Islamic Jihadists ISIS

Started by rossiewanderer, August 13, 2014, 07:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

What about the people on other planets and other universes? Bucking planetist.

haveaharp

Quote from: Hardy on August 18, 2014, 11:38:02 AM
Let's not be English, French or German any more. Let's be European. No, not European, let's be men. Let's be humanity. All we have to do is get rid of one last piece of egocentricity - patriotism.
– Victor Hugo.

An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise. Same fella.

easytiger95

ISIS are actually following a well trodden path. Islam itself is not the problem, the militant strain within Islam to label others "infidels" - much like the twisted neo-con strain of American exceptionalism/christianity -  is. However it is a zero sum game and ISIS can only lose in the long term.

The example to compare them with is the Algerian insurgency in the late 80s and early 90s. Once you have labelled Christians, Jews, Sunnis and Yazidis as infidels, what do you do then? In Algeria, people who professed to believe the same things were declared infidel for not believing it as strongly as the leadership - so eventually they turned on themselves in horrible series of atrocities. Now the same thing has happened to Al Qaeda in Syria.

People talk about Islamo-facism, but it is probably far more apposite to think about groups like Al Qaeda and now ISIS like the Bolsheviks. They are small elite groups, far beyond the mainstream of Islamic opinion, but using extreme violence to set the agenda. It is a very old script, but it always ends the same way - without popular support they will end up eating themselves, and in a movement that defines itself by ranking belief and unbelief, popular support is impossible to secure.

The terrible problem is trying to limit the amount of people they destroy whilst destroying themselves.

imtommygunn

Reading a story about isis beheading an american journalist they captured two years ago and the video is available online >:(

A journalist? What do these guys think that will achieve and making it public too.

Disgusting.

midLouth

They also have another American journalist awaiting the same faith. Cowards keeping their faces covered.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 19, 2014, 10:25:04 PM
Reading a story about isis beheading an american journalist they captured two years ago and the video is available online >:(

A journalist? What do these guys think that will achieve and making it public too.

Disgusting.

As long as they have apologists like Ulick on their side then they will continue to ramp up the barbarity. People like Ulick will always give them a pass.

Linkbox

Horrific stuff. The video is on liveleak. The second guy is Steven Joel Sotloff from Time magazine. Jesus it's hard to even imagine being in that situation. The ISIS guy had a British accent too. Unbelievable.

southdown

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20959228

Sure the Saudi government have no issues with beheadings, but they are great fellas in the eyes of the West.

johnneycool

RTÉ are saying IS have taken over a Syrian border crossing into the Golan Heights, will IS open up a new front on the Israelis?

seafoid

Quote from: johnneycool on August 28, 2014, 09:36:07 AM
RTÉ are saying IS have taken over a Syrian border crossing into the Golan Heights, will IS open up a new front on the Israelis?
It would be interesting if they retook the Golan but I think they are morel likely to be supported by Israel under the logic that my enemy's enemy is my friend.

Assad is playing a very cynical game- he's happy for ISIS to slaughter the moderate opposition and losing an airbase and 500 soldiers was justified by getting the
Yanks to bomb ISIS this week.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnneycool

Quote from: seafoid on August 28, 2014, 10:28:15 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on August 28, 2014, 09:36:07 AM
It would be interesting if they retook the Golan but I think they are morel likely to be supported by Israel under the logic that my enemy's enemy is my friend.

Assad is playing a very cynical game- he's happy for ISIS to slaughter the moderate opposition and losing an airbase and 500 soldiers was justified by getting the
Yanks to bomb ISIS this week.

Well Assad is now a friend of the West since IS started taking over oil fields in Northern Iraq, so that logic applies to all and sundry.

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

AZOffaly

Will we still be able to go to the Al-Gharb?

Sidney

Quote from: Denn Forever on September 05, 2014, 10:42:59 AM
Now they want to make Spain an Islamic state like it was before.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2014/07/01/ISIS-Releases-Map-of-5-Year-Plan-to-Spread-from-Spain-to-China
The "logic" of the concept of creating an Islamic state in Spain uses pretty much the same "logic" as that which created the state of Israel.