Brian Moore and Croke Park

Started by Dinny Breen, December 31, 2007, 02:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote taken from the Torygraph..

QuoteI enjoyed this year's rugby - a flawed, but compelling Six Nations and a fantastic World Cup supplemented by a brilliant Heineken Cup - but it will be two different emotions, rather than games, that will stay with me from this year past.

First, the spontaneous standing ovation given by the Irish crowd at Croke Park to the English on their first visit, was a moment of such poignancy that I fall well short when I try to articulate what it felt like to be there. Having already been told by BBC management that starting off my commentary by reflecting that the last time England had been there they had murdered the Irish was not a good idea, I thought I would concentrate on what most assumed would be an equivocal reception, at best.

As the sustained and genuine ovation mounted, I felt my throat go dry, my eyes well and my breath shorten. Here was the hand of history, created by decent people and from within a game I love. Sorry, but football, for all its wealth, could never have achieved this; I doubt they could even have contemplated holding the equivalent fixture.
#newbridgeornowhere

muppet

MWWSI 2017

inisceithleann

It's impossible to watch a rugby match on BBC when Moore is commentating, I've never heard somone as biased when commentating on a game.  I remember him alright though when watching that game he seemed to be genuinely moved. But got to agree with muppet, Ireland's call has to go.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

Gnevin

Quote from: inisceithleann on December 31, 2007, 04:12:20 PM
It's impossible to watch a rugby match on BBC when Moore is commentating, I've never heard somone as biased when commentating on a game.  I remember him alright though when watching that game he seemed to be genuinely moved. But got to agree with muppet, Ireland's call has to go.
Lets not drag up that old chestnut again 
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Main Street

It was a mere preamble compared to the tanking the English got that day on the pitch.

43 - 13  ;D

thejuice

.......but ultimately Ireland won nothing and England later contested a World Cup final.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

never kickt a ball

Quote from: thejuice on December 31, 2007, 08:03:52 PM
.......but ultimately Ireland won nothing and England later contested a World Cup final.

True about Ireland but what did England win?

Windmill abu

Quotebut ultimately Ireland won nothing and England later contested a World Cup final.

Ireland won the Triple Crown and England lost a World Cup Final

Never underestimate the power of complaining

Minder

Quote from: Windmill abu on January 01, 2008, 02:14:18 AM
Quotebut ultimately Ireland won nothing and England later contested a World Cup final.

Ask the Irish players would they rather win triple crown or contest World Cup Final..............
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

redcard

Quote from: Minder on January 01, 2008, 03:25:09 AM

Ask the Irish players would they rather win triple crown or contest World Cup Final..............

If they had any Keanesque blood in them, Minder, they should not be happy with either  ;)

thejuice

Ireland won the Triple Crown.........

..........Wicklow won the Tommy Murphy.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

magickingdom

nothing annoys me more than 'winning' the triple crown. wtf its rubbish, its a 6 nations tournament - you could actually finish 3rd and still win the triple crown, would that then be spun as a success? please..