Building a house

Started by JimStynes, February 26, 2011, 04:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 12, 2016, 02:50:30 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 12, 2016, 02:28:28 PM
I read in passive building Ireland that some fella built a 4 bed passive house for 800 euro per square metre. Costs per annum 15 eur. And on RTE someone said Irish people have v low expectations of houses. So many are so cold

Do you have a link to the passive building Ireland article?
unfortunately not. I read it in easons.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 12, 2016, 02:49:42 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 12, 2016, 02:28:28 PM
I read in passive building Ireland that some fella built a 4 bed passive house for 800 euro per square metre. Costs per annum 15 eur. And on RTE someone said Irish people have v low expectations of houses. So many are so cold

It would want to be cheap to run!!
how much is a crap house in Dublin? 800 psm is 120k for 150sq m

trueblue1234

Renewable Heat incentives done away with in NI. ☹️ We're only after changing the plans to include a heat pump. RHI has been over subscribed. 🙄
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

LeoMc

Quote from: WaterBoy on March 30, 2015, 09:21:33 AM
Quote from: North Man on March 12, 2015, 10:18:39 PM
Obtained planning permission for a new house.
Considering a log burner for the heating with the renewable heat incentive now available in the North.
Have anyone any opinion on same, or what other form of heating system would be recommended.

Same stage as yourself North Man and considering a wood pellet burner.  The proposed house is story and a half, 2500 sq ft. I sent a copy of my plans to a Renewable Energy company and they gave me a quote of around £5500 for the burner including installation and labour. They done a calculation and estimate that I would get around £900 a year back through RHI for 7 years, plus you get a payment of £2,500 through RHI when the boiler is commissioned.  You would need a garage/shed to house the burner, so if you weren't planning on building one with the house you would have to factor that into the cost as well.

If the RHI calculations I was given are near the mark it seems to make sense financially, and you would think that even after 7 years when the RHI payments stop that you would still be saving as wood pellets are likely to be cheaper than oil, although there isn't much difference in price between the two at the minute.

The main concern I have is the operation of the burner itself, there is a bit more maintenance in them than an oil burner as you have to load them with Bags of pellets and clean them regularly (empty the ash).  That wouldn't be a big deal but from looking online some people were complaining that they had constant issues with the burner and as they aren't as common as oil burners it can cost a fortune to get someone to repair them  http://blog.greenwisebusiness.co.uk/2013/04/10-things-your-installer-wont-tell-you-before-you-purchase-a-biomass-boiler/

So I guess I'm asking the same question, does anybody have any experience of wood pellet burners or know anybody who has one and would be able to advise on whether they are worth it?       
Saw the ad for Grants wood pellet burners talking about up to £20,000 of RHI payments over 7 years. Started to google and came across that same blog.

Does anyone have more recent experiences of wood pellet boilers? I have to admit I never even considered them or spent any time researching them.

trueblue1234

The RHI is going this month. It's oversubscribed already so they're pulling the plug. Grants and repayments are going with it.

Brick Tamlin

I built the house 4 yrs ago and put in a wood burning stove primarily with this grant in mind.
Due my first annual payment of 7 next month.
E-mailed them last week asking for clarification on this and I was told that because im already in the system that il receive the annual payments as agreed.

BTW the stove is a great job.

seafoid

It seems to me that most houses in Ireland are poor quality. I wouldn't pay 300K for OFCH. Dublin might be the worst.
Passive housing is the way to go

parttimeexile

Quote from: seafoid on February 17, 2016, 09:29:04 AM
It seems to me that most houses in Ireland are poor quality. I wouldn't pay 300K for OFCH. Dublin might be the worst.
Passive housing is the way to go
I agree that many houses are poor quality although I think the cost of building a fully certified passive house is so much greater than a well insulated house that the cost negates the point of doing it. Was told this by an environmental design engineer.

