The Official Tennis Thread

Started by Doogie Browser, January 26, 2010, 11:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiMucker

I don't think there is anything wrong with the underarm serve.
No doubt he is a bit of knob though, but as much as I like Rafa he can slow it up something fierce, and gets away with it when lesser known players would be punished.

Angelo

Huge win for Nadal.

Kyrgios is a monster server and he was up for it today and his first serve % was in the 70s so it was a big win Rafa had to grind out.

At the start he had a horrendous draw to make it through but with Cilic and Thiem now gone it makes it much easier. Tsonga will be tough on Saturday but should he come through that then I think we should see him in a semi at least.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

quit yo jibbajabba

Yer big man was in the pub last night

I shouldve tried the oul tennis...

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 04, 2019, 05:59:38 PM
I don't watch much tennis but have been watching Wimbledon for a change. Gees this kyrgios guy is a knob. Never seen as bad in tennis. Those underhand serves.

Bloody brilliant IMO.

Kyrgios is just one of those lads, bundles of talent but a bit wild.

Takes all sorts as too many Henmans and Federers would bore the pish out of you.

Milltown Row2

World number 2 beats world number 43! And it's a huge win.

What was with Nadals time wasting? Was it just to wind him up?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JPGJOHNNYG

Kyrgios is a bell end. Find it bizarre that people think he is great and funny. Cant understand why Tennis puts up with these guys and doesnt just boot them off the tour. If people think his antics are entertaining then why dont they just watch WWE or something.

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 05, 2019, 09:04:01 AM
World number 2 beats world number 43! And it's a huge win.

What was with Nadals time wasting? Was it just to wind him up?

Kyrgios is a monster server, one of the best in the game. When a guy like him brings a 1st serve % in the 70s on grass and particularly in the early rounds, he will be very, very difficult to beat. It was a great result for Rafa. It should be his toughest test until the semi final at least.

oakleaflad

Quote from: gallsman on July 04, 2019, 05:22:52 PM
Quote from: oakleaflad on July 04, 2019, 12:07:17 PM
Quote from: gallsman on July 04, 2019, 09:15:39 AM
Yes. She's also the only person to have won the grand slam on three different surfaces and to have won each of the slams four times. She was incredible. Seles was on the road to potentially being better than her until the stabbing.
Surely to win the grand slam you have to do it on all 3 surfaces by default? Anyway, others have done it too.

Discussion has to be between Graf, S Williams and Court imo.

The US Open was played on grass, then clay and then finally moved to hardcourt in 1978.

The Australian open was similarly played on grass until the late 80s before moving to hardcourt.

So I repeat, correctly, that Graf's Grand Slam is the only one that was won on three different surfaces.
Apologies, you are correct.

oakleaflad

Can't warm to Nadal at all. Federer number 1 for me although I can see arguments for Djokovic and Nadal. Andy Murray would have been an all time great if born in any other era.

HiMucker

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on July 05, 2019, 09:09:55 AM
Kyrgios is a bell end. Find it bizarre that people think he is great and funny. Cant understand why Tennis puts up with these guys and doesnt just boot them off the tour. If people think his antics are entertaining then why dont they just watch WWE or something.
I don't think hes great and funny but his antics are seriously blown out of proportion. Its because he goes against the grain of the image of tennis being an elite toff sport that the ruling bodies want to maintain. His behavior wouldnt garner much attention in most other sports. As Johnnycool says takes all sorts.

Keyser soze

Quote from: johnnycool on July 05, 2019, 09:02:40 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 04, 2019, 05:59:38 PM
I don't watch much tennis but have been watching Wimbledon for a change. Gees this kyrgios guy is a knob. Never seen as bad in tennis. Those underhand serves.

Bloody brilliant IMO.

Kyrgios is just one of those lads, bundles of talent but a bit wild.

Takes all sorts as too many Henmans and Federers would bore the pish out of you.

Henman and Federer in the same sentence  ;D ;D ;D ;D

gallsman

I'm a Nadal fan, but finding Federer's tennis boring?! Really?

johnnycool

Quote from: gallsman on July 05, 2019, 12:03:56 PM

It's more so his personality and blandness

nrico2006

Quote from: johnnycool on July 05, 2019, 01:46:45 PM

Nadal is hardly the life of the party.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Angelo

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 05, 2019, 02:19:15 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on July 05, 2019, 01:46:45 PM

Nadal is hardly the life of the party.

Never seen Nadal in a cardigan for a pre match outfit.