Wex game and was annoyed at the coverage. Pat was a miserable old git who had an agenda set beforehand.

They had, or have one.... Dara Ó Cinnéide... yet they never seem to have him on during the day.
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: cogito on June 04, 2012, 11:13:50 AM
That process of freezing the screen when a team has 10 or 11 bodies back makes me want to break my tele. It's so lazy. Every analyse of a game is basically the same and I for one have had it.

10 or 11 isn't too bad. goalie, 6 backs, 2 midfielders and a couple of half forwards...

Its when its 13 or 14 men back that I get pissed!
i usse an speelchekor

Jinxy

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 04, 2012, 12:02:10 PM
Brolly and Spillane do talk a lot of crap for the sake of it but I have to agree with them on the Longford v Wexford game. It was total shite from start to finish. Donegal have shown teams the way to play now packing everyone back in their own halves. I said last year the GAA need to take steps to stop this crap becoming the norm for GAA matches and now we will all see how it will pan out with more and more teams doing the same. It will turn the likes of me off bothering  to watch a game on TV where my own county is not involved. If entertainment levels go down, viewership will go down and money into the GAA will go down which is bad for every county.

If you had watched that exact same game only it was played in Pearse Park Myles do you think your opinion would be any different?
To be honest I think you could take the best 30 footballers in the country, stick them in an empty Croke Park, and they'd struggle to entertain TV viewers.
That's a separate issue though I suppose.
I thought there was some great scores kicked in difficult conditions yesterday.
And lets not forget that either, it was a truly horrible day and we were watching two division 3 teams.
Have there been many classic games between Longford and Wexford down through the years?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

yellowcard

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I am actually disappointed if either Brolly or Spillane aren't on the Sunday game. Its a bit like watching the soccer on RTE without Dunphy its just not the same, and very often the best entertainment is reserved for the analysis.

O'Cinneide and O'Rourke are good pundits but most of the rest of them aren't worth listening to. Davis and McStay are a joke neither entertaining nor insightful.

fearglasmor

Watched Offaly Wexford and Longford Wexford games on the box.

Liam Sheedy made a single reference to the standard of the fare and both him and Eddie Brennan proceeded to review the game on its own merits without referincing Kiklenny or Tipp.

In contrast all Spillane can offer is bile about how shite the standard is. If thats the attitude why would anyone ever bother broadcasting or watching games involving anyone outside the top 6 counties. I think Spillane has finally morphed into Victor Meldrew.

Canalman

Watch the Kevin Nolan point from last  year's AIF and count the number of Kerry lads the ball sailed over . Some amount of them back  defending and Lord help us if that had been a Kerry point scored against us, Tyrone, Donegal or Kildare for example

the Deel Rover

On sunday it seemed to me they got paid to talk about medicine balls and bollards. Pat spillane thought there were thousands of them bollards on the pitch, oh how times have changed sighed brolly he remembers training when they used to have to carry 4 inch blocks around the field nae a bother to big Brian but some wee lad couldn't carry them at all . Tis a pity big brian didn't drop 1 of the blocks on wee joe's head he would have done us all a huge favour.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Shamrock Shore

Spillane and Brolly are too fond of the quip. The 'smart one'.

FFS - I dunno about Wexford but did Spillane expect Longford to play like Brazil of 1970. We've come from a position of being third last in Div 4 three or so year ago (just ahead of London and Kilkenny) to a Div 2 spot and not mixing it with the second tier teams like Laois, Mayo etc. His comment on medicine balls and cones were daft and if this is analysis then fcuk me pink.

redcard

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 05, 2012, 06:17:34 PM

FFS - I dunno about Wexford but did Spillane expect Longford to play like Brazil of 1970. We've come from a position of being third last in Div 4 three or so year ago (just ahead of London and Kilkenny) to a Div 2 spot and not mixing it with the second tier teams like Laois, Mayo etc. His comment on medicine balls and cones were daft and if this is analysis then fcuk me pink.

Spillane wouldnt have looked out on place on last saturdays Late Late show and sober at that. Why dont you pen him a letter shamrock

NaomhBridAbú

"And its hard to regard Joe Brolly's attack on the Dromid man on last weeks Sunday Game as anything other than gratuitously silly attention seeking from a television troll who in commenting on the football championship generally adopts the attitude of an aristocrat forced to shake hands with a beggar."

from the Sunday Indo following Golum's comment on the Kerry Manager....best description of Brolly that I have ever heard...'...an aristocrat forced to shake hands with a beggar'

thats Brolly 100%....
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

From the Bunker

Last year, Spillane gave out about the way Wexford played against the Dublin! Saying they were too negative. But this was the only way they could stay with the Dubs. Louth played open football last week and see what happened to them.  Jez, I don't think alot of these guys know how hard it is for weaker counties to move to the next level and when they get to that level to stay there.

Go home ref

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 05, 2012, 09:53:38 PM

Last year, Spillane gave out about the way Wexford played against the Dublin! Saying they were too negative. But this was the only way they could stay with the Dubs. Louth played open football last week and see what happened to them.  Jez, I don't think alot of these guys know how hard it is for weaker counties to move to the next level and when they get to that level to stay there.

I know what a clown he wants teams to go out and play attacking football against teams that are far better than them and im sure if all lesser teams did this he would complain about uncompetitive matches

Farrandeelin

Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 05, 2012, 05:27:15 PM
On sunday it seemed to me they got paid to talk about medicine balls and bollards. Pat spillane thought there were thousands of them bollards on the pitch, oh how times have changed sighed brolly he remembers training when they used to have to carry 4 inch blocks around the field nae a bother to big Brian but some wee lad couldn't carry them at all . Tis a pity big brian didn't drop 1 of the blocks on wee joe's head he would have done us all a huge favour.

Haha, my own thoughts exactly!!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Hardy

Wall to wall negativity from the Nualas again today. The emphasis is on why Kerry lost, not why Cork won. Not a positive soundbite forthcoming in the whole analysis.

Zulu

How true Hardy!! It wasn't a game for the ages but there was plent positive things to talk about yet all they did was moan and shite talk about the hand pass. If I could afford a new flat screen TV I'd have put my foot through the current one.