Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

one day

Paul Fallon is easily the best referee in the County

Mourne Rover

It's a pity that Burren v Kilcoo is only a quarter final and not the decider but it should be quite a game. Bryansford seem to have flopped against against Liatroim so it is difficult to see Dawson as a serious contender for the county post on the basis of his recent record at club level and with the u21s.

Line Ball

Quote from: Minus15 on September 05, 2015, 06:51:59 PM
I personally think Brendan is the best referee in the county
Good referee but the problem is that Brendan Rice thinks Brendan Rice is the best referee in the County/Country (delete as appropriate).  Paul Falloon is doing well whenever I have seen he but he can be slow to blow the whistle which is grand as he is generally the same for both teams. He is much better than many of the trigger happy men who blow for the most petty reasons making many inconsistent decisions.  We aren't exactly blessed with many top class men at present.

Quote from: Mourne Rover on September 06, 2015, 01:33:45 PM
It's a pity that Burren v Kilcoo is only a quarter final and not the decider but it should be quite a game. Bryansford seem to have flopped against against Liatroim so it is difficult to see Dawson as a serious contender for the county post on the basis of his recent record at club level and with the u21s.
This has to be one of the biggest shocks in a while.  There is no doubt that Bryansford have some serious talent at their disposal but there is just something lacking when it comes to big games.  Dawson's last three teams of Antrim, Down U.21's and Bryansford have all flopped and some would say that Burren also underachieved under him.  Would he be the man the county board will turn to is right Mourne Rover and I would imagine that the last few seasons would be taken into account.  The answer is probably no then.

redandblackareback

Some result for Liatroim was anyone at it??? hard to work out whats going wrong at Bryansford but no doubt its the end of the road for Dawson. Burren v Kilcoo will be a cracker as long as Kilcoo decide to field a team. Went to Newry last night for the double header second game was a stroll for the Town who were annihilated a few weeks back by the same Longstone team which is hard to believe, but I enjoyed the first game must admit was pleasantly surprised at Ballyholland, was expecting a dire defensive encounter but it was entertaining right to the end, Clonduff will feel hard done by but only themselves to blame, Barry O Hagan who was excellent all night committed a silly foul on the 45 line which the free then directly resulted in Ballyholland getting their winning goal.

super reds 99

Brendan rice is a good referee and Paul fallon is improving all the time neil cousins is a good referee you never come away from a game blaming him for a defeat our bad decisions doesn't get everything right but fair to both teams

super reds 99

County board meeting over fixtures dates venues and times sorted for this weekend's games sent out to clubs

thebar

Quote from: redandblackareback on September 06, 2015, 02:35:57 PM
Some result for Liatroim was anyone at it??? hard to work out whats going wrong at Bryansford but no doubt its the end of the road for Dawson. Burren v Kilcoo will be a cracker as long as Kilcoo decide to field a team. Went to Newry last night for the double header second game was a stroll for the Town who were annihilated a few weeks back by the same Longstone team which is hard to believe, but I enjoyed the first game must admit was pleasantly surprised at Ballyholland, was expecting a dire defensive encounter but it was entertaining right to the end, Clonduff will feel hard done by but only themselves to blame, Barry O Hagan who was excellent all night committed a silly foul on the 45 line which the free then directly resulted in Ballyholland getting their winning goal.

I was at it and have to say fair play to Liatroim who won on the day...as individuals probably 2-3 players max you could say would get on the Bryansford team yet collectively they beat what on paper looked a stronger team..Bryansford started brightly and where fairly well in control yet for all there control and playing with a decent breeze where only 5-6 pts up going into half time when Liatriom got a goal on the stroke of half time to being them back into it...the 1st point of the 2nd half went to the Ford but after that Liatroim hit a purple patch and totally outplayed the Ford for a 10-15 min period and then the teams matched each other to the end. Liatroim had big games from Liam Doyle, Pearse Og McCrickard and Colman Doyle who in the 2nd half when he was taken out into the middle along with Doyle gave Liatroim a foothold but to be fair the entire team done well. Bryansford on paper looked good but in reality look a very average team and have went back since McGrath had them. For me the team that lined out for Ford was far from the strongest team available to them on the day so responsibility most lie with Dawson and his backroom team. Cant see the Ford doing much with Dawson now but he's not the right man for Down either. Liatroim wont win the championship but could give the Bridge a game of it who they wont fear.

ApresMatch

Any word on fixtures, dates and venues for championship next weekend?

super reds 99

Red eye

Quote from: ApresMatch on September 06, 2015, 08:34:27 PM

Double header at Newry on Saturday - should be good evening's entertainment - CPN v Castlewellan and Burren v Kilcoo - hard to call but would take the Point and Kilcoo to come through. Ballyholland and Mayobridge to come through in other two. If so hope Mayobridge and Kilcoo kept apart in semis :)

PAULD123

Quote from: Red eye on September 06, 2015, 10:38:50 PM

Double header at Newry on Saturday - should be good evening's entertainment - CPN v Castlewellan and Burren v Kilcoo - hard to call but would take the Point and Kilcoo to come through. Ballyholland and Mayobridge to come through in other two. If so hope Mayobridge and Kilcoo kept apart in semis :)

Why would you take Kilcoo to beat Burren, when Burren have pretty much swept everyone aside this year so far? I know league and championship are very different but Burren look pretty impressive so far.

Mike Tyson

Quote from: PAULD123 on September 07, 2015, 09:51:02 AM

Why would you take Kilcoo to beat Burren, when Burren have pretty much swept everyone aside this year so far? I know league and championship are very different but Burren look pretty impressive so far.

I'd say probably based on the fact a 14 man kilcoo took them to extra time in the first round and only for a lucky goal by McKernan should have beat them.

I think this one will go to extra time again. Really have no idea who will win it. Burren maybe have a slight edge knowing they've already beat them

whitegoodman

If Burren play the traditional 6 on 6 like they did in the previous meeting they will be beaten, well beaten actually !!

rosskarr

Quote from: whitegoodman on September 07, 2015, 01:58:32 PM
If Burren play the traditional 6 on 6 like they did in the previous meeting they will be beaten, well beaten actually !!
I agree. Kilcoo's to lose and it ain't going to happen.

Red eye

Quote from: Mike Tyson on September 07, 2015, 09:55:34 AM
Quote from: PAULD123 on September 07, 2015, 09:51:02 AM

I'd say probably based on the fact a 14 man kilcoo took them to extra time in the first round and only for a lucky goal by McKernan should have beat them.

I think this one will go to extra time again. Really have no idea who will win it. Burren maybe have a slight edge knowing they've already beat them

My thoughts are that Burren and Kilcoo will put up a big battle - unlikely to stay at 15 against 15 for a full game - if Kilcoo can get a lead and can keep their discipline will be hard to beat. Both teams have quality players throughout their squads - just feel that the previous defeat will spur Kilcoo on. Don't think you could say Burren "swept Kilcoo aside" in 1st match 😀