The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy Tibbs

Liverpool reveal Klinsmann talks 

Benitez will be disappointed by Hicks' revelations
Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks has revealed the club held talks with Jurgen Klinsmann about taking over from Rafael Benitez as manager.
Benitez has been under pressure this season with the club struggling in the Champions League and faltering in the Premier League title race.

"We attempted to negotiate an option," Hicks told the Liverpool Echo.

"It was as an insurance policy, to have him become manager if Rafa left for Real Madrid or other rumoured clubs."

Hicks added: "Or in case our communication spiralled out of control for some reason."

Klinsmann's services have now been secured by Bayern Munich and he will take over the German club at the end of this season.

606: DEBATE
Will Rafa Benitez survive this latest revelation?

The confirmation of talks between Klinsmann and his bosses will come as a blow to Benitez, who has publicly stated his desire to remain in charge at Anfield after upsetting Hicks and fellow Liverpool owner George Gillett earlier this season.

Benitez criticised the duo about their transfer policy and the Spaniard's remarks angered both owners and put his position in jeopardy.

The side's indifferent form this season has not helped Benitez's cause with a 4-1 win over Marseille in their last group game of the Champions League needed to book their place in the knockout stages.

The Reds are 12 points off the top of the Premier League table, while being knocked out of the Carling Cup by Chelsea and being taken to a replay by struggling Luton in the FA Cup third round.

Rafa ain't gona be about too much longer with revelations like this...

Minder

Apparentley Klinsmann was signed up the other day was because of the interest from Liverpool.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

To be honest I think Rafa's position is untenable at this stage without a seismic shift in either the team's performances or the attitudes of the Americans. American owners would not be as familiar with the cult of the manager over on this side of the pond. Coaches come and go in the US very regularly, it's more of a 'Front Office' change that tends to change the attitude towards the types of players being recruited etc.

Rafa's body language over the past month has been very very defeated looking, and I think this has seeped through to the players. There was absolutely no bite, or spring in their step at all last Saturday. It was muck to be honest.

I think Rafa is a good manager, but he has undermined himself with his whinging to the press, which has in turn made him a black sheep in the eyes of Gilette and Hicks.

Another 'rebuilding' phase approaches methinks.

Chrisowc

Just when you think Dumb & and Dumber can't get anymore Dumb they decide to air Liverpool's dirty laundry in public.  They are turning the club into a circus and a laughing stock.

Not only did they admit talking to Klinsmann (incase Rafa left of his own accord.  FFS!) they admitted they were going to sack him if they had been knocked out of the Champions League.

Whether you think it is time for Rafa to move on or not this is not the way to handle things.

Being a stubborn bugger I hope he fights through this but you wouldn't blame him if he walked.

Liverpool will be the next Newcastle with these clowns at the helm.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

mackers

I agree Chris, I think this latest revelation speaks more about the Americans than it does about Rafa. What sort of way is this to treat your manager? I think it's lawrenson who stated on radio that he heard the Americans will be away before Rafa. I hope so if this is how they treat their manager and the mess they're making of the proposed new stadium.
Rafa should be given more time like Slur Alex was given, he obviously has a passion for the club and has a proven track record.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

bingobus

In fairness we all thought they were great at first, they talked a great game and sold themselves well. In hindsight, they sold us a pup. (Credit to Magpie Seanie, the manc, who seen them for what they are)

They know as much about running a football club, as Homer knows about been a Nucleur plant safety officer.

Firstly, they can the original stadium plans and then release new plans that had everyone jumping. Then they can these and go back to the drawing board and still can't settle on a design due to prohibitive costs and the credit crunch.

They want to dictate signings to Rafa and listen to Parry for this element of running a club. They go to the press at every whim and I can't every remember another club (even Newcastle) admitting to negotiating with another manager, while the current one is still in charge. Absolute joke and its no wonder that these two of pals of George W Bush!!

I hope this gives the players a kick up the ass and they start to deliver on the field for their manager. If they don't, they must want him out as well as the "owners".

