What Rule changes should the GAA introduce for football if any ?

Started by johnpower, October 01, 2011, 12:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Jinxy on October 04, 2011, 01:01:37 PM
Yep, the sin-bin is a good idea.
I remember that Dublin vs. Tyrone league game in Croke Park under lights a few years ago.
Hugely entertaining, lots of scores and the crowd loved it.
A lot of that was down to the sin-bin.
Of course the 'intensity' police were on here the next day giving out.  ::)
However I would tweak it slightly.
Sometimes a lad can genuinely go in for a tackle, time it badly, and end up getting a yellow.
The sin bin should be used to punish persistent fouling only otherwise players will be afraid to go in hard.
So keep the existing yellow card system for that kind of thing.
Maybe a different coloured card for the sin bin.
Magenta or turquoise for example.

Agree with this. There should be things that are direct sin binning offences, for instance a high challenge or a dangerous frontal charge. The idea persistant team fouling can be dealt with by simply warning the captain that the next player that commits a foul is sin binned no matter if it is his first or fifth foul. Designate say 7 team fouls per half and after that it is a sin bimning. Alternatively you could have a 21 yard free in front of the goals. Either way would go a long way to prevent tactical fouling.

tbrick18

Quote from: Jinxy on October 04, 2011, 01:01:37 PM
Yep, the sin-bin is a good idea.
I remember that Dublin vs. Tyrone league game in Croke Park under lights a few years ago.
Hugely entertaining, lots of scores and the crowd loved it.
A lot of that was down to the sin-bin.
Of course the 'intensity' police were on here the next day giving out.  ::)
However I would tweak it slightly.
Sometimes a lad can genuinely go in for a tackle, time it badly, and end up getting a yellow.
The sin bin should be used to punish persistent fouling only otherwise players will be afraid to go in hard.
So keep the existing yellow card system for that kind of thing.
Maybe a different coloured card for the sin bin.
Magenta or turquoise for example.

Perhaps the old system, 2 ticks then a yellow which sin-bins you. You get a tick for any foul to remove ambiguity/interpretation for the ref. Keep it simple, a foul is a tick. 2 ticks = yellow = sin bin for 5 or 10 mins. 2 yellows and yer off.
So if you concede 2 frees you're in the sin-bin.  If you concede 4 free's that's it, your off.
I think this would cut out a lot of the negative play, it doesnt meant you cant play blanket defence, but it does mean you will be less likely to stop the other team playing by fouling out the field.

Will the powers that be listen...probably not.

BennyCake

A time limit should be brought in for taking free kicks. When you see how much time is wasted with kick outs and frees, there's hardly half the actual 70 minutes played.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

muppet

Quote from: Rossfan on October 04, 2011, 09:28:31 PM
Stop the clock until the taker begins his runup.

What would the rule be if they forgot to restart the clock? Retake the free?
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Leo

1 Old hat this but - restrict to 4 consecutive handpasses - nightmare to ref for first year but it will change coaching habits & then be easy to implement.
2  All free kicks must travel at least 15 metres forward of the kicking position - ends the Tyrone & Donegal back-pass
3  More the 3 players into a tackle - free for the player in possession - ends the "swarm" defence which has always succeeded only because the tackling players are fouling!! - show me one example where this isnt the case.
4  All scores must be kicked except a fisted score from the ball in flight.
5  Deliberate "professional" foul in oponents's half move to a  20 metre freei-in
6 No GAA official to be allowed near a microphone - EVER!
Fierce tame altogether

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Leo on October 04, 2011, 11:38:09 PM
2  All free kicks must travel at least 15 metres forward of the kicking position - ends the Tyrone & Donegal back-pass

Why?

sheamy

Rossfan

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 05, 2011, 12:51:44 AM
Quote from: Leo on October 04, 2011, 11:38:09 PM

Why?

To stop the game turning into soccer with hands

AZOffaly

The only rule I would be in favour of is the countdown timer, with the clock being clearly visible and stopped for injuries. Let the refs ref, and the clock man keep the time. Hooter blows at the end, and ball must go dead afterwards.

Then have a limit for taking frees and kickouts so teams can't wind down the clock if they are in front by stalling on restarts.

Jinxy

FFS lads.
If we bring in all these new rules we'll have auxiliary referees counting the handpasses out loud, linesmen with measuring tapes and Hawkeyes 'death ray' function being used to disintegrate persistent foulers.
If you were any use you'd be playing.