The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 03, 2018, 04:00:38 PM
Wasn't there some rule about not being able to play a home semi within a certain distance of your actual home ground? Maybe it's gone or maybe I'm imagining it.

In the league Dublin play half their games away. They mostly play at Croke Park in the Leinster championship because the Leinster council (made up of all the counties in Leinster) decide that is how it should be.

You are imagining it. The Leinster Council are irrelevant on a rugby thread.

Fact is Dublin played 4 games away from home in the League, they played 4 games including the final at home. In the Championship they played 1 neutral ground and a further 5 championship games including the final at home. No competition in the world would accept it. I mean look at the fuss being generated by the Scarlets over Leinster getting to play them in the Aviva even though no rule is broken.

Bottom line 4 Away, 1 Neutral and 9 games at home is not in the slightest compared to Leinster who last season played 12 at the RDS, 3 at the Aviva, 1 Neutral and 14 games away from home. It is disingenuous to say otherwise.
#newbridgeornowhere

bannside

I was at the Aviva on Sunday last to see a superb Leinster team blow away the European champs. Thoroughly enjoyable occasion, it was my first venture to the new Aviva and the first class rugby was only surpassed on the day by the first class pints of Guinness in Slatterys. They wont be my last!

magpie seanie

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 03, 2018, 04:14:28 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on April 03, 2018, 04:00:38 PM
Wasn't there some rule about not being able to play a home semi within a certain distance of your actual home ground? Maybe it's gone or maybe I'm imagining it.

In the league Dublin play half their games away. They mostly play at Croke Park in the Leinster championship because the Leinster council (made up of all the counties in Leinster) decide that is how it should be.

You are imagining it. The Leinster Council are irrelevant on a rugby thread.

Fact is Dublin played 4 games away from home in the League, they played 4 games including the final at home. In the Championship they played 1 neutral ground and a further 5 championship games including the final at home. No competition in the world would accept it. I mean look at the fuss being generated by the Scarlets over Leinster getting to play them in the Aviva even though no rule is broken.

Bottom line 4 Away, 1 Neutral and 9 games at home is not in the slightest compared to Leinster who last season played 12 at the RDS, 3 at the Aviva, 1 Neutral and 14 games away from home. It is disingenuous to say otherwise.

You're forgetting the O'Byrne Cup.  ;) I know Dublin put a 3rd team into that but Leinster often have something approaching a 3rd string in Pro14 games (and like Dublin still win mostly).

I'm not saying it's exactly the same but it's a little "convenient".

Dinny Breen

Yea Dublin played 1 game in Parnell Park this year, 3k turned up and they drew. Leinster never put a 3rd team in the Pro14, another disingenuous comment, you obviously have an a issue with Leinster Rugby so pointless engaging when facts and figures are ignored in favour of opinion.

#newbridgeornowhere

magpie seanie

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 04, 2018, 09:11:00 AM
Yea Dublin played 1 game in Parnell Park this year, 3k turned up and they drew. Leinster never put a 3rd team in the Pro14, another disingenuous comment, you obviously have an a issue with Leinster Rugby so pointless engaging when facts and figures are ignored in favour of opinion.

How many players have played for Leinster this season?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 04, 2018, 09:15:50 AM

No idea, tell me.
#newbridgeornowhere

magpie seanie

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 04, 2018, 09:22:54 AM

No idea, tell me.

OK. Sorry for annoying you.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 04, 2018, 09:24:29 AM

No idea, tell me.

Sarcasm or not I am going to frame that, a Seanie apology  ;)
#newbridgeornowhere

magpie seanie

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 04, 2018, 09:35:40 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on April 04, 2018, 09:24:29 AM

No idea, tell me.

Sarcasm or not I am going to frame that, a Seanie apology  ;)

Not sarcastic. I was only making a few tongue in cheek comments, kind of probing the situation and it annoyed you. I don't want to annoy anyone especially a sound enough lad like yourself. I'll fight my corner tooth and nail but is it worth pissing off good people - no, not really.

Dinny Breen

You're grand, I wasn't annoyed until you brought Dublin into it :)

BTW, I am not even a big Leinster fan, I go to more Kildare games than Leinster games and haven't been to the RDS in years for a game. However was at the Aviva Sunday and might make the Pro14 final if they make it. #bandwagon
#newbridgeornowhere

magpie seanie

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 04, 2018, 09:54:40 AM

BTW, I am not even a big Leinster fan, I go to more Kildare games than Leinster games and haven't been to the RDS in years for a game. However was at the Aviva Sunday and might make the Pro14 final if they make it. #bandwagon

Ah I know your view on the Dublin thing so I was poking you a little bit. We'll have to have a few pints some day and revisit it.  ;D

Dinny Breen

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 04, 2018, 09:58:40 AM

Ah I know your view on the Dublin thing so I was poking you a little bit. We'll have to have a few pints some day and revisit it.  ;D

Need AZ to organise a charity golf event.
#newbridgeornowhere

magpie seanie

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 04, 2018, 10:01:29 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on April 04, 2018, 09:58:40 AM

Need AZ to organise a charity golf event.

Seconded.

AZOffaly

Whatever about that, I checked, and Leinster have used 52 players in the Pro 14. 20 backs and 32 forwards. But I don't think there's anything unusual about that.

Munster have used 50. 22 backs and 28 forwards.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 04, 2018, 12:49:33 PM
Whatever about that, I checked, and Leinster have used 52 players in the Pro 14. 20 backs and 32 forwards. But I don't think there's anything unusual about that.

Munster have used 50. 22 backs and 28 forwards.

I knew it had to be into the late 40's early 50's. I accept though the physicality of rugby means teams have to carry vastly bigger squads than other sports like GAA or soccer.

I'd be interested to see how this compares to the English and French sides.