Student Days

Started by STREET FIGHTER, May 09, 2021, 10:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STREET FIGHTER

Decided to open this thread given all the nostalgia on the 'WTF' one....

Really enjoyed reading all the recent comments (including the old MS link lol)

Great days with great stories no doubt....

Time to gather them all up in one thread....student days from any part of the world you were in...

Hopefully provides some great stories and a bit of good old honest (or not so honest) craic!

quit yo jibbajabba

ooh. This could be good. Dont wana go too early so ill sit and read for a bit 😃😃

STREET FIGHTER

'Famous' Eating Houses up in Belfast....

Spud's (wasn't keen on it!)

Bishops- possibly the place across the road!? Not bad...

McDonalds (Next door- think they shut it down)

KFC Shaftburys Square (Literally taking your life into your own hands)

Esperanto's (burn your head off as well as you arse sometimes!)

Empire- Meal Deal (not great!)

Kam- Wah (taking your life into your own hands visiting that wee hatch!)

Centra (always handy for a roll!)

Subway (the same!)

Julie's Armpits (Maybe became a Harry Ramsden's??)

Maggie Mays (useful for when the loan came in- also bring your own bottle!)

Temps (anybody remember when these guys employed their own DJ- such was the crowds in there after the bars/clubs had finished lol)

Sit in Chinese across the road (useful for when the loan came in- 3 courses for £10)

Queens Chaplaincy (more a home-made vibe about it- not bad)

The Bot (See Empire Note)

Cafe Nostra (Ormeau Road- not much crossing over the Ormeau Road in my day)

Baracuda (Ormeau Road)

Helen's Bakery (Ormeau Road)

French Village (Stanmillis)

Movie Star Cafe Botanic Avenue (for a bottle of beer, Chilli Con Carne.....never bothered with desert lol  ;))

Holylands Spar (Hangover Jambons etc)

Anywhere else???

FermGael

Spinx.

Hungry Hound on the Ormeau Road
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Substandard

UCG mid-90s.  I suppose everyone sees their era in college as a golden era, but I genuinely believe there's a compelling case for that particular time.
A lot changed while I was there: Smoky Joes when you could smoke, for one.  The staff there were sound, I lived on coffee, doughnuts, playing cards and having the craic.  There was the H block, the old college bar, and I can't remember the name of the canteen between the Quad and the library, it's the conference office now, or was the last time I was around.
Mussolini used to patrol the corridors, caught me smoking in the early days and I thought I was going to be arrested!!

No social media, but emails were beginning to be a thing.  Everything went by word of mouth: the River Inn was a great spot,  but Cookes always seemed too far up.  Parties in Legoland were massive for us 1st years, but usually lost in what seemed like a labyrinth for a poor culchie,  because most of the signs were nicked.  The Hole in the Wall was the 1st year pub, after that you graduated to the King's Head.  Salthill was where it all was at: the Castle was the biz, and then CJs.  There was one beside the Warwick,  I can't remember the name but it changed a few times while I was there.
As you progressed (only a year or two, but back then it was eons), McSwiggans became the local, with discerning heads settling in Bar an Chaladh, or Neachtains.  The cool alt set were Roisin Dubh or the Crane aficionados, but they were a bit  out of my way, although I retired in Monroes.  I forgot Matt's bar for shots as you were following the promotions and the free passes into whatever nightclub.  The GPO for drinking and music (loved Shite Night), CPs was more upmarket.  Cuba had a few great years in Eyre Square.  The obligatory once a term visit to Padraig's Place on a particularly ferocious drinking session to prove you were hardcore.
All in all, I loved it.  I'd give anything to live those years again.
The people,  the music, the fact that there was always something going on in Galway.
Magic.
One final thing: despite the fact that many of them to this day are my best friends, it kills me anytime Galway or Mayo win anything!!

andoireabu

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on May 09, 2021, 11:21:16 AM

Subway (the same!)

Temps (anybody remember when these guys employed their own DJ- such was the crowds in there after the bars/clubs had finished lol)

Sit in Chinese across the road (useful for when the loan came in- 3 courses for £10)

Baracuda (Ormeau Road)

Movie Star Cafe Botanic Avenue (for a bottle of beer, Chilli Con Carne.....never bothered with desert lol  ;))

Anywhere else???

Have to add The Emerald Chinese down the Dublin road and Ruschi on the Ormeau Rd to this. Helen's was a great fry after a night of pints in the Hatfield.
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Milltown Row2

The burger van outside the Egg/Bot, woke up one morning with two uneaten burgers in my pockets, certain food poison thon spot
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on May 09, 2021, 11:21:16 AM

Subway (the same!)

Baracuda (Ormeau Road)

Anywhere else???
Harveys I think it was called at the shaftsbury square end of great Victoria street, Bleekers (beside the Egg)  and whilst not a late night haunt The Lamplighter on The Ormeau Road was hard to beat for value for money

screenexile

Used to be a place called Grumbles which did a cheap feed when I first moved up.

The Other Place was decent if you had a few pound.

Centra in the middle of Botanic did an unreal sandwich when hungover.

Anytime I was heading out for lunch though it was the Chaplancy wile handy and a good price.

Also if we didn't head out drinking we would hit the burger van outside Renshaws/Dukes for a sneaky cheeseburger and to try and clean up any breaking ball from the night out!

Tony Baloney

The Other Place was a handy spot for a date and then to QFT or dander down to Virgin cinema. Importantly wasn't too dear!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 09, 2021, 04:58:25 PM
The Other Place was a handy spot for a date and then to QFT or dander down to Virgin cinema. Importantly wasn't too dear!

Yes the other place was a great spot for splashing out ! BYO
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

STREET FIGHTER

Forgot about The Other Place...

Maybe too high end for me at the time!

STREET FIGHTER

Sunday night-  few pints with the house mates...nothing major....

Monday night- Serious RIP in Queens Union, Renshaws or Dukes

Tuesday night- Empire comedy club or Limelight....maybe the night off...

Wed night-  RIP in the Bot

Thursday night- Union or Bot....or preparing to go home for the weekend....before getting ready to do all over again...

All the above mixed in with a bit of day drinking in Renshaws...or wherever

Serious life when you look back at it...

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 09, 2021, 04:58:25 PM

Did i date you at a stage?!

😃😃😉

RedHand88

Temps, cowboy supper in Maggie May's, wee curry out of the Emerald, Bishops.
Completely forgot about the other place.

Beach club, Rain, Union,  6 shots for £6 in the Eg, 3 for a fiver in Renshaws,

Poker tournaments in Dukes, crazy Tuesday in movie House Dublin Road