The Official Tennis Thread

Started by Doogie Browser, January 26, 2010, 11:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Murray on fire tonight but Novak not at the races either
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bennydorano

Well done Murray, some run. No longer Novak's bitch either, new world order

Minder

Quote from: bennydorano on November 20, 2016, 08:08:16 PM

The grand slams will tell us if that's the case

More importantly though, will he win SPOTY?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

SHEEDY

brillant week of tennis by murray, well deserved win and well deserved to end the year as number 1.
nil satis nisi optimum

No wides

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 20, 2016, 07:32:10 PM
Murray on fire tonight but Novak not at the races either

Toolbag Murray owned him.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Minder on November 20, 2016, 08:10:23 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on November 20, 2016, 08:08:16 PM

The grand slams will tell us if that's the case

More importantly though, will he win SPOTY?

Who else will win it? No standout ones to be honest, They'll never give it to Frampton (unfortunately) even if he wins early Jan
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bennydorano

Nadal's place in the pantheon of greats should be asterisked as well. Allegedly THE major beneficiary of the destroying of Operation Puerto's bloodbags.

imtommygunn

Olympics year. Mo farah could well beat him. Ennis retirement year too could give her better chance.

No wides

According to some here he's beat no one.  ??? :o ::)

Minder

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 20, 2016, 08:31:23 PM
Olympics year. Mo farah could well beat him. Ennis retirement year too could give her better chance.

I was being sarcastic by the way, it see,s when any Brot wins anything, no matter how big the event is the first thing people wonder is will they win SPOTY. As if it's a bigger achievement
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 20, 2016, 08:31:23 PM

Was thinking that too, but, always a cloud hanging over Mo

Would love Ennis to get it, the SPOTY that is

imtommygunn

;D

The gymnast guy whitlock too and maybe kenny the cyclist.

While some of us doubt mo i don't think the majority of british public too.

Murray has done great. He has taken so many beatings and still come back to keep challenging these guys. Incredible mental strength. Still not a major so counts for less but he has definitely stepped it up a lot and don't think he is a whipping boy any more.

No wides

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 20, 2016, 08:39:03 PM
;D

The gymnast guy whitlock too and maybe kenny the cyclist.

While some of us doubt mo i don't think the majority of british public too.

Murray has done great. He has taken so many beatings and still come back to keep challenging these guys. Incredible mental strength. Still not a major so counts for less but he has definitely stepped it up a lot and don't think he is a whipping boy any more.

3 slams 2 olympic golds - i'd love a whipping like that.

imtommygunn

He has been at times in the past though but has shown the character to get over it and beat the big guys which is admirable.

Estimator

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on November 09, 2016, 04:22:12 PM
Quote from: No wides on November 09, 2016, 03:30:35 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on November 09, 2016, 02:41:56 PM
Quote from: No wides on November 09, 2016, 01:52:54 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on November 09, 2016, 01:47:28 PM
Quote from: screenexile on November 09, 2016, 12:42:07 PM
Quote from: Nanderson on November 09, 2016, 11:57:56 AM
Quote from: gallsman on November 09, 2016, 09:34:26 AM
Each of them have won all four grand slams too. Murray has won two of them.

He's a great player but saying he's just behind that lot is ridiculous. In their primes, they battered him for fun.
Hardly fair to compare Murray to them in their primes when Roger was in his prime in 06/07 Murray was just a fresh faced teenager, similarly during Nadals prime in 08 and 10. The one person he was really competing with was Djockovic as they are the same age. Djockovic benefitted from getting that early major on the board in Aus Open 2008. Even during Novaks prime in 2011-2015 Murray looked like the only one who could compete with him. And now that Murray is in his prime he would batter at least Federer and Nadal for fun.

Maybe not Federer but Nadal/Djokovic/Murray are the same age . . . Nadal has 14 Slams and Djokovic 12!

Murray has a long way to go to be compared in the same league!!

Exactly, Murray is the same age as Nadal and Djokovic.  Murray would probably not even have his grandslams if Nadal hadn't had the injuries he has. Djokovic has a great record v Murray as well, especially in Grand Slams and I would put my money on Djokovic winning the upcoming ATP World Tour Finals again and getting back to number 1.

What a bullshit statement made with no prove and just a dislike for the brit I assume?

I actually like Murray,but going by Nadal's grand slam record before injury hit him I would say that he would have encountered Murray in one of his 3 grand slams wins and more than likely have won.  But due to injury Nadal has missed a lot of tournaments and even the dlams he has been involved in have seen only a shell of the former Nadal.

Murray won US Open 2012, runner up in Australian Open 2013, won Wimbledon 2013 in same years Nadal won French Open 2012 / 2013, won US open 2013 and runner up Australian Open 2012, bet loads wish they had that injury!
Exactly Some rubbish spouted on here, federer nadal and Djokovic all faced easier opponents when they won the first slam, that is a huge break to get which Murray never had that luxury, also Murray always had the weight of a nation on his shoulders and Fred Perry legacy to break which is harder especially with the English media, Murray has a great record against federer 11-14 also beat him in 2012 Olympics final and Djokovic, remember too federer has huge crowd support which helps and gives an advantage, his record against nadal and Djokovic not as good, remember too Murray had operation in 2013 and after that rehab to come to this level is testamount to Murray, Murray has a tougher draw than Novak in the atp finals but should go very close and I expect him to break his Australian hoodoo in January, 3 slams , 2 golds singles , 1 Davis cup is an unreal achievement, and should be celebrated, I reckon he will win 2 slams next year and win at least 8 like Lendl

I would doubt the assumption that Federer, Nadal and Djokovic all faced easier opponents in their first slam. I'd say that when they won their first they would have been a lower seed than Murray when he won his first. There isn't a massive age gap between RN, ND and AM. The first two have 26 slams between them and Murray has the same amount as Wawrinka. It will be Grand Slams that they are ultimately judged on.

Murray could push on from here and dominate for the next couple of years. But he needs to start adding to his Grand Slam total, and there will be plenty out there aiming to shoot him down. Murray put a serious effort in the last couple of months to get the number one spot. Not sure if that'll impact upon him at the beginning of next year.

Of course he'll win the big one... SPOTY
Ulster League Champions 2009