LeoMc

Quote from: johnneycool on February 21, 2012, 12:10:49 PM
I put the underfloor heating into any room which was going to be either tiled or have wood flooring fitted, i.e. bathrooms, kitchen, hall etc and i like the even heat better than radiators which I still have upstairs in the bedrooms and landing area

I have 75mm of insulation below the underfloor and only 50mm of a non concrete based screed so you don't have to wait as long as you would with 100mm of concrete based screed.

I also have a solid fuel stove linked into the normal oil fired heating system as well as solar panels heating the hot water.

The solar panel is a good job as i rarely burn any oil from about May till late september.

I also put 75mm foil backed cavity insulation in all the walls and that helps no end.

Insulate as much as your budget will allow you as its money saved in the long run.

Can't see the end of the feckin line on this new board!!

Anyone got any thoughts on this? There seems to be a great saving in time but how does the costs of a liquid screed floor compare with the traditional concrete?

trueblue1234

I think the liquid screed is more expensive than concrete but I don't know how much by. It heats up quicker, but the other side of that is that it cools down quicker as well. Your head would be wrecked trying to work out which would be best. There's some people who are going for concrete screed downstairs and then liquid screen upstairs (As most people don't want the bedrooms too warm at night). 

Mhic Easmuint

General quotes I got back for screeds:
Standard Screed: £10 - £11 m2
Liquid Screed: £13.50 - £15 m2

With liquid screed prob need to make sure sub floors are level as you could get hit with extra cost - in part of one room - it ended up 80mm deep - so extra charge of £500 for additional material - I think it was £200 per cubic metre. It was 17 weeks before I was able to start tiling on it - got it tested at the deepest point.

Found tilers are cagey/cautious with liquid screed. Heard some horror stories of tiles lifting after 7/8 months.

Hereiam

Yep you will need to wait on drying out. 1mm/day i have been told to allow. Ideally with the standard sand/cement screed you would never have the heating off, you just let the thermostats do the work but with the liquid screed you can control it like rads i suppose. The problem i find with it is that it heats up to quickly and cools down just as quick. Sand/cement will distribute a more even heat and doesn't cool down as quick. It goes back to lifestyle, if your not in the house much why have the heating running all the time, liquid screed or rads will short this problem.

johnneycool

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on February 23, 2016, 03:15:05 PM

With liquid screed prob need to make sure sub floors are level as you could get hit with extra cost - in part of one room - it ended up 80mm deep - so extra charge of £500 for additional material - I think it was £200 per cubic metre. It was 17 weeks before I was able to start tiling on it - got it tested at the deepest point.

Found tilers are cagey/cautious with liquid screed. Heard some horror stories of tiles lifting after 7/8 months.

The floors need sealed with an acrylic sealant rather than the standard ones. I used the pink Larsen stuff and have had no issues at all either on tiled floors or wooden floors stuck down with Gutoid (or equivalent adhesive).
Builders in general struggle with something that's different than what they know and rather than show their ignorance plough on regardless hence the horror stories.

I bought my liquid screed off RTU in Newtownabbey and they'd informed me of all this stuff at the time.

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: johnneycool on February 23, 2016, 04:04:07 PM

The floors need sealed with an acrylic sealant rather than the standard ones. I used the pink Larsen stuff and have had no issues at all either on tiled floors or wooden floors stuck down with Gutoid (or equivalent adhesive).
Builders in general struggle with something that's different than what they know and rather than show their ignorance plough on regardless hence the horror stories.

I bought my liquid screed off RTU in Newtownabbey and they'd informed me of all this stuff at the time.

I got my screed from them as well though it was through a floor screed company. RTU said to put down 2 coats of acrylic primer first. Got it tested by them and the pass mark was below 0.5 and it was 0.4 so a pass but the guy still said it might be best left another week with the heat on.

johnneycool

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on February 24, 2016, 10:03:27 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on February 23, 2016, 04:04:07 PM

I got my screed from them as well though it was through a floor screed company. RTU said to put down 2 coats of acrylic primer first. Got it tested by them and the pass mark was below 0.5 and it was 0.4 so a pass but the guy still said it might be best left another week with the heat on.

Paul Hill perchance?