Follow Meath Up To Carlow (Reprise)

Started by thejuice, May 28, 2012, 05:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agorm

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on June 11, 2012, 04:42:01 PM
Quote from: agorm on June 11, 2012, 02:20:13 PM
Meath ratings in the Indo have to be seen to be believed:
Meath -- D Gallagher 7; D Keogan 7, K Reilly 7, B Menton 7; D Tobin 7, S McAnarney 7, M Burke 7; C Gillespie 7, B Meade 7; A Forde 7, P Gilsenan 7, G Reilly 7; B Farrell 7, J Sheridan 7, C Ward 7. Subs: J Queeney 7 for A Forde (44); M Collins 7 for P Gilsenan (50).

Everyone on a 7!

How he can give Graham Reilly the same rating as McAnarney, Gillespie, Sheridan & Gallagher and still be considered a sports journalist beats me. I seriously doubt that the journalist in question atttended the game.

My ratings would be
Meath -- D Gallagher 5; D Keogan 6, K Reilly 8, B Menton 7; D Tobin 7, S McAnarney 5, M Burke 5; C Gillespie 4, B Meade 7; A Forde 5, P Gilsenan 6, G Reilly 8; B Farrell 7, J Sheridan 4, C Ward 7. Subs: J Queeney 7 for A Forde (44); M Collins 6 for P Gilsenan (50).

Looks like a production error to me. They would have dummy copy in there when they first lay out the page that should have been changed.

I initially thought a production error only Carlow had a range of scores. However he gave Paul Reid & Derek Hayden (the 2 guys sent off & Hayden was a sub) also a 7.

Also, the following is his description of the carlow goal.....
But somehow -- from the depths of their being -- Carlow dredged up one more assault on the Royals goal and in a glorious move, Nolan found substitute Keith Jackson with a precise pass, and he transferred it to Smith, who smashed the ball into the Meath net.

Even if Liam Kely had watched the Sunday Game highlights he could have seen that this was rubbish. It kinda makes you wonder what is the poin in getting a newspaper for reports on the matches at all.

Give and Go

Everything said about his report is true but no surprise. Many of the articles passing for analysis and reporting are woeful.

Shamrock Shore

Quotesomehow -- from the depths of their being -- Carlow dredged up one more assault on the Royals goal and in a glorious move, Nolan found substitute Keith Jackson with a precise pass, and he transferred it to Smith, who smashed the ball into the Meath net.

What a load of muck that is. A first year journalism student would be shot for writing that

Declan

O'Rourke fills goalie gap but rules out Royal return
By Terry Reilly
Wednesday, June 13, 2012
They may have dusted Graham Geraghty's boots off last summer but Colm O'Rourke's comeback won't stretch any further than a one off club game.
The 54-year old Royal legend and respected TV pundit caused quite a stir when he returned to playing duty on Monday night in Meath.

He is involved as a selector with Simonstown Gaels' junior C team who had only 13 players for a Division 3B league away fixture against St Ultan's. Having made the journey it was decided to draft two selectors into action, O'Rourke, who played in goals, and Ollie Boland, who lined out at corner-forward.

But O'Rourke, father of Meath panellist Shane, won't be repeating the outing.

"No, there'll be no glorious comeback," smiled Simonstown club secretary and former Meath county board official Barry Gorman.

"It was a bit of a novelty more than anything else. A lot of the lads had travelled a fair distance to get to the game and instead of telling them to turn around go home they stuck Colm in goals.

"He pulled off one great save in fairness to him. But he let two goals in and I'd imagine he took a bit of ribbing for that."

O'Rourke is unlikely to put it up there with his All-Ireland winning heroics of 1987 and 1988 but the club did at least win their match 3-14 to 2-11.

Shamrock Shore

My Da played in goals for an over 40 selection when they were stuck.

I think he was in his late 60s at the time.

Ohtoohtobe

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 12, 2012, 11:31:10 AM
Quotesomehow -- from the depths of their being -- Carlow dredged up one more assault on the Royals goal and in a glorious move, Nolan found substitute Keith Jackson with a precise pass, and he transferred it to Smith, who smashed the ball into the Meath net.

What a load of muck that is. A first year journalism student would be shot for writing that

I agree. From the depth of my being.

Qwerty28

Any point contacting the Indo about that?! Its shocking, not even close to what happened, no wonder its losing readers and sales...

Sea The Stars

Some of Meath's more experienced players need to shape up in my opinion. I'd like to say my piece about a few.

Kevin Reilly - Yes good full-back when left on edge of square but vulnerable when taken away from it - a weakness Carlow clearly sought to exploit last Sunday. The large number of frees he concedes usually goes ignored, plus has a propensity to try and nip everything in front of his man possibly due to fear of been taken on.

Graham Reilly - A fine footballer but one who has no aspiration to track back and tackle. A tactic used by Meath on Sunday was to leave Reilly's man free for Carlow kickouts so that Reilly could contest breaks. He rarely at any stage showed any enthusiasm for this. The supporters are blinded by his occasional dashing runs through defences.

Joe Sheridan - Vastly over-rated and always has been. He completely upsets the beat of this Meath team but continually standing still inside the '45 with his finger held high in the air. Farrell must find it hard to play alongside him - only one of them is interested in moving. He should never have been brought from America.

David Gallagher, Shane McAnarney, Mickey Burke, Brian Meade, Cian Ward and Brian Farrell have all mixed the good and the bad quite regularly over the last number of games.

Ard-Rí

Quotea propensity to try and nip everything in front of his man possibly due to fear of been taken on.

You mean trying to get out in front? The key tactic for the whole  full back line?  ???
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

Sea The Stars

I would not agree with that - a back should always stay between his man and the goal. If Reilly wants to commit himself the way he does, then he must get the ball. Usually though he finds himself having to drag his man down or else looking at him running into the distance. Only an observation I had.

Ard-Rí

Quote from: Sea The Stars on June 15, 2012, 08:59:01 PM
I would not agree with that - a back should always stay between his man and the goal. If Reilly wants to commit himself the way he does, then he must get the ball. Usually though he finds himself having to drag his man down or else looking at him running into the distance. Only an observation I had.

It's an interesting perspective, but as a full back, I would never have received coaching as such. The message always was "Get out in front", first and foremost, and if you can't the other element of full back play comes in : harry, tackle, block, stay goalside. Perhaps there is another approach in other counties?
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Sea The Stars

I would not have a problem with a back being out in front - provided he's not going to be turned around running after his man five seconds later. My problem with Reilly is that he can be reckless - diving in trying to get a hand to a ball and not getting there. It's a risk he takes too often without the required results. He's especially liable to do this when he's forced to mark a player who likes to run on to the ball. He would be better advised to shadow (basketball style) and let the forward give a handpass - at which point the next defender lines up to shadow. 

Ard-Rí

Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

Shamrock Shore

Juice. Live commentary on Newstalk