Self Improvement Gurus

Started by trailer, October 24, 2023, 11:15:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tintin25

It has its uses and to be honest I found a new job after being 'headhunted' myself lol but the amount of disingenuous posts and people blowing smoke up each others arses is off the scale these days.  Your true friends aren't made on LinkedIn that's for sure.

imtommygunn

Yeah tbh I would use it if I wanted to change job. Some amount of shite on it like you say.

Deerstalker

So are we to assume this Tom Smyth character is money laundering, going by that Bel Tel article & this guru shit is just a front ?

I just can't believe for a minute anyone would give this brain dead clown a penny for mentoring or advice

RedHand88

A quick look through Companies House tells you all you need to know...

Brick Tamlin

This is a thread ive been waiting on for a long time.

The world has increasingly become full of people who, if they were a bar of chocolate, would lick themselves to death and this all feeds into it. The lack of humility and self-awareness is astounding.

LinkedIn is an absolute cesspit for narcissists and self-obsessed idiots. Its awash with recruiters not to mention materialistic pricks with little or no substance. I guess its all a reflection of society and how social media and self-promotion are the only games in town for people.

I get that businesses need to be promoted and some platforms are key to this. We are saturated and bombarded with self-help gurus, life coaches, property gurus, self-made success stories, genius entrepreneurs and business experts from all walks of life. If they arent back-slapping and blowing smoke up each others arses, they are telling the world how great they are.
Its a total dumbing down of society and people are so thick they slavishly follow and buy into it all.

Armagh18

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on October 27, 2023, 10:50:41 AMThis is a thread ive been waiting on for a long time.

The world has increasingly become full of people who, if they were a bar of chocolate, would lick themselves to death and this all feeds into it. The lack of humility and self-awareness is astounding.

LinkedIn is an absolute cesspit for narcissists and self-obsessed idiots. Its awash with recruiters not to mention materialistic pricks with little or no substance. I guess its all a reflection of society and how social media and self-promotion are the only games in town for people.

I get that businesses need to be promoted and some platforms are key to this. We are saturated and bombarded with self-help gurus, life coaches, property gurus, self-made success stories, genius entrepreneurs and business experts from all walks of life. If they arent back-slapping and blowing smoke up each others arses, they are telling the world how great they are.
Its a total dumbing down of society and people are so thick they slavishly follow and buy into it all.
What do half these boys actually do? Like I've a lot of pts and stuff on social media that have made themselves millionaires but they've literally changed thousands of lives. What do these other gobshites do/sell? Other than courses of them talking shite?

And don't get me started on these day in the life influencers. Post every moment of their day bar taking a shite.

general_lee

It's the ugly side of social media and unfortunately there is money to be made.

Every **** and his granny has started a podcast, become a PT, thinks they're an influencer, a food reviewer, an interior designer, a lifestyle guru.

TikTok seems to be the platform of choice where for some reason one post can go viral much easier than Facebook, instagram etc. The GAA ones are the best, some pube barely out of minor giving nutritional advice and telling people what training they should be doing. It's a laugh at times but also incredibly cringey.

theskull1

Has Johnny Adair and Tommy Smyth ever been seen in the same room together? That's who he reminds me of (adding the turkey teeth and hair transplant)

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Taylor

Quote from: general_lee on October 27, 2023, 12:06:12 PMIt's the ugly side of social media and unfortunately there is money to be made.

Every **** and his granny has started a podcast, become a PT, thinks they're an influencer, a food reviewer, an interior designer, a lifestyle guru.

TikTok seems to be the platform of choice where for some reason one post can go viral much easier than Facebook, instagram etc. The GAA ones are the best, some pube barely out of minor giving nutritional advice and telling people what training they should be doing. It's a laugh at times but also incredibly cringey.

;D

trailer

There's a couple of sides to this. I don't mind influencers and some are pretty good, certain food ones, I follow a few others GAA, Travel, Homes etc. And if they can make a few pound out of a company good luck to them. Some for sure aren't my cup o tae so I ignore them. Rory's stories for example, but good luck to him all the same.

For me Smyth, Cardone, Kym Calvert they're all in a different box. They're peddling some bullshit lifestyle. They for me are poison.

clonian

Quote from: trailer on October 27, 2023, 12:54:22 PMThere's a couple of sides to this. I don't mind influencers and some are pretty good, certain food ones, I follow a few others GAA, Travel, Homes etc. And if they can make a few pound out of a company good luck to them. Some for sure aren't my cup o tae so I ignore them. Rory's stories for example, but good luck to him all the same.

For me Smyth, Cardone, Kym Calvert they're all in a different box. They're peddling some bullshit lifestyle. They for me are poison.

This is the big one for me. Day hired motors, apartments and office areas for videos and instagram shoots making it look like they own it. bullshit

There was a young woman from somewhere in the US being shared on twitter basically fed up after a few months in full time office hours having to travel in and out of the city while doing a 9 to 5. A lot of people were slagging her off but the problems is dickheads have been telling young ones they can do whatever they want and make a fortune - that's not really achievable for most though. The girl was just thinking how are you meant to have a life if your travelling to work from 7 to 7 every day. And she has a point.
When I cam out of uni in 03, we knew the first few years were going to be shite, working long hours to get up the ladder but everyone wants to miss that part now.

trailer

Quote from: clonian on October 27, 2023, 01:18:55 PM
Quote from: trailer on October 27, 2023, 12:54:22 PMThere's a couple of sides to this. I don't mind influencers and some are pretty good, certain food ones, I follow a few others GAA, Travel, Homes etc. And if they can make a few pound out of a company good luck to them. Some for sure aren't my cup o tae so I ignore them. Rory's stories for example, but good luck to him all the same.

This is the big one for me. Day hired motors, apartments and office areas for videos and instagram shoots making it look like they own it. bullshit

There was a young woman from somewhere in the US being shared on twitter basically fed up after a few months in full time office hours having to travel in and out of the city while doing a 9 to 5. A lot of people were slagging her off but the problems is dickheads have been telling young ones they can do whatever they want and make a fortune - that's not really achievable for most though. The girl was just thinking how are you meant to have a life if your travelling to work from 7 to 7 every day. And she has a point.
When I cam out of uni in 03, we knew the first few years were going to be shite, working long hours to get up the ladder but everyone wants to miss that part now.

You gotta earn your stripes.