Football All-Stars 2014

Started by Sidney, September 01, 2014, 07:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blanketattack

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 25, 2014, 09:11:53 PM
so we giving donaghy an allstar for playing 2 good games this year? hardly makes sense

Kerry had 3 big games this year 2 v Mayo and the final and Donaghy played vital roles in all 3.

Not sure what all the hype about Connolly is about. He scored 0-1 of 2-25 against Wexford, 0-1 of 2-20 against Meath. 1-1 in the two other turkey shoots of Laois and Monaghan. Dublin had scored around 9-90 prior to the Donegal game and he only scored 2-4, that's a very poor return for someone people are saying is the best player in Ireland. He played well v Donegal but at the same time he missed a sitter of a goal which cost Dublin the game plus a few bad wides in the 2nd half, one of which was only 14 yards out.

Donaghy far more worthy of an All Star than Connolly in my opinion.

Syferus

Quote from: blanketattack on September 27, 2014, 12:34:19 AM
so we giving donaghy an allstar for playing 2 good games this year? hardly makes sense

Kerry had 3 big games this year 2 v Mayo and the final and Donaghy played vital roles in all 3.

Not sure what all the hype about Connolly is about. He scored 0-1 of 2-25 against Wexford, 0-1 of 2-20 against Meath. 1-1 in the two other turkey shoots of Laois and Monaghan. Dublin had scored around 9-90 prior to the Donegal game and he only scored 2-4, that's a very poor return for someone people are saying is the best player in Ireland. He played well v Donegal but at the same time he missed a sitter of a goal which cost Dublin the game plus a few bad wides in the 2nd half, one of which was only 14 yards out.

Only in the bizarre world where 70 minutes in September matter more than the previous eight months.

Put Up That Flag

Quote from: Syferus on September 27, 2014, 02:08:58 AM

Only in the bizarre world where 70 minutes in September matter more than the previous eight months.

Spot on there, every true football man knows its January to early March a player should be judged on their ability not September, the performances Cregger (aka The Bearded Magician) put in in the FBD this year and the first 2 league games was awesome, it will be a travesty if he doesn't get at least an all star and really he should get POTY, he really is that good according to your expert opinion!

blanketattack

Quote from: Put Up That Flag on September 27, 2014, 09:03:50 AM

Spot on there, every true football man knows its January to early March a player should be judged on their ability not September, the performances Cregger (aka The Bearded Magician) put in in the FBD this year and the first 2 league games was awesome, it will be a travesty if he doesn't get at least an all star and really he should get POTY, he really is that good according to your expert opinion!

;D From now on you shall be known as him that speaketh the truth

J OGorman

Like in the old school days when picking teams for a match, yer picking next. You've Donaghy,  young McHugh and Connolly to pick from to bolster your team. Fairly easy choice in fairness surely?

rodney trotter

Agree, if Connolly wasn't so lax with the goal shot Dublin would have went on to win the Semi against Donegal

He was excellent with St Vincents but that has nothing to do being selected for an All Star.

imtommygunn

Some of the points he got against Donegal were as good as you'll see. Even with three or four boys hanging off him.

If boys like Bernard brogan had stood up like him when the going got tough it would have been a different game.

rodney trotter

Connolly also had some poor wides in that game

Can hardly fault Brogan that much he has stood up plenty of times before for Dublin. Connolly has yet to win an All Star.

imtommygunn

He had a poor one at the end and the goal chance earlier but don't recall too many more wides.

Brogan hasn't stood up in a few years to be honest. In big games gooch's o'ses cavanaghs etc stand up. Brogan hasn't of late.

macdanger2

Donaghy and Connolly aren't in the running for the same position  :o

I'd have both on my all star team

tyroneboi

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 27, 2014, 11:20:33 AM
He had a poor one at the end and the goal chance earlier but don't recall too many more wides.

Brogan hasn't stood up in a few years to be honest. In big games gooch's o'ses cavanaghs etc stand up. Brogan hasn't of late.

2-3 in an all Ireland final isn't a bad return for a man that hasn't stood up!

blanketattack

Quote from: J OGorman on September 27, 2014, 10:19:35 AM
Like in the old school days when picking teams for a match, yer picking next. You've Donaghy,  young McHugh and Connolly to pick from to bolster your team. Fairly easy choice in fairness surely?

My first pick would be Gooch, that doesn't mean I think he deserves an All Star.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Put Up That Flag on September 27, 2014, 09:03:50 AM
Quote from: Syferus on September 27, 2014, 02:08:58 AM

No, No....that's way too direct. A far better metric is the Roscommon lad whose cousin from another county  scores a point against a team who beat another team in an FBD league. This is then, somehow, categorized as a Roscommon "achievement".

Syferus, You auld eejit. ;D

J OGorman

Quote from: blanketattack on September 27, 2014, 02:43:30 PM
Quote from: J OGorman on September 27, 2014, 10:19:35 AM

My first pick would be Gooch, that doesn't mean I think he deserves an All Star.

I didn't have the Gooch in my list

Seamus

Give them in block to the Kerry starting fifteen from last Sunday and let the whining, moaning and begrudgery continue.
"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".