Manager "Expenses"

Started by ck, December 16, 2014, 10:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ck

I have only ever coached at underage and college level and have never taken a penny anywhere but have I been elected onto our club committee this year and my first role is to get a senior manage for the club side and we have agreed a small-ish budget for same.

Can I please ask you all for an idea what clubs and counties are offering coaches and managers out there with regard to expenses. I have heard of everything from a euro a mile to €200 a session, but to be honest I haven't a clue what is reasonable and what is excessive. Can you all let me know what your clubs offer if you are privy to such info?

Last Man

Quote from: ck on December 16, 2014, 10:11:47 PM
I have only ever coached at underage and college level and have never taken a penny anywhere but have I been elected onto our club committee this year and my first role is to get a senior manage for the club side and we have agreed a small-ish budget for same.

Can I please ask you all for an idea what clubs and counties are offering coaches and managers out there with regard to expenses. I have heard of everything from a euro a mile to €200 a session, but to be honest I haven't a clue what is reasonable and what is excessive. Can you all let me know what your clubs offer if you are privy to such info?
This isn't what you want to hear but there is little evidence to suggest that paid mangers have any greater success than unpaid at club level. If your club is anything like ours I'm sure there's better ways of spending that money.

DuffleKing

First man i've heard of elected onto a club committee

ck

Quote from: Last Man on December 16, 2014, 11:15:06 PM
Quote from: ck on December 16, 2014, 10:11:47 PM

This isn't what you want to hear but there is little evidence to suggest that paid mangers have any greater success than unpaid at club level. If your club is anything like ours I'm sure there's better ways of spending that money.

Couldn't agree more. I'm actually anti payment of managers and am currently fighting that battle in my club atm, however I am simply keen to be more informed on this issue therefore am seeking opinion via this forum. All views and experiences welcome!

stiffler

The best managers are internal from experience.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

manfromdelmonte

save the money
spend it on the players - gear, team bonding, few guest coaches

orangeman

Very few inside men want the job of managing their own team and the few that do might not be wanted.

When these same people go to outside clubs they are given good expenses and the pool of inside men gets smaller and smaller.

DennistheMenace

Manager- £150 a week, trainer, £100 a week. These aren't expenses but a salary. Great gaels.

blewuporstuffed

from what i have heard, upwards of £70  session would be the norm at the minute.

There are still a few guys out there that are willing to manage an outside club for nothing or at least for minimum genuine mileage expenses, but unfortuneatly theya re few and far between.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Canalman

Very few people nowadays anyway can give the time or effort to look after a club's first team. Club players expect if not demand top drawer treatment/ training/ personalized training plans etc etc. Holding down a job now the priority for most people and as much as they would like they cannot commit to it.

Those clubs that have club members  willing and able to commit the time/ effort/ hassle/ sometimes abuse/ falling outs and emotional energy to looking after the first team should thank their lucky stars imo. Lots of clubs not so lucky.

If it is a matter of no one in the club being able to do the gig then the club have no option but to look elsewhere.

Wee Roddy

Quote from: Canalman on December 17, 2014, 10:11:59 AM
Very few people nowadays anyway can give the time or effort to look after a club's first team. Club players expect if not demand top drawer treatment/ training/ personalized training plans etc etc. Holding down a job now the priority for most people and as much as they would like they cannot commit to it.

Those clubs that have club members  willing and able to commit the time/ effort/ hassle/ sometimes abuse/ falling outs and emotional energy to looking after the first team should thank their lucky stars imo. Lots of clubs not so lucky.

If it is a matter of no one in the club being able to do the gig then the club have no option but to look elsewhere.
Never a truer word spoken. With so many players now having coaching qualifications they demand high standards. My own club got to the county final for this past 2 years and won the league but the senior players oussted the manager because of his training methods. Micko wouldnt last a craic with the current players expectations. Raymond Monroe would be a relatively modern coach/manager and he couldn't wait to get out of the game.

ck

Yee have hit the nail on the head lads. We have some interest from a few lads to manage the team for nothing but this is deemed as totally unacceptable by the players. The team captain came to our last meeting and said he and a few others would not be playing unless we got and paid for an outside man. he also had a wish list of who they wanted. The reality is if we stuck to our guns and went for a club man then we'd have no team. This is the way it has gone!

illdecide

Quote from: ck on December 17, 2014, 01:10:08 PM
Yee have hit the nail on the head lads. We have some interest from a few lads to manage the team for nothing but this is deemed as totally unacceptable by the players. The team captain came to our last meeting and said he and a few others would not be playing unless we got and paid for an outside man. he also had a wish list of who they wanted. The reality is if we stuck to our guns and went for a club man then we'd have no team. This is the way it has gone!

then you tell the players who are objecting to f**k off, u'll find it's only one r two really. The tail is wagging the dog at your club. the committee should appoint a manager they feel is capable and that should be the end of it...

As or payments the manager should receive his fuel for his travel and that's it...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

NAG1

Quote from: illdecide on December 17, 2014, 01:20:45 PM
Quote from: ck on December 17, 2014, 01:10:08 PM

then you tell the players who are objecting to f**k off, u'll find it's only one r two really. The tail is wagging the dog at your club. the committee should appoint a manager they feel is capable and that should be the end of it...

As or payments the manager should receive his fuel for his travel and that's it...

Cant help but agree with this!

The day that players start to dictate to the committee in a club is a bad day for that club. There is a serious gravy train going on for a select number of coaches in Ulster who just go from club to club getting a tidy sum from each. Are they helping the clubs by developing structures and leaving a legacy with the club? No is the simple answer they are looking out for number one and too the next club who will pay them their expenses.

pauly2

[/quote]

So basically what you are saying is - the manager who deals with:

.     setting up training for each night it takes place, making it interesting, enjoyable, functional and
      most of all geared towards the team play or system being adopted for the season
.     developing individual training plans for players in the gym
.     organising challenge games for the club before the season takes off
      dealing with internal issues within the team - egos, non availability for games because of       
      bulls**t reasons, players who train when it suits them, players who play against the weaker   
      teams only as they will shine and phonecalls about why i should be playing for the team and i
      have put in a mighty effort this season and i am not getting a chance etc etc
.     Organise a team weekend before the league/championship that is going to be effective for the
      competition ahead
.     No county players as they are starred and not available so you need to rejig the team for the
      games ahead and include younger players/older players with experience to fill the void left by   
      your best players.
.     travelling maybe up to 45 mins to get to the pitch, be there 30+ mins before the players to set
      up the session and have it ready,  train for 75 mins and travel home again   
      (almost a 3 1/2  hour window)
.     Dealing with a committee that have hired you to win the league and championship double -
      even though last year the team finished 6th and 10 points behind the winners of the
      competition.

This list is not exhaustive........

And this person should receive fuel for their travel - thats it.  Take your dinosaur suit off and come into the real world you idiot...