What Rule changes should the GAA introduce for football if any ?

Started by johnpower, October 01, 2011, 12:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Next thing they'll put two bucks beside the posts to decide if ball is wide or if it's a score  ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RMDrive

Quote from: Leo on October 04, 2011, 11:38:09 PM
3  More the 3 players into a tackle - free for the player in possession - ends the "swarm" defence which has always succeeded only because the tackling players are fouling!! - show me one example where this isnt the case.

Surely the solution to this is to call the foul - if there is one?

GAA_Talk

I've always thought that the idea of a sin bin was a great way of dealing with persistent fouling and would also sort out the abuse referees get from mouthy players. Would have a great impact on this part of our game i think.

One rule that does annoy me though is the fact that free kicks have to be taken from exactly the right position where the foul occurred. Now fair enough if this was in a scoring position then this rule should be enforced. However if a player is coming out of defense and they are fouled and with the momentum carrying them a few steps forward then they should be allowed to kick it from where they stopped. This means the they can take a quick free kick and continue their attack. The ref should not move the player the few or so yards back thus slowing down play and therefore giving the team that fouled the advantage . This is where tactical fouling occurs as it helps break down attacks and also helps the defending team re-group and get their shape back.

The time keeping needs to be better defined in terms of stoppages in injury time.

As for the way the game is played I think all other aspects should be left alone.

thewobbler

Half of you want netball, half of you want Aussie Rules.

Yis are all fuckwits.

sans pessimism

Should be a rule wherby County Board officals are told to 'get ta f**k out of the dugout for championship games'(and made to stand there there for FBD/McKenna/etc games in Jan/Feb.
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

heffo

Quote from: sans pessimism on October 08, 2011, 01:58:42 PM
Should be a rule wherby County Board officals are told to 'get ta f**k out of the dugout for championship games'(and made to stand there there for FBD/McKenna/etc games in Jan/Feb.

Like this much maligned legend.

http://www.sportsfile.com/id/328835/

sans pessimism

Quote from: thewobbler on October 07, 2011, 10:33:46 PM
Half of you want netball, half of you want Aussie Rules.

Yis are all fuckwits.
You sound like a very intelligent gentleman
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

thewobbler

Fintona, some rule changes and even core aspects of any game will change over time, in order to adapt to technology, humans advancement and just plain old improvements.

What bugs the sh1t out of me is that so many people just want to t**ker with the game all the time; it's almost a badge of honour within GAA circles to propose outlandish change to the game we all supposedly love.

It drives me nuts. Sans pessimism, at least I'm smart enough to be able to factor in the knock on effects of rule changes before proposing them. Every action has a reaction when you changes the fundamentals of a game. the overwhelming number of suggestions on this thread are simply badly conceived ideas.

sans pessimism

Quote from: thewobbler on October 09, 2011, 08:31:42 PM
Fintona, some rule changes and even core aspects of any game will change over time, in order to adapt to technology, humans advancement and just plain old improvements.

What bugs the sh1t out of me is that so many people just want to t**ker with the game all the time; it's almost a badge of honour within GAA circles to propose outlandish change to the game we all supposedly love.

It drives me nuts. Sans pessimism, at least I'm smart enough to be able to factor in the knock on effects of rule changes before proposing them. Every action has a reaction when you changes the fundamentals of a game. the overwhelming number of suggestions on this thread are simply badly conceived ideas.
relax ol stock,its the same on every thread-bunch a guys throwin out whatever comes into their heads,not to be taken as read.Bit a crack
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Denn Forever

The Sin Bin. 

Cavan lost the ladies final yesterday in no small part because of the sin binning of two players for cynical fouls.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

brokencrossbar1

QuoteA proposal to introduce a 'tap and go' style free in Gaelic football and hurling is a strong consideration for the GAA's high-powered playing rules committee.

The committee, which met for the third time last Thursday, are discussing the possibility of the new concept after a proposal from GPA chief executive Dessie Farrell, who is a member of the committee.

The concept is based loosely on the same facility for players in other sports such as AFL, rugby and hockey.

Farrell has a background in hockey and is understood to have based his idea on the 'autopass' which came into rule successfully in the sport in 2009.

Under the terms of what is being proposed, a player who is fouled would have the option to take a solo or 'tap and go' himself with a five-metre exclusion zone. The onus is on opponents to clear the area and failure to do so would result in stronger penalties than just the ball being moved up 10 metres. Under discussion is the possibility of awarding a 45-metre free in front of the opposing goals if the area is not cleared.

In rugby, the tapped penalty is used effectively to put opponents on the back foot. They cannot execute a tackle within 10 metres.

When a 'mark' is taken in AFL, a player must move backwards but can then go with the ball himself. This rule is also deployed in International Rules.

In Gaelic games, a player must hit a free away from the area by boot or hurl a distance of 10 metres or more.

Farrell's proposal is designed to bring more speed into the game, but doubts arise over its suitability for hurling. Allowing a player to 'tap and go' through an area that has been cleared could be an antidote for the heavy defensive orientation that some teams set up with.

Blocking the free-taker and preventing him from a quick pass allows defending teams to get numbers back fast. The current punishment of moving the ball up 10 metres scarcely acts as a deterrent and by allowing the 'autopass', the games would retain fluidity.

Future meetings may also consider the same facility from sidelines.

One of the concerns is the ability of match officials to keep pace with the game if these modifications were to be introduced.

Proposals that win approval at this committee level will be put before Central Council for further approval before they are submitted as motions to Congress.

Represent

The committee contains some high-profile names. Brian Cody and Kieran McGeeney represent managers; Farrell and Donal Og Cusack, the current chairman of the GPA, represent players; former Armagh footballer Jarlath Burns is one of those drawn from Central Council.

GAA president Christy Cooney, his successor Liam O'Neill, director general Paraic Duffy, referees chairman Mick Curley and Pat Daly, the GAA's director of games development and research, are among those involved.

They have been looking at other avenues of change and it's understood that inter-change substitutes, the scooped pass (where a player can pick up a moving ball without having to place his foot beneath it), requiring a ball to go out over an end-line before a game can conclude and an advantage rule are still being discussed.

A motion calling for an advantage rule to be introduced was tabled at a Congress in the early part of the last decade, but barely provoked a word of debate and was soundly beaten in a subsequent vote.

- Colm Keys

Tap penalty to speed up the game?  Might help prevent the systematic cynical fouling that is so prevalent.

Jinxy

The Donegal lads will love this if it comes in.
Why don't we just change the name to rugby league and be done with it.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

thewobbler

Finally, a good idea, this quick tap business.

It would go a long way towards getting rid of a) the deliberate slowing down of attacks, and b) the chest pumping and attempts to incite retaliation that follows on from so many frees.

tonesfirstandlast

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Jinxy on October 26, 2011, 01:18:51 PM
The Donegal lads will love this if it comes in.
Why don't we just change the name to rugby league and be done with it.

I would understand that consern but if introduced and then implemented well then I think it will speed up the game.  If people are punished properly for trying to slow then it would improve the game.