Laochra Gael Peter Canavan

Started by clarshack, January 06, 2008, 04:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

I'm trying to close a deal with an organisation in Derry. The man I'm dealing with is called Samuel - not Sam or Sammy, but Samuel. I have to send him a quote, that he has to take to his board. Will I blow the deal if I address it "Derry, Co. Derry"? How should I proceed?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Hardy on January 09, 2008, 11:42:53 PM
I'm trying to close a deal with an organisation in Derry. The man I'm dealing with is called Samuel - not Sam or Sammy, but Samuel. I have to send him a quote, that he has to take to his board. Will I blow the deal if I address it "Derry, Co. Derry"? How should I proceed?

Just Derry City I'd say Hardy, no need for the county, and that shouldn't offend sensitivities too much if he kicks with the other one, which is not guaranteed.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

muppet

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on January 09, 2008, 11:46:06 PM

Just Derry City I'd say Hardy, no need for the county, and that shouldn't offend sensitivities too much if he kicks with the other one, which is not guaranteed.

Hardy if you as a Meathman called it Londonderry I'd say he would be very suspicious of you. Regardless of his background he would expect a southerner to call it Derry, anything different will cast you in a very odd light.
MWWSI 2017

Doire abú

Anywhere online where one could watch the TG4 show in Joe Brolly they did a while ago?

Hardy

Thanks lads. That was slightly tongue-in-cheek banter last night. I used "Derry", with the UK postcode.

feetofflames

I had heard that they are now calling it the walled city or even the maiden city.
I have a friend who sent a postcard back from holidays to the walled city and it got there sure enough.
Chief Wiggum

Star Spangler

That's no good if you're on the Waterside though.

Minder

If you have had any correspondence/letters from him i think best practise is to call it what he has called it. If he is offended easily speaks volumes about him.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Leo

What has all this Derry talk to do with Tyrone's famous diving exponent?
Fierce tame altogether

feetofflames

Leo  - if Peter Canavan stood at the bar beside you to order a pint, yer knees would be knocking and ye'd be foaming at the mouth to get a simple hello from the diminutive little legend.
Chief Wiggum

Star Spangler

Quote from: feetofflames on January 10, 2008, 12:32:06 PM
Leo  - if Peter Canavan stood at the bar beside you to order a pint, yer knees would be knocking and ye'd be foaming at the mouth to get a simple hello from the diminutive little legend.

:D

Leo

Quote from: Star Spangler on January 10, 2008, 12:34:11 PM
Quote from: feetofflames on January 10, 2008, 12:32:06 PM

:D

Know him well - knew his father - knees never knock anyway - dont go into bars - might see him at the pool though.
Fierce tame altogether

red hander

See that new state-of-the-art double decker Ulsterbus that goes from Belfast via Dungiven has a flashing sign on the front that alternates between Londonderry and Derry every couple of seconds ... they're taking no chances

Leo

Quote from: red hander on January 10, 2008, 01:56:20 PM
See that new state-of-the-art double decker Ulsterbus that goes from Belfast via Dungiven has a flashing sign on the front that alternates between Londonderry and Derry every couple of seconds ... they're taking no chances

Might as well join in the fun.
Does anyone know who "the Londonderry Minor" is?
Heard a former Derry player introduced in these terms by the MC at a business jolly in Belfast.
Fierce tame altogether

feetofflames

state-of-the-art double decker Ulsterbus that goes from Belfast via Dungiven has a flashing sign on the front that alternates between Londonderry and Derry every couple of seconds ... they're taking no chances

It takes more than a couple of seconds to get through Dungiven, there could be trouble so.  Whay dont they put up the walled city.....blah
Chief Wiggum