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: J70 on January 14, 2008, 04:07:49 AM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 14, 2008, 01:37:24 AM
QuoteSell Gerrard

When this old chesnut comes up I have to say I laugh. One way not to progress is not to sell your best players. The amount of times Gerrard has pulled something out of the bag for the team when needed is absolutely ridiculous and unfortunately a damning indictment of the quality of his teammates because unless he makes something happen you can be sure none of the others are capable of doing much.

The problem is the rest of the team from midfield up (bar Gerrard and Torres) is simply not good enough to win league titles. There are some good players there but short of 2 or 3 attacking players of genuine quality. Certainly if Mourinho were to arrive at the club he wouldn't be too pleased to see Gerrard going the other way.

So the likes of Mascherano and Alonso are not good enough now either?

I should have been more specific and said that we lack genuine quality in wide areas and up front to help Torres. That said Alonso hasn't played up to this capabilities for quite a while now IMO.

Certainly these new owners (especially that cowboy Hicks) look like big trouble. They are never out of the media mouthing off about something. Not the Liverpool way at all. Despite being in charge for donkey's years you very rarely heard from the Moores family. The way it should be.l

J70

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 14, 2008, 01:14:13 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 14, 2008, 04:07:49 AM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 14, 2008, 01:37:24 AM
QuoteSell Gerrard

When this old chesnut comes up I have to say I laugh. One way not to progress is not to sell your best players. The amount of times Gerrard has pulled something out of the bag for the team when needed is absolutely ridiculous and unfortunately a damning indictment of the quality of his teammates because unless he makes something happen you can be sure none of the others are capable of doing much.

The problem is the rest of the team from midfield up (bar Gerrard and Torres) is simply not good enough to win league titles. There are some good players there but short of 2 or 3 attacking players of genuine quality. Certainly if Mourinho were to arrive at the club he wouldn't be too pleased to see Gerrard going the other way.

So the likes of Mascherano and Alonso are not good enough now either?

I should have been more specific and said that we lack genuine quality in wide areas and up front to help Torres. That said Alonso hasn't played up to this capabilitiesl for quite a while now IMO.

Certainly these new owners (especially that cowboy Hicks) look like big trouble. They are never out of the media mouthing off about something. Not the Liverpool way at all. Despite being in charge for donkey's years you very rarely heard from the Moores family. The way it should be.l

Alonso was playing very well before he got injured, but otherwise I take your point.

If these latest reports are true, Rafa should just tell them where to stick the job. Its not as if he'll have trouble getting another. 

brokencrossbar1

I think Rafa should ride the storm.  He may have made dubious signings but as a whole I think they are a stronger squad because of him.  The current poor run is not a true reflection of how good the team is and should be put in perspective.

Stay on and if they are there in the summer they may sack hima nd he gets a good severence package.  If they are not there any new owner will have to stick by him or sack him and he gets the same severance package.

The Yansk should shut their gobs and so should Rafa and let the palyers do the talking.  As big Sami said it is affecting the players as much as anyone.

Minder

Lads lets not let the owners meddling cloud the issue, Rafa has not been able to put together a team that has been able to challenge for the premiership in 4 seasons now. He has bought questionably to put it generously.

Gabriel_Hurl

brokencrossbar1

Minder, I don't buy into that.  Rafa stsed at the outset that he had a five year plan to win the Premiership and build a solid foundation.  I think he has gone some way to doing that and recent results do not reflect that.  This is due to instability at the club over a number of things and obviously they are having a baring on the players. 

If at the end of his 5th year they had not succeeded then give him his Pink slip.  Until then I would prefer to see him stay, with the owners full backing.

Minder

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 14, 2008, 01:56:53 PM
Minder, I don't buy into that.  Rafa stsed at the outset that he had a five year plan to win the Premiership and build a solid foundation.  I think he has gone some way to doing that and recent results do not reflect that.  This is due to instability at the club over a number of things and obviously they are having a baring on the players. 

If at the end of his 5th year they had not succeeded then give him his Pink slip.  Until then I would prefer to see him stay, with the owners full backing.

Fair enough but if we were seeing an improvement i would be happy enough and were gradually building, Torres has been fantastic and my biggest fear is losing him if when Benitez goes, but there are too many players that are not good enough, regardless of the owners and managers rift.

Minder

Well done Leg End, thanks for breaking that news for us.

Gabriel_Hurl

Next season's home shirt apparently

Another Euro one