Laochra Gael Peter Canavan

Started by clarshack, January 06, 2008, 04:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Boone

You could see the gradual hair loss over the 15 years ;)

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Aaron Boone on January 10, 2008, 11:04:14 PM
You could see the gradual hair loss over the 15 years ;)

Yeah, one microsecond in 1993!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Rufus T Firefly

The sight of him getting emptied against Meath, brought to mind Hardy's fascinating description of the same event.  I forget the exact words used, but it made me guffaw at the time! Any chance of a reminder Hardy?  ;D

Doire abú

Quote from: Star Spangler on January 10, 2008, 08:02:59 PM
Quote from: Doire abú on January 10, 2008, 06:57:39 PM
Quote from: Star Spangler on January 10, 2008, 12:03:42 PM
That's no good if you're on the Waterside though.

Most recent figures put the Waterside at 54% Catholic now which startled me slightly

You missed the point.  I was referring to the comment that the dump could be called the Walled city.  The Waterside is outside the walls.

Yeah just got the point as I was writing out my reply, but decided to post it anyway.

Back on topic, I forgot about the show? Repeat at all?

orangeman

The man was a genius - very elusive - he seemed to go in between Brian Mc Gilligan's legs once and score a point - class act.

Hardy

I can't remember now Rufus.

Suffice it to say, though, that a good long detailed look at the video in slow motion will dispel a lot of myths. The next time the subject comes up for debate here I'm just going to draw a big square in the air with my two hands, like the refs in the rugby do.

Louth Exile

What is your take on the incident in question Hardy?

For those looking for the......
Quote from: Hardy on January 11, 2008, 10:35:16 AM
big square in the air with my two hands, like the refs in the rugby do.
It can be viewed at www.tg4.tv, you will find it under sport (naturally) and move it on to about 12 minutes into the programme
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

bennydorano

Martin McConnell on Dooher was more cynical.

Hardy

Benny I'm not going there again.

Louth Exile, I was just referring to the generally accepted suggestion that John McDermott took Peter Canavan out of that game. The facts of what happened, rather than my take on it, are to be seen from a viewing of the video in slow motion.

In summary, McDermott made no contact at all with Peter, other than to trip over him as he fell. Canavan's injury was a very nasty (ugly to look at on the video) twisted ankle, caused when he caught his foot under himself as he leaned back to take the shot (and avoid McDermott's lunge).

I've often used it as an example of where popular opinion and accepted versions of events are totally wrong and how most people don't even bother to check the facts before subscribing to such  myths and legends.

Two things:

1. I'm not claiming that McDermott didn't TRY to take out, maim, ore even murder Canavan. I'm not saying he did either, because (unlike Benny :P) I have no way of reading people's minds from a distance. I'm only stating the fact that, whatever he was trying to do, he failed and missed Canavan completely.

2. I'm not really on for another long debate on ancient history, but if anyone wants to challenge my statement on what happened, could I please ask them to check the video first.

BennyHarp

Just watched Laochra Gael on tg4.tv during my lunch break there and thoroughly enjoyed it - been a pleasure to grow up watching Peter at his best!!

With regard to the John McDermott incident, i dont think it was the McDermott challenge that injured Peter's ankle, but there is without shadow of a doubt blantant intent to take him out as you can actually see McDermott looking at Peter and dipping the shoulder just as he kicked the ball. This in my view is as cowardly and with injury intent as a tackle can get!
That was never a square ball!!

Hardy

Another mind reader!. I am in awe.

rrhf

I think that there is very little doubt that a serious injury would be caused by the way the tackle was attempted.  There was in the indo or press a  famous picture of the wild eyes of Mc dermott  from the far side as he moved in for the kill.  Canavan was vulnerable - he was on one leg concentraing on steering a ball over the bar.  Mc dermott knew what he was at.  Pter was lucky to have the career he did after that.  Did anyone see Cavlans point from the end line.  Wow and ultimately what a waste of talent.  Also Did anyone see Mc Gilligan knocking the scone outta Donaghy as the ball was throwin in Tyrone V Derry 91.  And Finally lest ye all forget Canavan was only one half of the terrible twins..

Louth Exile

I have to admit, you do have a case Hardy. Looking at the replay, Mc Dermotts actions do not appear to directly cause the injury in question. They do however show a very late and very dangerous lunge at him. But as you say, ancient history
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Hardy

his holiness nb

Canavan was over rated, not a patch on Mossie Quinn.
;)
Ask me holy bollix