Big Sam sacked

Started by ExiledGael, January 09, 2008, 05:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FermPundit

Shearer rules out Newcastle job - BBC Sport

Sources close to Alan Shearer have confirmed to the BBC this evening that he is extremely unlikely to be the next manager of Newcastle.

Shearer says he is currently very happy with his job on Match of the Day.

The former England captain, who played for the Magpies for nearly 10 years and ended his career at St James' Park, had been strongly linked with the post.

Newcastle are beginning the hunt for their seventh manager in 11 years after the departure of Sam Allardyce.

Other names linked with the job include Martin Jol, Jose Mourinho, Jurgen Klinsmann, Marcello Lippi and former England boss Steve McClaren.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Canalman

Far too early to sack him on the basis of results (they are at least 11th in the table).I presume there is more to this than meets the eye.
On another point both Owen and Duff looked overweight on MOTD last weekend. Totally agree with previous poster about Damien Duff as I also think he is totally overrated.

Jol could be the replacement, although would love to see Shearer get it and screw it up.

Doogie Browser

Typical reaction by the geordies, as someone has stated they really do think they have a divine right to be a top team despite years of mediocrity.  In fairness to the Newcastle hierarchy they did not choose sam he was appointed by last board and they never seemed to click.  However he has bought some rubbish and i think when they saw he was going to offer £8m quid for Tal ben Haim they realised this guy Alderdice (was much better as Speaker in the assembly) must be a clown.
Would be great to see Shearer and Keane pit their wits in a Tyne/Wear derby though!
Think shearer is too canny (gettit) to take on the job at the moment, he wouldn't want to stain his image with the geordies.
Great city by the way, was there once for a stag do and the place was brilliant.

Tony hawks

Im afraid i have to disagree with most of the contributors here I feel he should have been sacked;

1 The players he signed were awful,the best example is Joey Barton a timebomb if there was everone,Allan Smith another good example

2 The players were played out of position Martins is an obvious example.

3 He never was the owners prefered choice

4 His style of football makes Jack Charlton seem progressive.

5 His refusal to appear on BBC programme Tv or radio,in a city dominated by the beeb to calm the restless natives.

6 Questions about his character.

ONeill

There is not one English manager capable of managing a big club to greatness. Their current generation of aged 35-55  managers are dire and appear to be 10-15 years behind their foreign counterparts in terms of tactics and knowledge of the game.  Fcukers spent the 80s boozing and stroking Peter Stringfellow's mullet.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony hawks

Quote from: ONeill on January 09, 2008, 10:36:53 PM
There is not one English manager capable of managing a big club to greatness. Their current generation of aged 35-55  managers are dire and appear to be 10-15 years behind their foreign counterparts in terms of tactics and knowledge of the game.  Fcukers spent the 80s boozing and stroking Peter Stringfellow's mullet.
Thats very true,i would be interested to know how many english managers coach in europe.

Just got a gut feeling Jurgen will the new manager.

ONeill

Yer man Coleman is managing Real Sociedad. He's coming on nicely......

QuoteColeman said he had been late arriving to that day's media briefing due to flooding at his flat caused by his washing machine, but Spanish media also reported he had been at a nightclub until the early hours of the morning.

He later admitted he had been out late "somewhere I shouldn't have been" on Thursday, and that he had apologised to his players prior to the game.
BBC
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Bogball XV

I liked big sam, I think this is extremely harsh by Newcastle, he's played feck all games and not done too badly, although injuries have been rough on him - I'd take him for the ireland job any day of the week - unfortunately he'll hard go there for €1m p.a - he was on £2M wasn't he?

Minder

Colemans wife was bugging him for a while, and i dont mean "bugging" as in "dry the dishes Chris"......he likes a bit of "wine, women & song" by all accounts.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

inisceithleann

I've no sympathy for big Sam. He was on fantastic money and knew the expectation levels of Geordies. All football clubs are either Ltds or Plcs these days and money is what it's all about and that means Europe of some sort at least.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

Doogie Browser

She caught him by the short and curlies no doubt.  A mate spotted him in the Metro in Derry last summer on the lash said he was great craic and loved the sauce.

Rav67

Quote from: Square Ball on January 09, 2008, 07:19:00 PM
Is it true that the sacking will cost Newcastle £50m if his backroom staff are sacked as well?

That was the headline in one of the tabloids but unsurprisingly it was well over-exaggerated.  It was taking into account paying all of Fat Sam's backroom staff's contracts up, as well as the value of a new contract at £2.5m a year for his successor, contracts for his backroom staff and also in the region of £20m spending money!

Quote from: Doogie Browser on January 09, 2008, 10:22:45 PM
Typical reaction by the geordies, as someone has stated they really do think they have a divine right to be a top team despite years of mediocrity.  In fairness to the Newcastle hierarchy they did not choose sam he was appointed by last board and they never seemed to click.  However he has bought some rubbish and i think when they saw he was going to offer £8m quid for Tal ben Haim they realised this guy Alderdice (was much better as Speaker in the assembly) must be a clown.
Would be great to see Shearer and Keane pit their wits in a Tyne/Wear derby though!
Think shearer is too canny (gettit) to take on the job at the moment, he wouldn't want to stain his image with the geordies.
Great city by the way, was there once for a stag do and the place was brilliant.

Living in Newcastle at the minute, the fans (particularly taxi drivers who all seem to be season-ticket holders) seem to expect they should be up in the European spots.  They never liked Big Sam from the very start due to the poor results, arrogance, insistence on playing wingers the wrong side, and the poor entertainment on show.

inisceithleann

I saw Newcastle play at Eastlands in October (was extremely bored in the flat) and I should have demanded my money back. City destroyed them.Their problem as always was defending. How hard can it be to find 4 decent defenders? Given turned round to us behind the goals and basically said what the hell was he supposed to do. The worse team I've ever seen live. I feel for their fans. The club seems to be unable of ever achieving success.

Minder

Quote from: inisceithleann on January 09, 2008, 10:56:53 PM
I saw Newcastle play at Eastlands in October (was extremely bored in the flat) and I should have demanded my money back. City destroyed them.There problem as always was defending. How hard can it be to find 4 decent defenders. Given turned round to us behind the goals and basically said what the hell was he supposed to do. The worse team I've ever seen live. I feel for their fans. The club seems to be unable of ever achieving success.

Their fans are a shower of whinging f**kers, they think they have some sort of divine right to be challenging and winning major honours. I remember Keegans first game in charge, there were 29000 at St James Park, i would hazard a guess that there wasnt half that the previous week.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

inisceithleann

Quote from: Minder on January 09, 2008, 10:59:46 PM
Quote from: inisceithleann on January 09, 2008, 10:56:53 PM
I saw Newcastle play at Eastlands in October (was extremely bored in the flat) and I should have demanded my money back. City destroyed them.There problem as always was defending. How hard can it be to find 4 decent defenders. Given turned round to us behind the goals and basically said what the hell was he supposed to do. The worse team I've ever seen live. I feel for their fans. The club seems to be unable of ever achieving success.

Their fans are a shower of whinging f**kers, they think they have some sort of divine right to be challenging and winning major honours. I remember Keegans first game in charge, there were 29000 at St James Park, i would hazard a guess that there wasnt half that the previous week.

Bit harsh. I know a few Geordies and they're real football men.