Westport

Started by Yer Ma, June 21, 2007, 10:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yer Ma

To get away from the general crap that happens over the 12th, I'm taking the family down to Westport for the week. I haven't been before, and while anyone who I've spoke to says it's a great place, was wondering if anyone on this board knows of good things to do/places to eat/nice pubs etc. I've got two small wee'uns as well, so family friendly recommendations would be much appreciated.

Donagh

Westport is a great spot. Matt Molloy's is a must for the music but is usually packed out most nights over the summer.

ziggysego

The Castle Court Hotel is a great place. Been in it three times.

http://www.castlecourthotel.ie/
Testing Accessibility

Abble

Pony trekking, boat trips and fishing trips.
pre-book for fishing down at the harbour...

westmayo

Plenty of good place to eat and drink in Westport. You can head up to Westport House for a bit of history, if that's your sort of thing the National Museum of Country Life is only a half our car ride away just outside Castlebar. Take a boat trip out around Clew Bay or a day trip to Clare Island. You could climb Croagh Patrick, but you'll be a few weeks early to do it bare foot. There's plenty of watersport and beaches around also.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fishead_Sam

Good town alright I have to admit, good spot is O'Malleys on Bridge St. & theres another place around the corner on Mill St.

If you going on a day trip Louisburgh is fantastic, you can take a ferry our from Roonagh to Clare Island or from Cleggan to Inishboffin, both islands fantastic, Insihturk another option. Pontoon, Lough Mask/Corrib, Achill, Killary Harbour, Blacksod Bay are all stunning. Clew Bay itself is out of this world. Theres lots more than that obviously. Castlebar & Westport are only 12-15 miles apart, both good drinking towns.

magpie seanie

Quoteyou can take a ferry our from Roonagh to Clare Island or from Cleggan to Inishboffin, both islands fantastic

Went to Inishboffin with herself and rented out a couple of bikes on the island. Pootered about most of the day on the bikes stopping in for a cuppa and some cake in one spot and a toastie and a pint in the pub and generally taking our time traversing all of the motorways and autobahns of the island! Hard to describe how brilliant the views were and how absolutely chillaxed I was at the end of the day (most regular posters will find that hard to believe!). Was sunny and the wind was up so even though I rarely get sunburnt I was scampering round Clifden later that evening looking for aftersun lotion. The only downer and purely self inflicted out of my own thickness.

Anyway, that was my day. It mightn't be ideal with kids or if weather is crap though definitely worth a visit.

Yer Ma

Cheers lads, much appreciated.

Louth Exile

If you go to Loiusburg you should take the spin from there to Lenane (excusing spelling). It is awesome.
Take a picnic to the waterfall where the field was filmed (damn yank)
Great part of the world
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

An Fear Rua

get a good look at the ocean, head to louisberg, go through the "Town", past the place were the have "SKCHAMPS" and on the right is a small road leading to Carrownisky Strand. It will take your breath away. Theres a lot of surfing and kite flying etc happens there.

Before you get to Louisberg, there is another small turn off which will take you to Old Head, has a nice safe beach for the kids, not to many Jelly fish, and pier . Theres also a pier and beach in Lecanvy down past the school, small beach , and then there is Betra which is nearer Murrisk(it used to have a HB stall in the summer). Theres another secret beach in Lecanvy, down the side Eillie Donnellys house, and then past Feeneys, if you find it your doing well, but I spent many long hours there in the summers. You even get the odd thing washed ashore thats fallen of achill island(usually a cow!!!)

You can climb to the statue (base camp) on the reek , and see the famine ship when your in Murrisk.
Its Grim up North

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: An Fear Rua on June 21, 2007, 03:07:25 PM
get a good look at the ocean, head to louisberg, go through the "Town", past the place were the have "SKCHAMPS" and on the right is a small road leading to Carrownisky Strand. It will take your breath away. Theres a lot of surfing and kite flying etc happens there.

Mothers people origionaly from Carrownisky Strand circa 80 yrs ago

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 21, 2007, 02:08:28 PM

Went to Inishboffin

Fathers people origional from Inishboffin circa 90 years ago I think

Always thought both places out of this World.

Donagh

Louisberg - founded to house native Irish Catholics burnt out of north Armagh by the Orange Order in the 1790's.

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Donagh on June 21, 2007, 03:48:03 PM
Louisberg - founded to house native Irish Catholics burnt out of north Armagh by the Orange Order in the 1790's.

A Jaz Donagh are ya trying to tell me Im origionaly from Crossmaglen  :D

Donagh

Nah, better than that Sam – Portadown!!!  :D