2018 National Football League Division 4

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, October 14, 2017, 11:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heshs Umpire

Promotion is the minimum target. We should be winning the final of this in Croke Park. After that? Wexford away is one I'd  like to think we can win. Then Westmeath. We'll know where we are after that.
Sugrue has a problem though. It's the same problem Creedon , Lillis and O Flatharta had. The underage supply line has dried up big time. 2007 minors was our last great underage team.
The 2003 and 2004 lads are nearly gone now. Only Quigley, Begley, Timmons and Donoher left I think.
It's hard trying to plug the gaps with chaps who've done little or nothing at the top level. But we need to keep trying. I've great hopes for the likes of Daly (despite my dislike of that transfer), Diarmuid Whelan and young Coffey and Slevin of Port. Kelly of Joes will come again I'm sure and same goes for Sean Moore. Pity Meredith isn't involved. Fine player.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Unison

Is the underage setup still poor in the county? Personally, I haven't got a clue,

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: Tony on February 14, 2018, 03:11:19 PM
To be honest, a lot comes down to luck, too. The underage setup now is as good or better compared to what it was in the 90's or 2000's. I played with a lot of the lads around the time of our 90's minor success. And I swear, there was talent coming out of everywhere at that time. Most club teams had at least 3-4 inter county standard players. The underage structure and setup wasn't a whole lot different to what it is today. I think a lot of people overestimate the setup then, and underestimate the setup now, based on it's product of talent. My point being : sometimes in a county as small as Laois, you can have waves of years where you have plentiful talent, and you can have waves where you're struggling a bit. Of course, training and development comes into it, but when you have genuine top level raw talent, it doesn't take a lot at all to harness that into a very good senior player.

Maybe other counties have moved forward leaving us behind.

Laoiseabu

Underage structures is one thing but the bottom line is we just don't have the players to compete at a higher level? Maybe the players are just not there at the moment?. As for Heshs post most of them players are minors and have a long way to go. Underage club football in Laois is one thing but senior inter county football will be a step too far for some of those guys in my opinion .

Unlaoised

PLAYERS NOT COMING THROUGH ETC ETC ETC  ::)

Lads we have went over and over this discussion again and again its really for another thread can we stick to the current players in the league the form of them and what the matches training and all things related to our division 4 journey plus what has or might happen.

LAOIS ABÚ

SCFC

Quote from: Unlaoised on February 14, 2018, 04:13:51 PM
PLAYERS NOT COMING THROUGH ETC ETC ETC  ::)

Lads we have went over and over this discussion again and again its really for another thread can we stick to the current players in the league the form of them and what the matches training and all things related to our division 4 journey plus what has or might happen.
They're not mutually exclusive.

Don Draper

From the highlights, Evan O Carroll looks to have had a monster game last night for UCD.

Helmut

In fairness it did look like he was saving himself on Saturday for this match.

Don Draper

Quote from: Helmut on February 15, 2018, 11:34:40 AM
In fairness it did look like he was saving himself on Saturday for this match.
BURN.

on the hop

The PRO

Quote from: Don Draper on February 15, 2018, 10:50:05 AM
From the highlights, Evan O Carroll looks to have had a monster game last night for UCD.
Didn't score from play  ;)

Laoiseabu

Neither did Lowry . One point and it was a free.

Laoiseabu

Don Draper

Quote from: The PRO on February 15, 2018, 02:38:54 PM
Was involved in a lot of plays, carried good ball throughout by the looks.

We're a great auld county for dragging a lad down all the same. Thats two now, to one simple post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMgvq3uAwJY

Giovanni

Quote from: Don Draper on February 15, 2018, 03:20:17 PM
Quote from: The PRO on February 15, 2018, 02:38:54 PM
Was involved in a lot of plays, carried good ball throughout by the looks.

We're a great auld county for dragging a lad down all the same. Thats two now, to one simple post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMgvq3uAwJY

Have to agree with you on that Don. It's certainly a strange kind of support anyway.